Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i just bought a 1996 vulcan 750. i bought it from a friend. i went to her house and turned on the bike and road it home. when i turn it on later that day to ride it i got about 50 yards and it died. there are no lights on no electrical parts turn on. sometimes the neutral light does come on but when i hit the starter button it just kills the light and i cant get it to turn over. it does not even make a clicking noise or anything. any help is greatly appreciated thanks.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Befor I though money at a new battery (unless its a standard wet cell battery) I would check out the ignition switch. It sounds like the "hockey puck" might have dirty contacts. Here is a write up on the ignition switch rebuild. Also check the battery connections, and all the main grounds. most commonly over looked ground is the ground wire from the right side of the battery box to the engine.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Welcome to the Vulcan madness. :smiley_th

The first thing I would do is check and make sure the battery is reading at least 12.5 volts.
Lower voltage would give you some lights, but probably not operate the starter.
If battery voltage is lower than 12.5 either charge it with a low amperage charger of 1.5 to 2 amps, or boost it with a car battery.

If it is still a no go--follow slim`s suggestions. ^^^^^^

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
It sounds like the battery drained as you were riding, so the charging system may not be functional.

Check the battery to make sure it is indeed drained. If it is, charge it.

Run through SVRs flowchart here and you can determine where the problem lies.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
I disagree THtanner, sounds more like an ignition switch issue..

when i turn it on later that day to ride it i got about 50 yards and it died. there are no lights on no electrical parts turn on. sometimes the neutral light does come on but when i hit the starter button it just kills the light and i cant get it to turn over.
This is a typical ignition switch failure symptom... do OllHoss's suggestion first, then tear into the hockey puck...

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Start with the simple stuff, i.e. check grounds for looseness and corrosion, check battery terminals for same, check voltage on battery. Bad grounds and loose connections also cause your battery not to recharge... Then if all that checks out, move on to the more complicated stuff as mentioned above.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys for all of ur help i found out it was a loose ground wire on my battery. tightened it up and it fired right up. thanks again

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
thanks guys for all of ur help i found out it was a loose ground wire on my battery. tightened it up and it fired right up. thanks again
:rockon: :smiley_th

1 - 9 of 9 Posts