Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:(

I was on I-5 heading home from work. A biker on a V-Star eyeballed me, gave me that look of - your bike is small so therefore slow. I decided to shift down and surprise him but I missed the shift and pegged the tach at 11k! I was so worried about my baby but no smoke, no strange sounds, just really pissed me off.

I've noticed a difference - I recently switched to Rotella T from Lucas 20-50. This is the first time in ten years that I've missed a shift. I posted earlier that I feel the transmission is not as smooth as it has been, now I'm sure of it. I'm going back to full synth MC.

DT

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
I had that with Rotella, I switched to Amsoil and that was gone, My brotherinlaw is a dealer so I get a good price:)

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Mine has soared up into those altitudes a time or two ,it can't be good for them but mine has held together so far and embarrassed some bigger bikes as well.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Denny - your bike - love it - is says: "Go ahead, make my day"

Cc - I'll leave it in for the month of June, then change out the oil and go back to Lucas full synth.

DT

·
Cruisin' through my 50's
115 Posts
I'm not trying to make this an anti-Rotella T or 'my oil is better than your oil' thread but....

I changed the oil and filter on both my 750s at the start of the season. I put the Rotella T 15w-40 in both. The 2006 with 8,500 miles is running fine. The 2003 with 19,500 miles has developed the coffee grinder sound (we need to start a thread that just has .mp3 files of sounds) and jerky shifting, till it gets really warmed up. They both were running regular dino oil before this change. The 2003 does sit on it's side stand sometimes for a week or so without being riden but it did that before the Rotella T also.

I haven't decided what oil I'm going to use in the older bike but I'm going to try something different.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I've never had mine over 5,000 rpm. I dont really see a purpose. I around shift 3,500-4k.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
I've been using synthetic Rotella 5W-40. I ride even into 20 degree temps and I love the cold flow characteristics of this oil. It still has the range of viscosity to handle heat well.
Start ups in the cold mornings are no problem, and the clutch noise almost entirely dissappeared.
On dissassembly, the engine looked super clean inside.
On the downside, it costs twice as much, about $20.00 per gallon, and I do not favor a longer oil change interval. The lubrication is still great, but I suspect contaminants from combustion will cause wear if oil is not changed frequently.
The lower viscosity gets the oil distributed quicly on initial startup, an so, should reduce wear from that.
Thats my 2 cents! Bout what it's worth.
Bronson

·
Registered
399 Posts
Start ups in the cold mornings are no problem, and the clutch noise almost entirely dissappeared.
Can u explain this clutch noise? I wonder if its similar to what im hearing. When mine is cold, and i slip the clutch to start off, and the tranny is cold, i hear like.... idk how to describe it, but its only when its bone cold.

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
ha i have reved mine to the moon a few times ........... no ill affects although beating on the old girl got my fuel eco. down the tubes

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Many refer to it as "coffee grinder" sound.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Id the coffee grinder sound hurtful to the bike or just the ears?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
:(

I was on I-5 heading home from work. A biker on a V-Star eyeballed me, gave me that look of - your bike is small so therefore slow. I decided to shift down and surprise him but I missed the shift and pegged the tach at 11k! I was so worried about my baby but no smoke, no strange sounds, just really pissed me off.

I've noticed a difference - I recently switched to Rotella T from Lucas 20-50. This is the first time in ten years that I've missed a shift. I posted earlier that I feel the transmission is not as smooth as it has been, now I'm sure of it. I'm going back to full synth MC.

DT
Kindly pardon the confusion, I'm only asking for curiousity's sake. Do you throttle off -- clutch lever in first, foot shift, clutch lever out -- pull throttle in? I don't understand how you could pull that much throttle in without first shifting. If I missed the foot clutch, I wouldn't be able to pull throttle because a step was missed. Even if you shift quickly, shouldn't the procedure always pretty much be the same? Downshifting or upshifting? Even engine slowing. Again, not trying to bust balls, just asking...

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
You aren't familiar with the art of powershifting? Never lift on the throttle. I do it ocaasionally on my bike, frequently in my car :rockon:

Jon

Kindly pardon the confusion, I'm only asking for curiousity's sake. Do you throttle off -- clutch lever in first, foot shift, clutch lever out -- pull throttle in? I don't understand how you could pull that much throttle in without first shifting. If I missed the foot clutch, I wouldn't be able to pull throttle because a step was missed. Even if you shift quickly, shouldn't the procedure always pretty much be the same? Downshifting or upshifting? Even engine slowing. Again, not trying to bust balls, just asking...

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
^ Don't mean to thread jack.

"Never 'lift' on the trottle"? Not sure what you mean.

I assume "powershifting" is shifting without disengaging the clutch? How does that work? Roll throttle off, kick up (or down), then throttle back in? Do you even roll the throttle off? School a fool!

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
I've never had mine over 5,000 rpm. I dont really see a purpose. I around shift 3,500-4k.
To get there sooner?

This ain't a Harley...the motor likes to rev. The only reason to shift so soon is because your poor and can't afford gas? (As over the 5k mark is starts sucking fuel alot faster)

Anyway...never had a issue with Rottella...still use it in my FJR..

And you can miss a shift when in a hurry or not concentrating...and go WFO pretty easy. Not sure if I have made it to 11k on the Vulcan but it did scream a few times.

KM

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
^ Don't mean to thread jack.

"Never 'lift' on the trottle"? Not sure what you mean.

I assume "powershifting" is shifting without disengaging the clutch? How does that work? Roll throttle off, kick up (or down), then throttle back in? Do you even roll the throttle off? School a fool!
Keep the throttle wide open, all the time, shift as fast as you can using the clutch. You can preload the gear shifter by putting some pressure on it prior to shifting to quicken the process. I am sure you have heard someone powershift a car or bike in the past, just didn't know it. The idea is to keep the rev's up so you stay in the powerband for the next gear.

If I disable the traction control in my car when I powershift 1 - 2, the rear end can get sideways.

Jon

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Oh ok, so it's just regular uber-fast shifting but you never take the throttle off. I've shifted with serious speed in the past just never left the throttle open. I love speed-shifting, what a feeling. On-ramps with no traffic and she's throwing you backward...love it!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts