Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First what does R/R Stand for? Next, what are my options - new r/r or new wireing harness or is it ok. Where can I get a new one and do you think I have to?

I been reading about ppl relocating the r/r so I decided to look into it today. Here is what I see after removing r/r. What to do? Also where to get a mount for relocation? Went for 5 minute ride and the r/r got pretty hot - is this normal?

Thanks

Sorry for huge pictures

________
Medical marijuana dispensaries

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
R/R is a regulator/rectifier - it takes the AC current generated by the stator and converts it to DC for storage in the battery (electricity can only be stored as direct current). Are you having difficulties keeping a charge on your battery? I would guess "yes" looking at the wires, but sometimes there's still a connection hiding in there. Might also want to check the output on the stator since the "stator bone's connected to the r/r bone..."

Check with folks here for where they're buying new R/Rs. I've gotten all mine off of eBay - used; but also have a brand new one here at the ready ($75 shipped). Lance328 has been making r/r brackets - touch base with him about hooking you up!

·
Registered
91 Posts
R/R stands for regulator/rectifier (rectifies the AC generated by the alternator into DC and regulates it to 14.2 v ). Yours is in need of some TLC. For sure you need to remove that connector and clean the connections as best as you can. The bad connections will only add to the heat generation and ultimately lead to failure of either the stator or the R/R or both.

Bad connections are common among many motorcycles. Take apart and clean connections and use some silicone grease to keep moisture out. If the connector are in very bad shape you'll have to replace them. The R/R may still be good but if the connectors are so badly corroded that may be reason to replace it.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
R/R= Regulator / Rectifier

You can replace the connector and as long as the R/R is working you will be fine. Mix up some baking soda and water to neutralize the acid and clean the R/R . For now clean the contacts and apply some dielectric grease to the connectors then plug them back in the proper place. I don't rember off hand who sell the connector but FlaRider bought one, send him a PM.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
awesome thanks for the advice - I will try an clean in a bit - although i dont think i can get them apart - i tried alittle. Anywhere I can mount it w/o buying anything? Can I just poor the mixture on the connecters in the r/r or do not soak?
________
VAPORIZER REVIEW

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Yes you can pour the mixture on te R/R, scrub with a brush and do the same on the bike. :beerchug:

·
Registered
950 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Heres a whole thread bout my issues with Regulators. Turned out my real problem is with the JB. So I ended up hooking the RR strait to the battery so it would charge. Wish I could find where I bought the RR from. I'll keep looking. Check that stator before you spend money on other stuff. Like food and rent. Cuz you might have to forgo one of those things if you pay a mech to fix the stator. ;>
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10853&page=1

·
Registered
156 Posts
Unless I missed it, yes. It does get very hot very quickly. My R/R and stator turned out to be in great condition (thank god), and after soldering and redoing all the wires to it, it's been great ever since. I've relocated AND done a de-goat, and it still gets quite warm if you're just sitting there with the bike idling.

When moving on a nice day, it stays pleasantly cool though. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts