Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that a lot of people here name their bikes, and it is completely new to me. It was a bit ironic, I was listening to NPR's Car Talk podcast from Saturday, and they were discussing this very topic.

I've never named a vehicle before, but it somehow seems natural to want to name the Vulcan. So for those of you who have named them, how did you come up with a name? I find the entire concept fascinating. I'm a Unix/Linux system admin by trade, and it kind of reminds me of the naming conventions that we Unix guys use to name machines on our networks.

So what are everybody's thoughts on bike naming?

--Storm

·
Registered
139 Posts
Mine was easy to be honest. I bought my bike for next to nothing as it had been sitting for 2 years and the owner couldn't get it running. Due to the lenghty amount of time it sat, I had to replace numerous parts and since I was taking these parts from canibalized bikes on ebay and other places, I decided to name my frankenstein. Its alive!!!

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
It took me over 5 years to come up with the name for my bike.
I wanted one that would truly fit me and the bike. After many, many fun filled, enjoyable, adventurous miles,
I finally had what I considered the perfect name...
"The Adventure Cycle"

Maybe not a typical type of name for a bike, but it is was it is!!
Now, if I could just get more time to ride it like I used to!!!!
I don't wanna work, I just wanna ride on my bike all day!!

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
I've never named any other vehicle. However it did feel natural to want to name her. "Scarlet", many stupid puns came to mind when the name stuck in my head. Like "Scarlet my dear, frankly I don't give a damb" or "Scarlet" for Ohio State (I'm not a big sports fan). Honestly, it came from G.I.Joe, Scarlet was a character. She was a tough cookie that could hang with the big boys! I just thought this bike looked like a fighter with style!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have named almost every vehicle I've had since my second vehicle. It was a '72 Ford Galaxie that I bought from a friend, he had named her Bertha and it fit so I kept the name.

My vulcan practically named itself, which is how I think it's supposed to happen. I moved up from a 200cc dual sport, and the first time I got the vulcan out on the open road, I looked down and I was going 70. Top speed on the dual sport was ~60, so you can imagine my surprise. I really had to work to keep it around the speed limit, it just seemed to want to go faster and faster. It seemed rowdy, so that's what I call it (Rowdy).

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Hey, maybe I should name mine 5 speed, as I keep trying to find the 6th gear...LOL...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Mine's tempermental, hence the name Ursula.

·
Geek
872 Posts
I just call mine "The Bike"

Cardinal Fang , my wife just came back from Florida. She brought me a "Mount Dora" hat. Said she ate at some restaurant there that was killer....

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hey, maybe I should name mine 5 speed, as I keep trying to find the 6th gear...LOL...

Glad I'm not the only one that does this. :doh:

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I'm always doing the same thing!

Glad I'm not the only one that does this. :doh:
WHAT?! no sixth gear?! man, i's gots tos goes backs tos schools ands learns tos counts agains!
I do the same thing, probably about a dozen or more times on rides over 60 miles. :doh:

I just call mine "The Bike"
That's what I had always called mine. Either "The Bike"... "My Bike"... "ƒ#€‡in' Bike"... LOL

·
Registered
126 Posts
Jajajaja, you guys are really something.
Its curious that most of our bikes seem to have female names, maybe its just the temper of these vulcans, who knows?
Well here in Panama we speak spanish, so my ride has its latin name.....
LA PERRA LOCA. Means CRAZY B...TCH!!!

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Jajajaja, you guys are really something.
Its curious that most of our bikes seem to have female names, maybe its just the temper of these vulcans, who knows?
Well here in Panama we speak spanish, so my ride has its latin name.....
LA PERRA LOCA. Means CRAZY B...TCH!!!
Well if it had wheels or boobs it will give you trouble (Ducking)

Old saying

1 - 20 of 72 Posts