Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picked up a set of Kuryakyn highway pegs for my '04 vn750, (kury part #4575) with the 1-1/4" magnum clamps. I went to slap 'em on the bike today and discovered I couldn't fit the clamps over the frame tube due to a clearance issue with the radiator cover :BLAM:

So here's where I'm at: I'm trying to get these suckers on and I KNOW there's room on that bar, but I can't figure how to work those clamps into place. If I try to remove or loosen the front of the radiator am I going to get myself into a worse situation where I've somehow screwed up my radiator?

I haven't modified anything in the front end near where I'm working so consider everything stock. The only things anywhere close to this vicinity that I've installed is the oil filter and a set of throttle cables.

Otherwise, am I going to have to drop more $$$ to buy a highway bar that I can mount these to? That's a somewhat unattractive option though, considering how scarce they seem to be and that I have my doubts that I can find one in a 1-1/4" diameter. The wingerlines seem to be available but they're 1-1/8", so it would become a question of fitting a 1-1/4" clamp to a 1-1/8" bar. Ugh.

Update- found out Kury makes a 1-1/8" clamp I should be able to swap out for the ones my pegs came with, so that could make the wingerlines work. However, I'm in the middle of a really expensive cross-country move and pretty averse to spending that much dough. I would still prefer to make my current setup work if anyone has any words of wisdom on that front. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
468 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crappy cell phone pics taken at night, but they give you a decent idea of the area I'm looking at. I'm confident the brackets will fit on the bar just above the pair of mounting bolts in front of the foot controls. Its mostly a question of getting the bracket around the bar with the radiator in the way (and the exhaust on the right side obviously as well as the clutch cable on the left, but that shouldn't be a problem).

Attachments

·
Registered
468 Posts
if you could find an engine guard it would be a lot better. if you are very tall that won't help a whole lot. your knees will be above the gas tank. you could try to loosen the radiator bolts just enough to fit your mounts around the frame. i had to extend mine out 6.5 inches and that was with the engine guard.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
How much room do you need? Would you be able to shim the radiator out away from the frame or make some small extension mounts for it to give you enough clearance?

·
Registered
468 Posts
here is how i extended mine. if you could make an extension and bolt them to the existing mounts that may help. Wolfie is really good about fabricating ideas. there is a lot of others who will probably give some ideas.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good thoughts, but fabrication isn't an option for me as I lack the tools and workspace necessary. What you can't see in the pictures is that the pegs are mounted on a 2" offset mount, giving a little extra leg room but admittedly not a ton.

As far as shimming the radiator out, I would estimate that I need only 1/4" or so of additional clearance to squeeze the back piece of the clamp behind the bar, maybe less. Once its back there all I have to do is rotate the clamp into position and bolt it down.

Still haven't eliminated the idea of getting a highway bar, but I'm still concerned about availability, especially since I'm hitting the road in less than 2 weeks and I can't wait around for one to come around.

·
Registered
468 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm pretty sure that once the clamps are in place that there will be enough clearance between the frame tube and the radiator to accommodate the pegs and clamps (at worst, the peg mount might be slightly crooked or I may have to cut a small notch in the side of the radiator cover to make some room), my main concern was mostly just whether the process of unbolting the front of the radiator to create the clearance I need to mount the pegs would create other, more serious problems. Although I know the principals of how it all works, I've never fooled around with a radiator before so I wanted to run this one by the more experienced among you all on the forum here. However, it doesn't seem like anyone is concerned that it could be a problem aside from the obvious of not cutting or pinching any wires or hoses, so I think I'm going to try pulling the radiator temporarily to get these suckers on.

·
Registered
468 Posts
show pics once you get them mounted. another idea would be forward controls Wolfie makes a really nice set. don't know how long it takes.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Alright I've got the suckers mounted, and it went more or less as I expected it would. The radiator is just slightly too wide to mount them dead-on straight, but the mounting angle isn't so bad that it makes them useless, just a little goofy looking is all. They feel fine and look fine from my angle, that's all that really matters to me. I'll keep an eye out for a better solution down the line though, and of course I'm still open to suggestions.

At this point its all set, clearances are good and everything. I wish I had slightly more leg room for the pegs, but I've got another idea for that. For now they will do the job I need them to do. They fold up nicely directly under the air intake on either side though.

However, as I suspected the plastic radiator cover won't go back on with the bracket bolt in the way. So here's where I'm at: I can cut little notches in either side of the cover to make it fit, or I could just loose the cover. I'm no expert, but I suspect its really just there for looks and I've already got a goofy lookin' bike anyways.

Is it worth trying to alter and mount the cover or should I just pitch the thing?

Attachments

·
Registered
468 Posts
really it doesn't look to bad. i would cut out notches and put the cover on to keep rocks and other debris out of your radiator. but that actually looks pretty good.

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
I've got the same pegs mounted on the engine guard. It moves the pegs about 3" further forward and gives more clearance for the shifter and brake.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like the Sportster peg mount. I was able to cut out notches in the radiator cover to remount that without a problem. 100% road ready now!

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
...sorry i aint been around much lately, ahem....lol....wouldda chimed in earlier....I have a pattented set of brackets I can sell ya very resonably...JUST the brackets....and would give ya a parts list for the rest....mine also act as a crashguard....I lay Bessie down once per month at least, lol....(my legs/hips are goin bad)....that and NJT commuter busses like to tap me, lol....
Id sell ya a set cheap (my cost) plus shipping....be around $80...would place the peg center 3/4" fwd of the radiator and 3" up....same as what I use for my FWDs......raw or finished.....aircraft aluminum....
all you need is a pipe spacer for in front of the radiator, spacers to get the width ya want....threadded rod...and nuts to lock all in ($20 tops at a hardware store)...

OR.......send me yer pags, and I'll make ya a nice setup fer $120.....solid and will last the life of the bike guaranteed...or I will fix/replace....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts