Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
FYI....this is a duplicate post...you might want to delete one of them so it's easier to track any advice given.

I have no advice to offer on the tire...sorry!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
i need to get a new back tire for my vn 750. Icame accross this tire 5 miles from my house i know it isn't the stock size but was wondering the pros and cons of this tire 160/80/15 for 40$ http://barrie.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...essories-160-80-15-m-c-74s-W0QQAdIdZ320694608
thanks
First thing to do is check the age of the tire.
This link will show you how to find the date code on the sidewall:
http://blog.unsafemotorcycles.com/2010/09/motorcycle-tires-age-matters.html

Maxxis is a quality brand to the best of my knowledge.
The ad doesn`t say it is a new/unused tire, just that he has a tire for sale.
Might want to confirm if it is new or not.

Many members have fit various brands of tires sized 170/80-15 on the vn750, so yes, the 160/80-15 tire should fit with no problem. :smiley_th

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I like a softer compound for front than rear, and a good water shedding pattern...rears a lil harder compound, but the water shedding tread still important....
Softer will give better traction, but will wear faster....just an added note...

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Just remebered this story.

One rider`s experience with a Maxxis tire, for what it`s worth:
http://lifeisaroad.com/stories/2005/11/16/maxxisTireProblem.html

Note that at 5000 miles he was getting good wear and service from the tire.
Shortly thereafter he notices cracking in the tread pattern, and the belt showing.
Not neccesarily a problem with all tires of this brand, or even a particular size tire.
Just a heads up.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Replacing tires is not a fun job, so I go for mileage. A cheap tire may not turn out to be cheap in the end. I use ME880s, and get close to 20,000 miles out of them. The original Bridgestone Exedra is also a high mileage tire, and new ones can be found for around $100, I heard they are being discontinued, and places that have them are trying to clear them out. I rode an even 20,000 miles on two of those, they were definitely worn out, but they made it. 20,000 miles for $100 seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Tire age is not the only thing to consider. There are too many variables. I used the 40 year old oem spare on my 40 year old car for several months till I could afford to replace all the tires, and it worked fine. It is now back in the spare tire compartment.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Replacing tires is not a fun job, so I go for mileage. A cheap tire may not turn out to be cheap in the end. I use ME880s, and get close to 20,000 miles out of them. The original Bridgestone Exedra is also a high mileage tire, and new ones can be found for around $100, I heard they are being discontinued, and places that have them are trying to clear them out. I rode an even 20,000 miles on two of those, they were definitely worn out, but they made it. 20,000 miles for $100 seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Tire age is not the only thing to consider. There are too many variables. I used the 40 year old oem spare on my 40 year old car for several months till I could afford to replace all the tires, and it worked fine. It is now back in the spare tire compartment.
I have used old tires in less than great condition on my old beater pickup truck to drive 11 miles back and forth to work.
No freeways, and usually a place anywhere along the route to pull off and change a tire.

I would never consider using tires in that condition on a two wheeler!

It is likely that your 40 year old spare was left in the confined space in the trunk and not exposed to much fresh oxygen/ozone or sunlight during that time. That particular tire is probably less likely to have the dry rot that would normally expected in a tire that old. I wouldn`t be afraid to use it on a car in the manner you describe. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts