Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a lot of the past threads, but not all 461 posts. Got a lot of new people so I thought I'd see if there are any fresh ideas or someone happens to know of a bolt-on.

I understand the internal shift rod is made of glass, just have to exercise some self control when shifting.

Nerve damage affecting my left foot makes lifting the shifter quite painful. If I'm ever going to ride again, I'm going to need this.

Considered a hand shift, but that's going to require a foot (mousetrap) clutch.

I suppose if there's no bolt on, I'll have to weld something up. So far I haven't even looked to see how it needs to be done. But I can buy an old lever and see about welding it to the stock lever.

Hand shift on the ATV is no problem with the automatic clutch, and hand levers start at $15. Heel-toe won't work. For now I'm using a rope, and it works, but won't win any races.

So, ideas and suggestions welcome. Also considering a bigger bike with a stock heel/toe. Goodwing, Harley, metric cruiser.

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I got a pair of calipers on my shifter splines, and it's 11.35mm diameter on the high points of the shaft. It was a tight reach, so that number may be slightly big as I'm not 100% sure I was perpendicular to the shaft when measuring. It was close though.

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got a pair of calipers on my shifter splines, and it's 11.35mm diameter on the high points of the shaft. It was a tight reach, so that number may be slightly big as I'm not 100% sure I was perpendicular to the shaft when measuring. It was close though.
Thanks! That helps a lot. Still thinking about chopping up the cheap one.

Need a pad just behind the footpeg, with enough leverage to shift. The stock toe pad is a long way from the shaft. Hoping it doesn't need a bellcrank to get leverage and I really don't want to move my foot very far to reach it.

Been out in the snow with the ATV, my left arm is toast from shifting. Shifter shaft is really buried in the frame on it, so no heel/toe. Electric shift kits are $500-800+.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I understand the internal shift rod is made of glass, just have to exercise some self control when shifting.
What on earth? Is that shift lever doing being made of glass?

I don't have any suggestions for you Spockster but I'll be curiously following this thread to see what you come up with.

I also chuckled to hear you mention using a rope to shift your ATV and then go to that eBay page for the $12 lever where, under the "Description" heading, it says "Item Type: Ropes & Cables" 😂

1 - 6 of 6 Posts