Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found on another Forum for Restoring Older Bikes....
I guess they also use it on the Engine cases and side covers to clean them.
:beerchug:

Just thought I'd throw up a couple of pics of my carbs after boiling them in lemon juice. My pilot jets were partially clogged due to a winter of sitting without properly winterizing (I normally get a chance to start it every couple of weeks for a good garage warm up but this year proved to get the better of me...will be winterizing from now on!!!)

The process is really easy. I pulled the top covers off and removed the slides. Also removed the float bowl and all internals from there (pilot jets, main jet/main jet holder, floats seats and needles, air screws and pilot screws (plus springs). Boiled the carbs in lemon juice for about 15 minutes. After boiling rinse thoroughly and blow dry with compressed air (helps ensure all passages are clear as well). They'll get really chalky looking as they dry. I took some PB Blaster and rubbed them down with that and they took on a much more normal, albeit dull, look. I was assured by my buddy who's done about 2 dozen racks of carbs this way that they may look dull but will perform like new. That's all there is to it. No toxic chemicals blasting you in the eye because of partially clogged (or fully clogged) jet passages. No toothbrushing to remove crud build up, really no work to it at all.
Bike runs like a million bucks after the cleaning too.
Wish I would have taken before pics as they were pretty grimy on the outsides before the lemon bath.
Straight lemon juice or mixed with water?
We used straight lemon juice (that had been used once on another rack of carbs and recycled).
My buddy bought it from a cooking supply store, you can get large quantities cheaply that way instead of buying a whole bunch of bottles at the grocery store.
I don't see why it wouldn't work to dilute it a little bit though, might have to spend more time boiling that way but should work just as well.

Oh, I should also add...

DO NOT DO THIS ON YOUR WIFE/GIRLFRIEND'S STOVE IN THE KITCHEN!!!!
It has a rather unique smell that those of the prettier gender probably wouldnt' like all that much...
We used a two burner propane camp stove in my buddy's shop to boil mine.
Also, keep a close eye on them while they're boiling. Mine made an awful lot of foam and started to boil over pretty quickly.

did mine today. you're right about the smell - poo!

i used fresh squeezed juice. that was a job and a half. but it worked great! couldn't find any bulk juice at the supermarket.

make sure you take out all the internals or they'll get full of crud

Hmmm.....I wonder what vinegar (typically 5% acetic acid) would work like instead of lemon juice ?? Or maybe pickling vinegar (typically 8% acetic acid) for a little stronger action ??
I've use pickling vinegar at room temp and immersed the bits for a day or two to get rid of the zinc oxides on carb parts to make them look shinier.

wondered the same thing but stuck with lemon as it has been tried and tested here, didn't want to risk destroying my carbs.

i also wonder what concentration of citric acid is in fresh lemon juice? but it sure beats carb cleaner and cheaper.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Thanks for the info as I have a garage full of old carbs ready to be cleaned. I have a gallon dip can of carb cleaner that works awesome. Makes the carbs look like mostly new but it is a harsh chem.

DT

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
paint is ok, but not my cup o tea...elbo grease and polishing compunds
But how do you get into those tiny little places to polish them? My fingers don't fit!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
But how do you get into those tiny little places to polish them? My fingers don't fit!
How about using a dremel tool or a toothbrush??? I don`t know, just thinking out loud.:smiley_th

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They said the the engine was painted after it was Baking Soda Blasted (Like Bead Blasting) , washed, & Blowed dry.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts