Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new jacket and want to try one of the mesh types to stay cooler in the summer months. There are so many options to pick from... what is good protection and comfort combined with high visibility? I wear about a 44 or 46. does anyone have something they really love? (to wear)

·
CWO3 Navy (Retired)
722 Posts
I wear a Harley Davidson Accelerator Switchback Leather jacket. It's 3 jackets in 1 and is awesome. First it has the great 3M reflective graphics that can be seen from a 1/4 mile away or more. The leather is top knotch and when the weather warms up you simply unzip the front and back pannels to ride in a great mesh jacket but still keep the leather over the back of your arms and shoulders for protection. It also has a removable waterproof mesh liner and you can add body armour for added protection. You just have to get over riding a Vulcan wearing a Harley jacket. (I no longer have that problem).

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Some day i will probably buy the knifemaker recommendation one but for now....
Joe Rocket ..i think its 8.0 ....bright yellow(lance color) or white. They have a red one as well. It has been keeping me cool (when moving) on 90 plus degree days on the freeway. I also have a cooling vest that you soak in water(haven't used it yet) but prob will on long trips.

·
Registered
70 Posts
First gear Kilimanjaro! It has saved my a$$ as I took a slide about 40 feet or so!!! not even a scrape on my body! It's waterproof and warm or has lots of vents for the summer!!!

·
Premium Member
4,766 Posts
White has the advantage of high visibility and is also cooler when not moving. Downside is that it's hard to keep clean. Other high visibility colors would be a good compromise. I got a mesh teknic brand from ebay for less than $100 a couple of years ago. Has CE armor in back, shoulders, and elbows.

·
Cruisin' through my 50's
115 Posts
I picked up a denim jacket with armor from leatherup.com early this year. I like it but I can already tell that it's going to be too warm for July and August. I've been looking at some of the mesh jackets and I've been surprised that a lot of them are in the darker colors. I'd like something in a light color (okay, maybe not high-vis yellow), with elbow and shoulder protection. And while I'm putting my wish list together also make it less than $75. I'm getting tired of paying high prices just cause it's "motorcycle" gear. Come on, it's mesh plastic, not some exotic, endangered animal skin... I know it's hard to put a price on safety and quality in gear but lifes a trade off and we all have our price points.

ps... check www.retailmenot.com for coupons before you buy anything online.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I recently bought myself a Phoenix 5.0 Jacket. It gets pretty hot here in Arkansas and this jacket is AWESOME! Its all mesh except where the armour resides so you can still feel the air against your body. Also has a removable waterproof liner but so far its been too hot to wear the inner liner so I can't comment on it. Another thing I like about this jacket is that it comes in 5XL and is great for a fat boy like me lol. The one I got was all black with reflectors because they didn't have this one in stock at the local store.

http://www.joerocket.com/catalog/index.cfm/236/103/Textile_Jackets/Phoenix_5.0_Jacket?CFID=6517606&CFTOKEN=94408259

·
Columbus, Ohio
523 Posts
I need a new jacket and want to try one of the mesh types to stay cooler in the summer months. There are so many options to pick from... what is good protection and comfort combined with high visibility? I wear about a 44 or 46. does anyone have something they really love? (to wear)
There are a lot of mesh jackets that do the job. Most of them do not offer realistic protection from the road.
Last week I bought a Joe Rocket with soft armor, then read a review of it.(wrong order) I can expect it to melt as I slide down the street. The armor is good for softening minor bumps, but I knew that going it. Theswe jackets, according to the review, are better than wearing nothing. I have not read other reviews, yet. I hope to find that that guy was wrong. Point is, read first, buy after.

Another thing that you might look out for, is to make sure you know where it was manufactured.
I first bought a CASTLE mesh jacket, which looked like a pretty good buy
($100 on sale). I got it home and read the lable and discovered that it was made in Vietnam. I thought I was more open minded than that, but apparently I am not. I exchanged it for the Joe Rocket ($150). Both have zip out liners that are rainproof. The Castle liner was made cheaply, Joe rocket was not.
The Joe Rocket is very cool when the wind is blowing, but is black and silver,and can get warm at stops. The front and back are silver, but still not that cool. I haven't tried out its reflective qualities, yet.

I don't know anything about the kevlar type, except that they are painfully expensive. Let us know what you get.

·
Bandito
160 Posts

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
I used to have a power trip mesh jacket (I forge tthe model,m but it's discontinued) which I crash tested. It had textile in the impact areas, and although the shell was shredded, there was no full penetration to the skin. I now own the Joe Rocket UFO mesh in silver and white. I like it so far, and am not terribly motivated to crash test this one...

·
Registered
235 Posts
I got the Motoboss Airspeed mesh jacket and pants from cycle gear on sale and used a discount coupon and got both for about $200. same as everybodys, its got a zip out rain liner, several vents reflective stripes and full armor. I have been very comfy on hot days just wearing short pants a tee shirt and the jacket and pants, with boots of course. Actually got cold a few times after the sun went down.

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
Newenough.com has the Scorpion mesh on sale for $60. My wife has a Scorpion textile jacket and the build quality is pretty good.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all who gave input. I'm going to look up all the recommendations and whatever else I see to make a choice. I'll remember to post what I buy!

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
New Jacket

Hi again:
Although it took long enough to pick something, I bought the Scorpion burnout jacket from Newenough.com. It only cost about $72.00 shipped. It seems well vented and has a liner for cooler days. Since weather here is so variable, I decided against mesh which would be too cool for much of the riding season and bought the textile jacket instead.
The jacket is well constructed and fits very well. It only took 3 days for it to arrive via ups. I'm really happy with it so far and appreciate everybody's input.
Most of the riders around here do not wear helmets and very minimal safety gear from what I have seen. I hope that more people with proper equipment on the road will make it seem normal to other riders and new riders to use helmets and protective clothing.

·
Registered
738 Posts
If you only want one jacket hanging in the closet/garage, then consider the Joe Rocket Alter Ego 2.0 (and pants). This is the Swiss Army knife of jackets, converting from a spring/fall jacket (I use it year round in Portland, OR with a base layer in winter) to a mesh summer jacket in about 2 minutes. The entire mid section and sleeve zip off to expose the mesh under layer. This is the same quality mesh used on Joe Rocket's Phoenix jackets. Has CE rated armor in shoulders and elbows, dual density spine pad (can be converted to CE rated) lots of adjustments, etc.

Note: The Joe Rocket Alter Ego 2.0 is not the best mesh jacket and not the best mid-weight jacket, but it is probably one the most versatile jackets. Also, sizing is true to fit (as are most of Joe Rocket's products).

Why I chose it: Oregon summer mornings can be down right cold with afternoon temps shooting into the 90's (even low 100's). With the jacket fully assembled I can head out early in the morning and gradually convert it to mesh as the temperatures increase (i.e., one sleeve, two sleeves, body only, etc.). Also, I have very limited closet space (live in an apartment), so a single jacket was a good choice for me.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Ok - I'm getting to the party a little late but wanted to give my 2 cents. I've gone from jeans and a t-shirt to ATGATT, and for the last year I've been upgrading my gear to cordura.

I've been using the Teknic Supervent jacket (older version) and I've been happy with it but started doubting its protection since it lists the materials as "polyester". I recently upgraded to the Olympia Airglide 3 jacket. I received it in large and sent it back for a medium so I haven't got a chance to wear it yet. But it looks like a great jacket with both a wind/waterproof liner and a thermal liner. You can use either or both liners - so it should be versatile.

It's a bit pricey though at $249.

Remember to ride like they're trying to kill you! Mark

1 - 20 of 22 Posts