Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My bike didn't start after winter, so I went to the shop and bought new Bosch Battery. I installed the new battery, but starter didn't turn. I tried to bypass starter solenoid, but nothing. Voltage in the new battery was 12,8V and after one try it was 11,5 V.
Then I found old junky car battery, then I hooked the car battery and took new battery off. Bike started immediately. Something draws current (amps) out of the motorcycle battery. Any suggestions? Im going to return the new battery back to the shop, but there is still something which draws all the current out. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
Sounds like the battery you bought wasn't fully charged....or it's just bad.

Is it an AGM battery? Wet cells aren't reccomended for this bike.

Why do you think there is something drawing the current out? If the bike sat all winter did you keep the battery charged?

("Currency" is money BTW)

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
new battery may have been defective..

also, did you charge the new battery before trying to start? most batteries dont come fully charged from manufacturer

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Possibility of the starter dragging, car battery has more cranking amps, so was able to start the bike. Bike battery also lost a lot of voltage from one try.

AGM type battery is highly recommended. For the price of a bike shop battery, you would probably pay less for an AGM type at the auto parts stores.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Alluz, sounds like only small issues...easily resolved......posts 2-4 .....all VERY GOOD probabilities.
Go AGM battery.....fully charged.

If old battery is AGM, have it Charged up & Load Tested prior to reinstalling.

Ensure Battery and Starter Connections are clean...don't forget the Battery/Engine Ground.

hth

:smiley_th

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all! Battery isn`t AGM, it is normal Dry charged battery aka wet cell and I used acid to make it work. I charged the battery 2hours. Im going tomorrow to shop and they will test the battery. Hope it was only bad battery. I also cleaned the starter, everything looked good . Cleaning didnt make any change. Those AGM type batteries cost 140$.. :(

·
Registered
468 Posts
they are around 80 at Walmart Autozone and Advance. i got mine from Autozone for 85 i think with core.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
468 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts

·
Registered
7,901 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im from Finland. Postage are enormous because of the big size, plus there is taxes if I order from USA. I can order tax free from Europe, but postage are still big (30$). I have to figure something out if that battery wont work out. :BLAM:

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
didnt know you were in Finland.. that will make a difference in pricing

but you should be able to find one.. I think the wet cell sells for 40-60 buck range here.. not much of a jump to get to AGM

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Thank you all! Battery isn`t AGM, it is normal Dry charged battery aka wet cell and I used acid to make it work. I charged the battery 2hours. Im going tomorrow to shop and they will test the battery. Hope it was only bad battery. I also cleaned the starter, everything looked good . Cleaning didnt make any change. Those AGM type batteries cost 140$.. :(
Shop around....
...a copy & Paste from 2012....

YUASA YTX14AHL-BS AGM Battery

Manufacturer . . Model . . CCA . . . Availablity . . . . Additional Notes

BatteriesPlus X2-15L 210 BatteriesPlus Deka ETX15L re-branded- - $95.00 Store-Nov-2012
Big Crank ETX15L . . 210 Online Retailers, eBay Deka ETX15L re-branded --- Ebay - $68.00 Nov-2012
Deka ETX15L . . . . . . 210 Online Retailers, eBay
Die Hard 44005 . . . . 210 Sears YUASA YTX14AHL-BS re-branded $80.00-Store Nov-2012
EverStart ES14AHBS . . . . 210 Walmart Terminals are swapped, so install backwards and remove bottom spacer. UPDATE: Dec 2012 = $89.99
Interstate CYTX14AHL-BS 210 Retailers YUASA YTX14AHL-BS re-branded

MagnaPower ETX15L 210 Advance Auto Parts Deka ETX15L re-branded -
Manga Power 12v Sealed AGM 220CCA ($81.99 – April 2013)

WestCo 12V14L-B 220 WestCo
YUASA YTX14AHL-BS 210 Online Retailers, eBay $78.00 online Dec-2012 ----$88.00 Dec-2012
Magma Power ETX15L 220 CCA Advance Auto Parts 220 CCA $77.00 - Online -Take 15% off -Enter code DEM11 at checkout. Online Only.
Scorpion YTX14AHL-BS Scorpion 12v 210 CCA AGM
BatterieStuff.com $66.00 + Sert 2013 BatteryStuff Part #: sYTX14AHL-BS Replaces: YTX14AHL-BS, YB14L-A2, YB14L-B2, 12N14-3A,CB14AL-A2

NOTE: Ebay / Online prices quoted above are from a single online 2012 search, additional search’s may produce different prices.

hth

:smiley_th

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Tervetuloa !

("Currency" is money BTW)
Our new member is a Finn...please dont assume all are Americans.... ;)

Bosch makes excellent electrical products for all automotives. Even if not an AGM, you should have been fine.

First....check all of your wiring for shorts....AND check your grounds...grounds are critical on this bike.

Second, check the charge rate to the battery...should be +/- 14.3V....

If youre getting a good charge rate, with such a new battery, then, I suspect a dead short somewhere. You can test for this by disconnecting the positive lead. When you reconnect, if there is a decent spark, means you have a short.

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
Tervetuloa !

Our new member is a Finn...please dont assume all are Americans.... ;)
Actually I was assuming he wasn't an American and I was trying to help him correct his English.

I'm still not sure why he thinks the battery is getting drained. A brand new wet cell should start the bike....if its properly charged.

If the bike was sitting a long time it's sometimes hard to start even with a good battery. Some fresh fuel can't hurt. Not sure if they sell SeaFoam there.....

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
They sell something very comparable in Europe to Seafoam...forget the name....mebbe one of the UK boys can chime in...but, I ran my wet cell for 1 1/2 yrs...sure, the AGM is preferred, but shouldnt be a "necessary"....

Sorry Knife....I just thiought you were bein yer usual obnoxious self and correcting for the hell of it, lol.... ;)

Hay...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts