Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently removed a National cycles Plexistar II fairing. I installed a National cycles Street Shield that was chopped. (Can as part of the parts package when I bought Priscilla from DMAG. At first I was skeptical about the value of such a small shield. With the initial installation the angle was quite swept back. It had little affect at first. I made some adjustments when I made my first stop, moving the top out, and up a little. This had the desired affect. It does a good job deflecting about 80% of the bugs and wind right on up to about 80 MPG. I also am getting about 5 MPG more but this may also be caused by the new METZ 880s.

One downside to switching from the bigger fairing to the smaller shield is crosswinds have quite a bit more affect with the smaller shield. Also just a bit more wind noise at the helmet.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have an Enterprise sheild by slipstreamer, I think it's similar to the plexifairing. I was thinking about getting a smaller shield for summer riding and then re-installing the monster for the winter.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I could have gone with a large or small shield and went with the small. My bike is a vn500 so I thought a small would not look silly.

Well it doesn't look silly but it is next to worthless. For those that want a windshield, get the larger windshield. The point being blocking as much wind not as little as possible. My arms/neck/head are always getting pushed back at speed. It gets tiring after a short while. My experiences only.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, with the National Cycles I don't find it difficult to remove or mount the shields. In fact today I went back to the larger more fairing like since the weather has taken a cooler trend. I'm looking at chopping a few inches off the top of it though. It has a lot of distortion in the top inch or so, and I would like to be able to look over it without having to stretch. I've looked over a few on line how-tos on this. I am still hesitant about doing so. As for the smaller it's not as effective as the larger but it does offer about 80% reduction in wind and bugs.

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Plexifairing 3

I picked up my Plexifairing 3 today ~ had 1.5" chopped off the top by Cinn City Choppers. They did a superb job!!! It cost me $41... worth every penny.

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
One of the reasons I can ride throughout the Winter months is the Plexifairing II with its full length coverage. Snug as a bug in a rug behind it.
One thing I wish the Plexifairing II had is a port hole to open to let the wind thorugh on warm days. It gets so hot behind the windshield I'm
tempted to take my helmet off.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Note on cutting a shield down. Spoke with my friends at the local shop the other day. They actually recommend using a router!! They say it's less likely to cause the plastic to split.

·
Lebanon, NJ
437 Posts
Yes...

Note on cutting a shield down. Spoke with my friends at the local shop the other day. They actually recommend using a router!! They say it's less likely to cause the plastic to split.
Indeed, very high rpms with a router.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts