Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just installed a mf battery a couple months ago but it doesn't seem like it still takes much to drain the bike at all. while riding yesterday to the bank it started cutting out like it was out of gas, switched to reserve and got to the bank and back fine and fueled up. went to leave work and the bike was dead. took to charger in to work and charged it to full while taking the kids trick or treating, the bike started fine and drove it home. got up to go to work the next day and went to sears and it starting cutting out again like it was out of gas switched to reserve again and tried to start it but it is dead again.
Does this sound like a fuel issue, a battery issue or if my stator was to far gone would it cause it to cut out like that went the juice was used up in the battery like it would in a car if the alternator is bad. thanks in advance for any suggestions, never fails after riding a couple weeks in 30 degree weather its suppose to be 75 all week and my ride is down. just my luck!

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
I'm not sure if a dying stator will cause your bike to be fuel-starved, but it will definitely contribute to the battery drain (which seems like your biggest problem at the moment). It doesn't look (from your sig) like you have a voltmeter installed - have you tested the charging system at all? Just in the garage, starting the bike, and revving the engine to 2500+ rpm with a voltmeter on the battery? With a fully charged battery (12.8v) you should see a jump in voltage to 13.5-14.5v when the rpms are above 2500. If you're not seeing that, then you'll want to test the r/r (and hopefully that's the problem -easy fix).

For the fuel delivery issues, I'd bank on bad gas, crud in your carbs or a vent line that's out of position. When was the last time you put in a full tank of gas?

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I fill it up 2 - 3 times a week. it had at least a quarter tank when it did it first then I filled it up and added 2 oz of seafoam and it did it 25 miles later. havent tested the charging system yet but that will be first when I get it home.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
I fill it up 2 - 3 times a week. it had at least a quarter tank when it did it first then I filled it up and added 2 oz of seafoam and it did it 25 miles later. havent tested the charging system yet but that will be first when I get it home.
Darn, I was hoping you'd say, "Haven't put in a full tank for 2 months" or something. Rules out bad gas. And the Seafoam shoulda taken care of small bits o' crud. Definitely test the charging system and let us know what you find. 'Tis the season for engine pulls and stator installs. :hitanykey

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tis the season, it could have waited a couple more weeks, its 75 out here today. I've been riding in 35 degree for a couple weeks.
if it is the r/r or the stator any recommendations on where to get one. bike bandit want $311 for the stator and 100 for the r/r. I would consider a used r/r but think I would have to go new on the stator since it is so difficult to replace but 311 is pretty steep at the moment, anyplace out thee cheaper!

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
tis the season, it could have waited a couple more weeks, its 75 out here today. I've been riding in 35 degree for a couple weeks.
if it is the r/r or the stator any recommendations on where to get one. bike bandit want $311 for the stator and 100 for the r/r. I would consider a used r/r but think I would have to go new on the stator since it is so difficult to replace but 311 is pretty steep at the moment, anyplace out thee cheaper!
Well after complaining about the Buy It Now prices on eBay, I did see a new stator on there for around $150. I've gotten mine as rebuilts, but maybe someone else can pipe in on where to get a cheaper new one??

·
Now what
400 Posts
It's a long shot, but I'd check all the connections for tightness. A corroded ground cable can cause weird problems. There's a bullet connector in the white and red wire coming off the battery. Most of the current to and from the battery travels through that connector. I had a loose ground cable on the battery and it caused the bike to sputter, back fire and act like it was running out of gas. The stator is probably shot, but that costs a lot to replace (in money and time). Checking out connections is free. Good luck.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
If the charging system checks out OK, I'd do like Ironman suggests and check all the connections. Might just be something simple.

Also, a sometimes typical sign the stator is shot is the headlight not working.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Well after complaining about the Buy It Now prices on eBay, I did see a new stator on there for around $150. I've gotten mine as rebuilts, but maybe someone else can pipe in on where to get a cheaper new one??
I think price is not the only thing to take into consideration here. There was a link here within the past month where there was a stator for the vn750 that put out several amps more than OEM. Sorry but I don`t recall who it was. If or when I have to replace my stator I would pay a higher price to gain another 5-7 amps. Does anyone know who sells this stator?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have heard that the stock stators don't last that long. The aftermarket ones will last alittle longer from what I have been reading here. Just put in another stator myself 2 weeks ago. The PO had a Kaw one put in by the dealership, lasted 2 yrs. Here is a link to an aftermarket place that has a very good price on new stators and I think that they have r/r also.
https://regulatorrectifier.com/catalog/index.php

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just checkin out that link tprender and if those are high quality stators that is an excellent price. gonna check all my connections and pick up a voltmeter when I have some extra cash but I have to get my van running first unless I'm lucky enough that it is the connections. looks like I'll be a rat in a CAGE for awhile. almost hit 8000 miles this summer too so the bike is probally ready for a good winter overhaul anyways, just really would have been nice to have a few more good weeks of riding seein how it has warmed back up to 75!

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
As for you electrical you have a lot of checking to do. Some of you problem could be in the carbs. Do a good drain job on the carbs, drain them with a white paper napkin or paper towel under them and see if you see alot of crud. Also you could do what someone had on the sight just the other day about flushing out the carbs with carb cleaner or Seafoam. Disconnect the fuel lines and squirt the above through the carbs and let it drain out into the paper towels to check for matter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts