Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

got my 2006 VN750 a while back. can someone help me read the gauge because this can't be right? is this 7,942 miles or 794 miles?

and what does the number on the bottom means?
Speedometer Odometer Motor vehicle Vehicle Gauge

·
Registered
366 Posts
Your bike has 794 miles on it and the white number is tenths of a mile. The bottom is a trip odometer and is resettable to zero by spinning the black knob on the bottom right of the speedo. Your trip odometer has 427 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
There’s nothing to say that the Speedo is not a replacement and that number is inaccurate. But at the same time, if it’s a 2006 and it only has 794 miles on it then it’s likely sat for the better part of the last 15 years. Sometimes underuse is way worse than overuse.

What exactly does “don’t work” mean in this case?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There’s nothing to say that the Speedo is not a replacement and that number is inaccurate. But at the same time, if it’s a 2006 and it only has 794 miles on it then it’s likely sat for the better part of the last 15 years. Sometimes underuse is way worse than overuse.

What exactly does “don’t work” mean in this case?
The bike looks brand new so I actually believe that. I'm the third owner, the second owner bought it dead and never bothered to work on it. just sat in his garage.

I either had a very good deal at 500$, or I bought an unfixable bike. we'll see

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
There you go! I don't see any signs of use
Even the RPM gauge still has the break in sticker

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

That looks immaculate. Mint.

Is the airbox gone or just the ducts removed?

That fuel filter could cause problems. Sometimes they do, make sure the fuel lines don't run upward.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
That looks immaculate. Mint. No corrosion anywhere that I can spot.

Is the airbox gone or just the ducts removed?

That fuel filter could cause problems. Sometimes they do, make sure the fuel lines don't run upward.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Looks great, but a certain element in the motorcycle culture can be...........ah, shall we say less than truthful. A look at the splines might tell you if 700 miles is correct - you need to slap some grease in there anyway. To get that first startup you just need fire, fuel and air. Since the plenum is off, I suggest you spray in a liberal amount of carb cleaner; let it set in there a day or so; Meantime 1. pull the plugs and wire brush the crud off; 2. go get a nice new hot battery and install it; 3. Get a tank of new clean gas and add about a half a can of Sea Foam. Good luck.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Looks really nice. I would check the date codes on the tires. I agree on the splines. If it is really that low mileage it may be one that didn't get much (if any) lube at the factory. Missing the radiator cover also. Kind of odd to be missing that and look so nice. Good luck.

·
Registered
VN 750 1994 RED/BLACK/SILVER
71 Posts
Be very cautious. I thought you can only use carb cleaner on the " metalic parts, if there is any other material sprayed it usually ruins it, plastic floats, membranes e.t.c. I would only use it on a stripped down carburettor. Best run through everything, drop the oil that will tell a tale in itself. Do a check through like it just come out the factory. Check the stator output, ignition lead, plug caps, switch connections, wiring loom. Do the clocks have serial numbers on them? Are there any service documents, Log book, MOT, (in the UK we have a yearly road worthy test, after a vehicle is three years old), equivalent information, dealer name? Dealer sticker on there? I just paid £1,500 for a 20,000 mile1994 example in the UK. You should have a "peach" of a machine once sorted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for the advice everyone! I really appreciate it!
I currently don't even have the time to look at the bike, in about a month I'll start working on it then start another thread with the problems that I've faced

1 - 14 of 14 Posts