Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently swapped my seat for one from a vn900 was really happy with the extra comfort. My wife and stepdaughter missed the passenger backrest so after PMing Chuck A and asking several questions I found a passenger backrest from Drag Specialties and adapted it to fit. I already had the turn signal relocation brackets so I used the brackets to mark the holes to mount the turn signals to the bracket for the backrest.
I will add more photos when the weather cooperates.

Travis

·
Louder IS better!
289 Posts
I was lookin at the removable backrest on my mother in laws dyna and wondering if i could do something like this eventually. good to know it can be done and look good. great job!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Looks Good! Please do get some close-up pictures of not only the backrest mounting and signal mounting but also the seat mounting. Love to see all the ideas out there for this type project.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Does the 900 seat sit you a bit lower? And what make is the passenger backrest?

·
2,504 Posts
Really nice looking!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would like to know "how wide" is the seat for the driver?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Looks like there is a LOT more room for the passenger!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got a couple more pics last night
this one is the underside of the seat shows the bracket.

This piece will be put underneath the foam padding to sandwich the seat pan between it and the bracket and hopefully distribute the stress out so it doesnt crack the seat pan

This is the turn signal from the rear.

side view of the turn signal

side view with the final things i need to do to it. I think for now I will just bolt a bracket on to hold the saddlebag supports...in a few weeks I may have the welders at work weld a tab on to support the saddle bag supports

there is a lot more room for a passenger...I had both my wife and daughter set on it and see where the best place to mount the backrest. if there had been room I would have mounted it further forward and put a bolt in where the seat bracket mount is.

The backrest originally fit a harley fxr...not sure what years. it was about 3/4" narrower than the vulcan but I was able to persuade it to fit.

I hope this answers some of the questions and the pics help

Travis

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
cool!

·
Let's Ride!!
600 Posts
I thought that underside pic looked familiar... ;)

I need to cut down my sissy bars and mount a backrest soon. The wife has ridden on the back a couple times and said not having the support made her a bit nervous that she'd fall off the back.

·
Registered
98 Posts
What did you make the bracket out of (steel, aluminum, etc)? What size is it (thickness, width, etc)? I'm in the middle of doing a mod like this and I'm not sure what I should use for my brackets. Don't want to go too small, but too big makes it pretty hard to work with lol.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I recently swapped my seat for one from a vn900 was really happy with the extra comfort. My wife and stepdaughter missed the passenger backrest so after PMing Chuck A and asking several questions I found a passenger backrest from Drag Specialties and adapted it to fit. I already had the turn signal relocation brackets so I used the brackets to mark the holes to mount the turn signals to the bracket for the backrest.
I will add more photos when the weather cooperates.

Travis
Looks a lot better and I'd say a lot more comfy for all concerned,good job :smiley_th

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
Looks great. I just sold my set up that was very similar just without the studs. This is a great seat mod and so much better for two riders. Great work!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I made the bracket for the seat using a piece of galvanized 1/8" thick by 1" wide flat bar that I had laying in the corner of the shed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts