Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

need a new rear tire...

3K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  denny6006 
#1 ·
I ordered a manual but it hasn't come in yet and I don't know if the manual fairy is going to make it before I get home from work... Problem is I'm suppose to take the wheel down to the local Cycle Gear tomorrow to get a new tire... I found fergy's spline lube procedure (thanks Fergy!) which of course includes the wheel removal... So my question is: Do I need to do anything else to the wheel before taking to the shop or is it good to go once it is off the bike???

-Daniel

PS: figure I will do a spline lube and any brake maintenance while I'm there... :motorcycl

#2 ·
You should be good to go. If I'm not messing with the brakes I just put 2 or 3 pieces of duct tape over the brake hub so it doesn't come off the wheel.

#4 ·
I hope you are matching that new ME880 to one that is on the front. You should keep the same brand and tread design on each wheel. :smiley_th
Jim

#9 ·
Is it ok to have two different tires from different manufacturers as long as they are both new, both 4 ply and both belt bias technology. My concern is one is H rated and one is V rated, but those are just the speed ratings.

Sorry bout the thread jack.

Thanks

#10 ·
Totally disagree. There are just too many differences in design, construction, and intended usage to run mismatched tires. To each his own.
J

#11 ·
I spoke to my mechanic which is also a motorcycle tire dealership. Because i thought about just buying a new back tire. He said thread pattern and ply should be the same. Never use mismatch brand tires. I am just saying what he told me. He is also a very good friend of mine and wouldn't tell me something that isn't right. just saying...

#14 ·
All the dealerships here say the same thing. They will not willingly mismatch tires. A used bike with mismatched tires will not be sold unless matched tires are installed. Here is what Avon tires say, as do Dunlop and Metzler

It is essential that you refer to your machine manufacturer’s handbook when buying and fitting replacement tyres. Changes in tyre size, type and construction should not be made without first seeking advice from the machine or tyre manufacturer, since fitting the wrong tyre may have an adverse effect on handling, safety and wear.

#12 ·
Guess I should've clarified... I totally agree, for best performance you should run matching tires on any vehicle... Just didn't know if it was something I could get away with temporarily or if the bike would be completely unsafe to ride...

#13 ·
Hi: While the ideal is to run perfectly matched tires front and back, I am currently running with a metleler on the front and a bridgstone on the rear and have noticed no lack of handling.
I recently talked to a guy running a metzeler in front and avon in the rear. I asked him about it and he said he had ridden over 40 years and bought tires on the road when needed. He indicated no problems in his experience with running different brands at the same time.
I do not have vast experience with this issue, so what I have to say is not an expert opinion, just my 2 cents.
Bronson

#15 ·
Here is a Safety Warning from Dunlop

SAFETY WARNING!
The above are size-marking conversion charts and do not imply interchangeability.
Consult motorcycle manufacturer and Dunlop for correct replacements for originalequipment
tires. Critical clearances, motorcycle compatibility and stability,
load-bearing capacity, speed rating, radial versus non-radial, pattern and tread
compound requirements, inflation recommendations and front-to-rear tire matching
will all vary with tire selection. Wrong selection can result in tire failure or loss of control
with serious injury or death.
For further information, write Dunlop, Consumer Affairs Department, P.O. Box

#17 ·
My suggestion of matching tires also comes from 30 years of riding experience. I only buy matched tires that fit my style of riding and my weight and speed requirements. My life depends on those 2 tires and I want to give my life the best chance of survival. Anyone can put any tire they want on their bikes, it's their life. To say any tires of similar constuction and size are safe is not entirely true. They are safe if you baby your bike, don't overload it, don't get caught in the rain, don't take curves hard,and stay in town not on the freeways. Tires from all manufactures are sold in matched sets for two reasons, performance and safety.

#21 ·
you and I both are still here after 30+years of riding with polar opposite views and yet here we are,I live on curvy country roads weigh close to three hundred LBS. and the nearest town has a population of 600 and not to be picky but how are tires sold? As single units,they (tire companies would rather sell you one than none)would however prefer to sell you two.I just said it was my opinion and did not act like I was harder or easier on tires than anybody ,you on the other hand suggested that I was easier on my bike than most,I wear out at least two rear tires a summer and ride a 700 plus pound + motorcycle,that will bring smoke on the back tire when I get on it hard and will do the speed limit in the first two gears by the time it bumps the rev limiter.I have been accused of a lot of things but babying a bike is not one of them :)

Obviously from people with varied experience( me and you) it is not inherently Dangerous since neither of us has experienced catastrophic tire failure by matching brands or not. A reasonable conclusion can be made ,that it is not an imminent danger.I agree that it is preferable, but if the tires are the correct size,correct speed rating and from a reputable manufacturer that stands behind its product,just different brands on the front and rear ,does not automagically equal safe or unsafe,There are dangerous combinations of tires but it goes back to what I said earlier.Use good judgement.Do you also believe it when someone says"I'm from the Government and I am here to help You" ? Have yourself a nice one I don't agree with you but have nothing to gain or lose either way.I believe you are sincere in your belief,but people can be sincere and still not be completely right,it goes both ways.I am not here to change anybodies mind about anything,but to offer reasonable alternatives.

I've offered my opinion and stated my views and I am done now,talk to you later.I too, don't want to perpetuate another tire thread,sorry Joe LOL

#18 ·
:doh:OH NO!!!! not another tire thread.

#22 ·
It happens to the best of us

#23 ·
Denny, I would like to end this thread also. It's not a question of who's right or wrong. In my opinion we had a friendly discussion on tires. The most important thing is that we made riders here aware of the tires they have on their bikes and they can make their own decisions.
We both agree that one should put on the best tires they can afford.
I did not make any comments about YOUR riding style. The comments were about the general riding public. I want to make that clear.
Jm

#24 ·
I gotcha , I understood and i did say I would talk to you later,I am not so easily offended .We might have a lively discussion later and I like to joke with guys like you who aren't close minded as to see there can be more than one acceptable answer and give people the benefits of your years on two wheels,You know your stuff and are polite even if I did have to mess with you a little though :smiley_th hijack over !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.