Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I got the V-Star, my beloved Vulcan has been sitting mostly ignored in my garage. I say mostly because I have to walk around it to get to my toolbox..... It's about the only time I notice her anymore. Poor girl.......
And now Ive been pulling bling off her to adorn my new girl.
I threw a leg up over her today and eased into that old familiar seat. Even thou she'd been sitting all this time, with the push of a button she sprang to life obediently. So I rolled her out to the street for a ride. Dropped into first, eased the lever out, and rolled on the gas..... but it's all wrong now. The boards are too far back.... it's cramped.... the bars feel awkward.... the controls are off.
Yes, the thrill is gone......... And so this chapter of my beloved Vulcan must come to an end. We had some good times together traveling the highways and byways of the land..... me and my faithful companion... but it's time to let her go now, 'cause there's no room for both of them in my life (or garage.) :doh:

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Better find a good home for her before she starts resenting you! :)

·
Super Moderator
11,863 Posts
Afraid I know exactly how you feel. When I got my FJR, I kept my Vulcan. But anytime I had the chance to ride, the new bike got the attention. After about a month, I felt guilty, and took the old girl out for a spin.

For some reason, it just did not feel right any more. I actualy said to someone it felt like going from riding a ten speed to trying to go back to riding a Big Wheel. It just didn't seem to fit right anymore.

I could not stand to see the bike neglected, so I placed an ad in the paper and she got sold in about a week.

I do love my FJR. And at times I do miss my Vulcan....but luckily I'm not done with the old twin yet. I picked up a fellow VN owners "old" bike when they bought a "newer" Vulcan model. I got it to make it into a solo seat custom, but money and time got put on hold.

Hopefully after my house gets built and my shop gets back in shape, I'll have the time to finish the project. In the meantime, I still have my FJR...and the two of us are still very happy. :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have an 04 Goldwing and my 750 Kawi. I got the Kawi to do exactly as KM is talking about. I'm almost there and for a daily driver, I love it. My goldwing is for the wife and I and the kawi is definitely mine and only mine. If I go a day without riding it, I miss it. Except of course when I'm on the goldwing...:)

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
Since I purchased my Nomad 1500FI in 2005, I've put 40 miles on my VN750. I'm prepping her for sale right now. I can't stand to see it sit in the garage and hope that there is someone out there that will give it the love and care I did for 10 good years.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Ever since I got the V-Star, my beloved Vulcan has been sitting mostly ignored in my garage. I say mostly because I have to walk around it to get to my toolbox..... It's about the only time I notice her anymore. Poor girl.......
And now Ive been pulling bling off her to adorn my new girl.
I threw a leg up over her today and eased into that old familiar seat. Even thou she'd been sitting all this time, with the push of a button she sprang to life obediently. So I rolled her out to the street for a ride. Dropped into first, eased the lever out, and rolled on the gas..... but it's all wrong now. The boards are too far back.... it's cramped.... the bars feel awkward.... the controls are off.
Yes, the thrill is gone......... And so this chapter of my beloved Vulcan must come to an end. We had some good times together traveling the highways and byways of the land..... me and my faithful companion... but it's time to let her go now, 'cause there's no room for both of them in my life (or garage.) :doh:
We ride together so I know how good and well maintained your Vulcan is but I understand your decision. Your new V-Star is one nice machine.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sell me your cruzers? Ya I know you want to sell it as a whole. Worth a try though.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true.
ahhh......... "amok time." Great episode.... always wanted to get my hands on one of those lirpa....

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sell me your cruzers? Ya I know you want to sell it as a whole. Worth a try though.
Problem is, I have soooo much invested in this bike with extras, mods, and accessories...... I'll never get anywhere near what I have into it.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...I do love my FJR....
Yeah, Yamaha makes a great bike.....Those FJR's are cool as hell.

And at times I do miss my Vulcan....but luckily I'm not done with the old twin yet. I picked up a fellow VN owners "old" bike when they bought a "newer" Vulcan model. I got it to make it into a solo seat custom, but money and time got put on hold.
Why didn't I think of that?? That's a great idea...... I could turn her into a bobber!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Problem is, I have soooo much invested in this bike with extras, mods, and accessories...... I'll never get anywhere near what I have into it.
I hear ya. By next riding season I'll have well over $1000 in parts invested into this bike that I paid $1500 for. I don't even want to think about the labor investment I'm putting into it. Only to take what I can get for it when the motorcycle gods align the stars just right and I can buy a new bike.
So since you're gonna take a bath on it anyway, might as well sell me the Cruzers;)

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
It's all a matter of what you're used to. If you sold the V-star you would get used to the 750 again if you rode it enough, but you would miss the things you love about the V-star. When I bought the classic my 750 sat in the garage for three months, maybe ridden three times. It was pretty danged hard to let her go. After owning and riding nearly every day for three years it was pretty close to me. But last year I went and did a spline lube on a member's 750 and got to take her bike for a spin around the neighborhood. Boy that felt really, really weird!

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hear ya. By next riding season I'll have well over $1000 in parts invested into this bike that I paid $1500 for. I don't even want to think about the labor investment I'm putting into it. Only to take what I can get for it when the motorcycle gods align the stars just right and I can buy a new bike.
So since you're gonna take a bath on it anyway, might as well sell me the Cruzers;)
well, if I get rid of them I'll let you know.......... :)

·
Super Moderator
11,863 Posts
Thats were I figured I broke even. Most of the accessories and mods were stuff I fabricated myself..The Dash, the driving lights, the driver and passenger floorboards, the highway pegs, the rear turnsignal relocation bar , and the passenger backresst. Doubt there was more than about 200 dollars in parts there, and of course the design and labor were in fact something I enjoyed doing, so can't count that as a loss.

I sold the Corbin for what I paid for it used ($225) , and got $3200 for a bike I bought new for $6000 5 years earlier. I figure I got more than $2800 worth of enjoyment out of it, so basicly I broke even in my eyes.

Everything depreciates, and the fun of having a bike, working on her and adding extras that make it special to you far outweigh the costs....and really can't be looked at as a loss....if it made you happy.

KM

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I'm going to have to part some things out: The Saddlemen, windscreen, front fender, trunk, tach, pyle amp, indicators?, V&H?, bars? etc.... Sounds like fun!

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts
I'd love to get a bigger bike for long trips (for more butt room rather than for a bigger engine) but I'd still want to use my vn750 for daily trips around town, or to/from work.

*shrug*

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I wish I could have kept both but that was part of the deal with my wife on putting the money back in the bank, or at least part of it. Besides, one of the bikes would have been neglected and the newer one usually wins that contest.

·
Registered
47 Posts
you meantions i think that you might part out some fo your extrias such as you exaust what do you think you would ask for them if you sold tem

1 - 18 of 18 Posts