Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wow how much fun!!Pretty much had to loosen the battery box and some of those nice/neat connections to get to those Rectifier bolts.Got it out,put stuff back...decided to put the Rectifier out there by the rear tire.Used heavy/tight Zip ties (2) seems very stable but I will continue to check it.(Plug not in yet,gonna get some die-electric grease) Took my time so job was hour long,not too bad.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Wow how much fun!!Pretty much had to loosen the battery box and some of those nice/neat connections to get to those Rectifier bolts.Got it out,put stuff back...decided to put the Rectifier out there by the rear tire.Used heavy/tight Zip ties (2) seems very stable but I will continue to check it.(Plug not in yet,gonna get some die-electric grease) Took my time so job was hour long,not too bad.
I would at least fabricate some metal mounting brackets for it. Those wire ties may melt. It also looks a bit loose, like it might get caught in the rear wheel.

Someone here had a mounting bracket designed to mount the R/R solidly to the bike, without having to cut and splice any wires.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Someone else on this forum "bearded cowboy"??Used Zip ties to put it behinde that side cover.Dont think the Rectifier gets HOT,but not sure.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also found this...Quote (Instead of putting it out where the wires were so exposed above the left passenger footpeg where it showed and the wires could be hit with an erant shoe I instead decided to mount it on the back (inside) of the plastic side plate using (( Scotch double stick outdoor foam tape)) HomeDepot in the paint section). Scotch (double side) tape would definatly "melt" before my thick ties...and the ties are TIGHT.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yes and no "notch" to side cover because I came up from the foot-peg bolt.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AND....I do plan on "Water-proofing" that connector...soon as I get a chance!! (Tommarow??)

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here it is,Wolfie put this [Quote....I just took zip ties and strapped it to the 2 framerails just inside the left side cover...cheaper and easier than doing the mount IMO.....the idea is to get it away from the exhast system (as it overheats then burns out).....mines been fine there since I replaced it End Quote] No big deal now.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I did mine like the photo below. An aluminum bracket that slips under the passenger foot peg mount. I mounted the R/R to the plate with some bolts. I kept the original wires since they were long enough and put the connector facing down to allow water to drain out of the connector if it ever got wet. I used dielectric grease on the connector.
It has worked flawlessly and is solid after 2 years.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks kc2dgg,put die-electric grease on mine too... then slathered that "liquid" wire coating on connector.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
damn you guys got me thinking on another get rich quick idea im gonna mass produce these things when i get out to my new digs and im gonna make em for the mosfet to fit on too

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts
My zip ties have oulasted the rr&r so...u

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
but that mounting bracket is so purdy i could make em and sell em for like 15 to 25 bucks and i'd be rollin in the dough lol you would have to call me pillsbury

hell mine is just wedged behind the batt box right now

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts
I ain't poking ya in the belly and i ain't callin ya tickle me elmko either .lol

·
Registered
50 Posts
Someone else on this forum "bearded cowboy"??Used Zip ties to put it behinde that side cover.Dont think the Rectifier gets HOT,but not sure.
The rectifier does get hot. All that metal work with fins is a heat sink, which help to cool it. I'm not sure it gets hot enough to melt zip ties though.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts
The rectifier does get hot. All that metal work with fins is a heat sink, which help to cool it. I'm not sure it gets hot enough to melt zip ties though.
If it gets hot ebuff to melt a zip tie everything on the inside(wiring)would be goo and the plugs and wiring coming into it would be as well.

·
Santa Cruzer, Ca
2 Posts
Zip Ties working fine for mine.....

I have mine held in front of the fuze box under the left side cover with 2 zip ties running thru the rubber grommet holders for the side case..... Stays Cool, Easy Access, Wiring reaches, and very cheap......

1 - 18 of 18 Posts