Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay - I have a 99 VN750 that is completely original and in almost mint condition. (Everytime I say "completely original" I sound like a jerk considering its only 9 years old)
Part of me wants to keep it that way for the next 10 years, and part of me wants to start changing and customizing...

Whats your opinion?

I will heed advice....

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
My vote: Keep it stock. Maybe it will be worth more in 10 years that way. Let the new owner customize it as they want to.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Do you want to ride it or save it as some kind of an investment?

If you want to ride it, then do whatever customization you want to make it more comfortable, more personal, whatever.

If you want to save it as some kind of investment, well, you'd be better off just putting the money in a 401k fund. Or if you're really interested, I got this email from some Nigerian Prince who could make you a boatload of cash.

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
Its really all up to you. I think most of the people here customize they bikes to fit them and make the ride more comfortable. This is what makes it your bike or if you like it stock then keep it that way. Very few make the bike like any other rider, they are all different in some way. Have fun and ride long, and make it your way

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ride it almost everyday, so I am not looking to keep it in a ziplock bag for future generations, or make a killing on a return.

And I got the same email, but the guy wont call me back...

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Do what you really want to do. If you want to customize, go for it. If you want to keep it stock, do that. You could also do reversable customization if you're worroed about resale. In other words, mods that can be put back to stock without much problem.
Me, I keep my vehicles until they aren't much good for anything but the scrap heap so resale doesn't mean squat to me. But that's just me.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I ride it almost everyday, so I am not looking to keep it in a ziplock bag for future generations, or make a killing on a return.

And I got the same email, but the guy wont call me back...
That's cause I already took him up on his offer. All I had to do was send him my social security number and bank routing information (like I'll ever need that) and he's going to wire the money into my account this weekend! Party on! I'm buying everybody a round! :beerchug:

·
Registered
802 Posts
This is my bike, there are many like it but this one is mine.

;)

·
Kawika
441 Posts
I must ride my cycle true. I must ride better than any cager who is trying to kill me.

·
2,527 Posts
I guess it all depends on what customizing means to you; like lowering it or making a bobber out of it. I plan on doing the degoat and would like to pick up a new seat if I ever can get my hands on one. I just got the saddle bag mounting kit which I plan on installing this weekend. Also looking few other small things to do, like the chrome master cyl. cover and a new oil fill cap. Nothing major.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Without me, my bike is nothing.

Without my bike, I am nothing.
That's "heavy" dude! :rockon:

I feel like a bike, really any bike, is a work in progress. There will always be things you want the bike to be that it's not. Every butt sits different on every bike, everyone's legs are longer or shorter, back needs support or not.
I've been modding this bike since I got it. I loved it for it's size and feel, nice power and handling. I hated it for the seat over a long ride, and the foot pegs/leg position. I was always disappointed in it's sound, for a twin. I found myself always trying to find a comfortable position for my feet, and butt. I built my floorboards and that made so much a difference I can't even tell you, even on my butt. I added a mustang seat that really helped too. I added a windshield that really makes a difference for long distance rides and bad weather. Added new grips that are really comfortable. I just recently put on a Protac backrest which is really nice and makes the bike that much more comfortable. It always bothered me that my bike was a v-twin but really didn't sound like the traditional sound. I drilled my baffels, then tried replacing my mufflers with Dynas and I liked it better, but still wasn't really happy with the sound, plus in all my screwing with the exhaust, I had leaks here and there. I ordered the V&H cruizers and put them on and now I have the traditional sound I wanted. I have a trunk I can put on when I go on trips, put on saddlebags for some storage room.

here's the bike when I bought it:

Here's the bike now:

I doubt that there is any "perfect" bike out there, one might feel more perfect than another, but there will always be something lacking. These metric bikes will not hold their value so much as the "American" bikes will, although if you consider what we're paying for them, I feel they're a far better value, but as an investment, probably not going to make you wealthy.

Me, I'd rather spend the money on this bike making it the best bike it can be for me. I don't plan to sell it, so I really can be crazy with the mods if I want. It's just my opinion, but I say go crazy with it and make it yours!

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
Custom Schmustom, get on and RIDE.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts