Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey there all, Just wanted to share how i went about altering my seat to fit my needs and style.

Materials/Tools Used:
*Hacksaw
*Needle-nosed Pliers
*10mm (should be a given)
*Staple gun
*Scissors
*Silver Sharpie
*Beer
*2 "L" Brackets I had lying around
*2 Screws I had lying around

1. I first removed the plastic storage compartment and the seatback frame.

2. Then I put my brackets into the holes left from where the seatback frame attached using the original bolts. (See pics below).

3. Next marked the holes where i was going to attatch the brackets to the seat with screws.

4. Use your needlenose to pull out the staples under the seat, peel back foam and cut (hacksaw) so the seat pan is flush with the metal bracket that holds the turn signals (i marked it off with a silver sharpie).

5. Use scissors to cut the foam to match the seatpan.

6. Trim excess leather but leave enough to tuck under and re-staple (make sure to pull tight. a second set of hands would help.

7. I then cut the plastic piece out of the former rear end and slotted it between the small grooves in the metal (see messed up pic below) to give it a finished look.

8. Then to hide the fact that I'm not an expert in upholstery I strapped on a rollbag that i originally had on the front to cover that and serve as my new place to store my documents.

Final shot (before moving the rollbag).

Hope this is helpful to at least someone. and please spare me, its my first writeup.

Cheers,
PaleRider

·
Registered
483 Posts
Nice Job.. Very Creative.. Sharp.

It's always nice to see people thinking outside the box.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i like the look with out the roll bag better.. but all together love the look.
I agree SVR. I will relocate it to the front once i get a chance to re vamp the back of the seat rid it of the wrinkles.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
to get rid of the wrinkles:

trim the vinyl about 1" from the edge of the seat pan. then cut some relief notches around the curved edges. stretch the vinyl tight tight and restaple. Take some pictures of the back of the seat and the underneath of the seat and I can photo-shop what I am talking about.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Very Nice Mod and an overall sharp looking ride.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
I was looking at your pics again. You might want to tighten up that front bag. It looks close enought to your front fender to hit when you run over a bump or hard stop. This will eventually start to mark your paint.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was looking at your pics again. You might want to tighten up that front bag. It looks close enought to your front fender to hit when you run over a bump or hard stop. This will eventually start to mark your paint.
It was on there like that when i purchased it. It has since been corrected, but thanks for the heads up. :smiley_th

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey there all, Just wanted to share how i went about altering my seat to fit my needs and style.

Materials/Tools Used:
*Hacksaw
*Needle-nosed Pliers
*Staple gun
*Scissors
*Silver Sharpie
*Beer

2. Then I put my brackets into the holes left from where the seatback frame attached using the original bolts. (See pics below).

3. Next marked the holes where i was going to attatch the brackets to the seat with screws.

4. Use your needlenose to pull out the staples under the seat, peel back foam and cut (hacksaw) so the seat pan is flush with the metal bracket that holds the turn signals (i marked it off with a silver sharpie).

6. Trim excess leather but leave enough to tuck under and re-staple (make sure to pull tight. a second set of hands would help.

7. I then cut the plastic piece out of the former rear end and slotted it between the small grooves in the metal (see messed up pic below) to give it a finished look.

8. Then to hide the fact that I'm not an expert in upholstery I strapped on a rollbag that i originally had on the front to cover that and serve as my new place to store my documents.

Hope this is helpful to at least someone. and please spare me, its my first writeup.

Cheers,
PaleRider
I did something similar to mine today. I really like the way it turned out. Instead of working with the old document compartment, I decided to put my eye protection case in between the grab rails. It fit perfectly and was exactly what I needed to hide the bolts holding the seat on. I used the bottom holes in the grab rails to bolt the seat on, instead of the top so that I could still use the sissy bar that came with my bike (with slight modification) so that I can continue to use it if I need to carry anything extra that I need to strap to it. See the pictures attached:

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts

Materials/Tools Used:
*Hacksaw
*Needle-nosed Pliers
*Staple gun
*Scissors
*Silver Sharpie
*Beer

Cheers,
PaleRider
I can not see the photos on my phone or my laptop is there any way you can e mail them too me by chance?

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
I agree SVR. I will relocate it to the front once i get a chance to re vamp the back of the seat rid it of the wrinkles.
???

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
SPAM :(

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
yup.there's a spambot. look at a lot of the new member names that are companies with a description of the company as their sig

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
yup.there's a spambot. look at a lot of the new member names that are companies with a description of the company as their sig

This one did seven postings including a Newbie intro. The intro is great but I think it got taken down already.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
price go up.$20.suckie suckie.ruv you rong time.you guys too fast.no make money off spam.**** you round eye

1 - 16 of 16 Posts