Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I'm Dave, and I'm from the great suburbs of the Washington DC metro area. I've got a question for you 750 folks out there.

I've got a friend who wants to sell me his neglected 1990 Vulcan 750. From what his mechanic has told him, it needs rebuilds for the carbs, the manifold boot sucks in dirt and moisture, the forks are leaking, the master cyclinder needs replacement and there's a brake fluid leak somewhere on the bike. I say somewhere, because he didn't tell me exactly where, so I assume new brake lines and fittings. Aside from that, it shows the wear from not being parked in a garage and has some surface rust on a few areas. Apparently, the owner before him resprayed the bike black, and you can tell its a less than stellar job.

He wants $1000 for it, and I just wanted to know if this seems like a good deal given the work that needs to be done, or if I should just let him try and offload it for parts or something.

Here's a pic of it. (dial up users beware, its a huge pic) <Pic removed>

Thanks for looking,

Dave

·
Registered
227 Posts
Prices on a bike that old are at the discretion of the buyer. I bought my 1986 for $600 and have put another $1500 into it for parts. I'm a semi retired mechanic and have been doing most of the wrenching myself. E-Bay has been a great source for used parts and RonAyers.com is a very valuable reference tool as well as a fast parts supply. When I get all of the neglect worked out of my bike I feel it will have been worth it for me. If you have the skills for a project bike, go for it, if not, paying a mechanic might make it more expensive than a new bike.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
It looks customized some which usually detracts from the value (different rear fender, no grab rails, seat that will only work on it,....) unless you find the right buyer. It is also looks like the tac is missing.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Also looks like the rear end was lowered with the shorter shock, and bullet turnsignals replaced the standard ones. I also noticed the seat and no grabrails or sissy bar.
Bluebook retail price is $2255 This Suggested Retail Value assumes that the unit has been fully reconditioned and is in excellent condition.
Trade-In Value (Good Condition) $1510
Trade-in values are based on clean units in good condition, with all original standard equipment.
I'd say from the trade-in value, subtract the cost or repairs ($200-300 for the carb rebuild, new brake lines, master cylinder, possibly calipers), then there are the custom mods that people just usually don't pay for unless they make the bike something outstanding, in their eyes. As it stands, he could ask $1000, but he will probably end up getting about $600-750

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. That sheds a lot of light on it for me. I was looking for a cheap bike to toot around on until I get the funds for the bike I really want. From everything you guys have said here, it looks like I'll have to let my friend find another buyer somewhere. It just doesn't look that appealing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dave:

I'm not an expert, or a mechanic. I paid $1500 for a 91 VN 750 with 24k miles last summer. I ran fairly good, but I had the carbs and tank pulled and cleaned, and adjusted. There was a lot of rust in the tanks and carbs. Add to that a new rear tire, and the bill was a little over $500. I think unless you can do most or some of that work yourself, or you have a mechanic who charges cheap money, my initial reaction is that the repairs will cost you upwards to $1,000 or more. It might be worth it if you can pick up the bike for $500-$600, then after you put $1,000 into it to get it running good, it will be worth close to what the street value is. You have no idea evenThat's just my very, very un-qualified opinion. I think the Vulcan 750 is a great bike, but unless you know if it even starts, and runs, I'd be a little leary of paying too much for this bike. I would be a great project bike if you're so inclined to that sort of work.
Good Luck

Steve
Chelmsford, MA

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Steve,

Yeah, I had thought I'd do most of the work myself, aside from the carbs. Carb work was never something I had a knack for. Especially two of them. It does run and starts, it just needs some TLC. I had thought that I could pick it up, fix it, ride it for a bit and then have a good bike for my wife to ride when I can afford the bike of my dreams. I've already told my friend to put it up on Craigslist, see what happens and if he gets no bites, call me up and we'll work something out.

And again, I do appreciate everyone's input. I figured I'd go to the source of people who are fans of this particular model. Glad I made that choice. =) (now where's that buttkissing simley face?)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts