Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Lebanon, NJ
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi again. Went for ride with new National Cycle Plexifairing 3 installed. Mixed bag. Nice to have no wind on body at speed, very annoying as top is in my line of sight. Seems that I'd rather look completely through it or, over it, preferably over it. It stayed on.

Took it to a local glass/plastic place and he was not keen on cutting 2" off like I wanted. Say's he can't guarantee, has done some in the past with mixed results. Damn! I need 2-3" removed so I can see over this thing.

Anyone know anybody in NJ or eastern Pa. that can cut this down?

Thanks...

Forgot to mention that it was quite warm in the head with my full face on. Seems that only the top vent on my helmet was catching air.

Thanks Ccspinne for the tip but I'm not willing to try that.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
I used my dremel and did it myself.
Take a prctice cut at 1 intch, then go for the real thing.
I used fine sandpaper to finish the job.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Forgot, Tape the sheld and trace a line that you want to follow, I left mine on the bike.
Didn't move or risk scratching it that way, I just covered the tank with a towel and held the front tire with my legs.

·
239 Posts
Same here,cut the lowers with a dremel to make room for my crash bar ,worked great, takes some time. then clean it up with sandpaper.

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
I had the same problem with my Plexifairing 3. I called a bunch of glass-cutting businesses, and no one wanted to touch it. I eventually called Cinn City Choppers. Obviously they don't do a lot of work on Kawasakis! But I met a cool guy there who cut my windshield down 1.5" for just under $40 ~ he did a superb job.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I MAY actualy have a little insight here. I used to work in a hardware store. We'd cut (flat) glass and plexiglass for customers. We had them make certian that the first measurement they gave was what they absolutely wanted. Because the way those cutters work they roll a cutting blade along a line. Then you snap the remaining portion of the cut with a tool that has wheels on it and applies pressure to the 2 sides that need to be seperated.

If the customer came back wanting just a little more trimmed off, we couldnt garuntee it would work. Often when you try to "snap" off that small portion with the pressure from the wheel if there was only an inch or so often it'd crack and split the remaining larger peice that you want to KEEP. In this case, that peice at risk would be your windshield.

Imagine breaking a stick in half over and over. At first it's really easy. But when you get down to a short peice it becomes very stiff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts