Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Frey
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!!! I need help with wiring a car stereo to my bike. Can anyone help? We have put the hot to the battery and grounded it to the frame no power to the radio. We then tried to connect it to the fuse box and the frame still no power.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Could there be a blown fuse in the stereo itself?

Are you sure the power line is going to the (+) positive terminal when the (-) negitive is grounded to the frame?

Try touching wires directly to both battery terminals, instead of grounding to the frame.

Battery charged up?

All fuses in fuse box good?

Just trying to think of some simple, obvious things that might be over looked.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
HELP!!! I need help with wiring a car stereo to my bike. Can anyone help? We have put the hot to the battery and grounded it to the frame no power to the radio. We then tried to connect it to the fuse box and the frame still no power.
you probably have a memory wire that also has to be hooked to battery positive to make most newer stereos to work.It is usually yellow,but that isn't written in stone, look at the wiring diagram and that came with the unit if you have it,

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
You need to connect the AUX 12V wire to the battery positive.

·
Frey
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
we tried wiring the + and - to the batt and no fuses blown. We put the memory and the hot to the + and still nothing

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
we tried wiring the + and - to the batt and no fuses blown. We put the memory and the hot to the + and still nothing
did you hear it play before or is it new? could just be a bad stereo:confused:

·
Registered
191 Posts
What brand is it? A lot of cheap and no name car stereos have a very high defective rate.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
What brand is it? A lot of cheap and no name car stereos have a very high defective rate.
2X on that. Just for S#!ts & giggles, did you check the status of your battery? It's not dead is it? I'm suspecting a bum stereo.

·
Frey
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks ya'll I will try the car battery trick later today and keep you all posted. BTW it is a Kenwood no fuse excpet for the one to the memory and it is good. My battery is good as well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Frey:

I used to work on car stereos and have very bad news for you. If someone or yourself plugged the + and - on the stereo backwards at any time, the kenwood stereos will blow PC board copper runs. I had many, many kenwoods come into the shop where this happened. It's an easy fix if your are electronically adept. Hope it's only a missing connection to the stereo for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
458 Posts
My stereo system for my bike is an IPOD NANO straped to my arm with the headphone wires inside my shirt, ear buds then the helmet.
Never thought about putting a car radio on the bike, would like to see how that looks when your done. Im guessing you have a windshield for all this mounting.
No further advice on your problem, looks like the guys before me covered it quite well. Something to think about though. You drive somewhere kick back turn on the radio for a couple hours then when its time to leave theres not enough juice left in the battery to get the bike started.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts