Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes.

OK so, I was on my way home tonight from playing a free NL hold'em tourny (which I lost by the way) and I'm only 3 miles from home when this jackass in a minivan in the right hand lane starts to move over into the middle lane on me. I know he had to see because I was wearing my bright orange safety vest and laying on the horn. He then proceeds to jerk the wheel and cut hard left all the way across three lanes to the left turn lane, cutting me off and causing me to get on the brakes hard. The back wheel started to lock up on me and kick around to my right so I kept the handlebars pointing straight and let off the brakes real quick and thankfully the bike corrected itself. Apparently this complete friggin moron felt that his needing to turn left at the next intersection, was more important than my safety and my life. Probable wasn't the smartest thing to do, but as I rode past him I gave him the one finger wave. Thankfully I had the sharp, quick reflexes to avoid collision and avoid laying her down. I'm also glad that I'm finally taking the MSC my DMV provides next weekend to learn more techniques for handling and avoiding such ignorant and careless behavior.

It ceases to amaze me how dumb, ignorant, careless and wreckless cages are toward us.:doh:

·
Premium Member
4,774 Posts
Glad you're OK. As you know, it could have been a lot worse. I think most cagers simply don't recognize the vulnerability of bikers. They're just oblivious. I try to position myself so it's hard for someone to cut me off by being well in front of, or behind cagers. That's not always possible, of course, but the nimbleness of the Vulcan helps.

Had a lady in a Hummer tailgateing me a few weeks back. I tried "waving" her back with my left hand, but she never backed off. May have been on her cell. She finally turned, and I went around the block to speak with her, telling myself I needed to project a positive, non-threatning attitude. I approached her and asked if she would do me a favor, the next time she was following a bike, allow more following distance. I explained that a bike can go down for a variety of reasons (blowout, sand, gravel, etc.) and if the following vehicle is too close I may survive the fall, but not being run over. She replied "Thanks, I will." Her response really surprised me.

·
Redneck on a rice burner
179 Posts
That's how cagers drive in the Atlanta Metro .Glad your OK !I'm a local rider and deal with this ALL the time.You know if you get hit or run over, there gona RUN ! I"ve seen this on Thorton Rd & 20 two weeks ago. I was able to give the tag # ,make &model of this THUGS car to the police.No one else wanted to get involved,The rider is still in Cobb Hospital.His familey was Very greatful for the info I gave and the fact that I stoped.I REALLY HATE ATLANTA DRIVERS ! & I'm from here.

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
This is exactly why when I'm on my bike, I ride a little faster than traffic - so I'm way out in front of the pack and have the entire road to use in case of random stupidity. Glad you're OK, cause that story could have ended way worse. As sad as it is to say, I had a guy do exactly the same thing to me the other day. Difference is I was in my big a$$ Ford F150 crew cab, which begs the question how could he not have seen me? Right wrong or indiffferent, but the next cage that does it to me while I'm in my truck is gonna experience the PIT maneuver.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yesterday I was on a two lane straight country road. There were two vehicles in oncomming lane. Vehicle #1 slowed and signaled for right turn. Vehicle #2 suddenly decided to pass and faced me head-on in my lane 50yards from me. I know he saw me and figured I'd get out of his way, and he was right. I gave him 90% of my lane and he was off to the races. My first emotion was disbelief. If I had been going faster or looking other than at him, I would be dead now. You don't survive head-on crashes with the 4 wheelers. I tried to think of description of the vehicle, and all I could come up with was "BIG'!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had the same situation only diffferent scenario I was in my Ram 1500 when (no offense AZ) but this kid on a crotch rocket came whipping by me and split me and the car on my right front quarter he missed my truck by no more than two feet I even lost sight of his rear lic plate. To make it worse he was riding with one hand the other was on his waist. I know he saw me since he tried to take off my right front blinker.
I had a nissan hit my left front of my Ram last weekend when we were letting him cut into traffic and as he was looking to the right and turning left turned into and hit my truck. Fortunately his insurance paid me $800 for repairs the bumper and other damage only cost me $160 so now I can get the MCCT for my 750

BTW DAWGFAN glad your OK

·
Registered
399 Posts
My community college here in lynchburg, va, has an amazing course that last three days and teaches everything you could imagine on motorcycle safty.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
That's how cagers drive in the Atlanta Metro .Glad your OK !I'm a local rider and deal with this ALL the time.You know if you get hit or run over, there gona RUN ! I"ve seen this on Thorton Rd & 20 two weeks ago. I was able to give the tag # ,make &model of this THUGS car to the police.No one else wanted to get involved,The rider is still in Cobb Hospital.His familey was Very greatful for the info I gave and the fact that I stoped.I REALLY HATE ATLANTA DRIVERS ! & I'm from here.
Thanks everyone

I hate them too. These idiots were a couple dumb (and probably drunk) rednecks in a minivan on Pleasant Hill Rd near Gwinnett Place Mall. I figured them for dumb Mexican since there are a lot of them around here until I saw the passenger when I passed them. He was giving me this ugly look like it was MY fault they almost wrecked me and that I was suppose to get out of their way because they needed to turn or something. That's why I gave them the one finger wave. But again, that probably wasn't the smartest thing to do.

The Asians here around the Duluth area are even worse because they already don't know how to drive, especially the women (sorry if I offend anyone) and then they expect you to yield to them when they need to pull out in their brand new Mercades Benz or Lexus, even if you have the right of way! And then they drive 10MPH under the speed limit in the fast lane, usually on their damn cell phones!

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Glad you came out of this OK!
Gotta always be ready for stupid people doing stupid things!!!!!

·
Registered
292 Posts
so, lesson for the day for noob riders like myself: Never underestimate the stupidity of strangers.......or anyone in a cage:doh:

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so, lesson for the day for noob riders like myself: Never underestimate the stupidity of strangers.......or anyone in a cage:doh:
lol, exactly. Ride like you're invisible. And take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's beginner rider course. Your DMV should offer it. I just took it about two weeks ago and will be taking the experienced rider course later this year.

The BRC here in GA cost $250 and the ERC cost $150, well worth the investment. :smiley_th

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I`m glad you are ok. We have to ride like everybody else is blind and deaf. The safety courses are good, but you/we need to be constantly reminded by reading throughout the year , not just for a few days when we take a course.

Here is one good source of safety tips: http://www.msgroup.org/

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
True, but we all also need to constantly be practicing maneuvers such as quick stops, swerving, weaving, cornering, etc.....no matter how many years you've been riding.

·
Registered
659 Posts
lol, exactly. Ride like you're invisible. And take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's beginner rider course. Your DMV should offer it. I just took it about two weeks ago and will be taking the experienced rider course later this year.
You are going to love taking the ERC. The BRC was invaluable, but then for the ERC you get to use your own bike. They don't really do anthing differently from the BRC, except there is none of the beginner stuff. You get right to the riding. The rider coaches were fantastic as they always are. Our ERC course is interesting in that the judges here send riders who got DWIs on their bikes to it as part of their penalty. They don't tell you, but it was pretty clear who was there because they wanted to be there, and who was "compelled". The impressive thing about the coaches is that within just a little while they had the "hardcores" in the group as engadged as the rest of us. It was kind of fun watching people on their big-a** Wide-Glide-Dyna-whatevers, etc scraping parts trying to make those tight turns. We even had a guy on a CanAM Spyder. He couldn't make the turns inside the box to save his life! The 750 is made for that stuff! Now that I'm riding the VN1500 I plan to take it again next Spring.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I took the BRC up in MN and it is one of the best things that I could have done. I had been riding for a few years by then and you just never know how many things you might be doing wrong/incorrect until you take the coarse. I took it for a second time at the beginning of this year and I was surprised at how much I had forgotten do to not practicing them every now and then.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts