Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my father ran across a 2003 vn750 for sale today.he was interested in it until i told him the infamous spline story.now hes scared to mess with it.the price is marked at 2500.very clean.im not sure on the mileage.does anyone have any suggestions as far as finding out the contition of the splines.would asking the seller to have the splines checked be too much to ask?any tell tale signs that splines are going out.all input and suggestions are welcome.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
you could try setting it on the center stand, put shifter into first gear and work the rear tire back and forth and feel, and listen for play at the spline joint.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Not sure at what point unlubed splines begin to show noticeable wear, but mine had 6,000+ and were still ok.

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
my father ran across a 2003 vn750 for sale today.he was interested in it until i told him the infamous spline story.now hes scared to mess with it.the price is marked at 2500.very clean.im not sure on the mileage.does anyone have any suggestions as far as finding out the contition of the splines.would asking the seller to have the splines checked be too much to ask?any tell tale signs that splines are going out.all input and suggestions are welcome.

Tell your dad not to be so paranoid. There are a host of problems ANY used bike can have, and if buying a used Vulcan I would be more concerned with the charging system working than the splines. You did not say how many miles the bike has on it, nor it seems did anyone ask the seller if he has himself done a spline lube, or had one done.

ALL shaft drive bikes have the same issue with needing the splines lubed properly, and it really is not that hard to pull off the wheel and look at them if one is truely intrested in the bike....which I would do for ANY shaft drive bike before buying no matter what the seller said... ;)

KM

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Absolutely agree with KM! Nothing to fear, just look it over good and by all means, make them pull the rear wheel so you can see the spline condition if at all possible. If it's not a honda dealer, take a tube of moly 60 with you if that is possible and get it lubed while it is apart! Even if you have to pay for labor for them to pull it off, it is worth knowing. I'd offer the labor $$ with the understanding that if the splines are shot, they eat it...

Even if they are shot, I'd probably still buy it knowing that parts bikes pop up and used final drives, especially from older bikes are good replacements. My 02 ended up with an 86 final drive on it, in perfect shape, and still going strong, as my son now owns it...

·
Registered
293 Posts
I just added an 04 to the stable with about 17K on the clock. Pulled the rear wheel off a few days after I got it home, and out dumped some of the dreaded rusty colored powder. Everything was still in good shape though, so I cleaned it up threw some moly on it and all is well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts