Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a National Plexistar 2 last spring and it cracked when I flexed it to take it off the bike in October.

I only had it 6 months and National won't do warranty for their Acrylic models, only polycarbonate.

So now I'm looking for a windshield that offers a similar amount of protection, and is also covered by some sort of warranty.

Any suggestions?

I might attempt some sort of repair for the time being, but ultimately I think it will be replaced.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
I know how to stop the crack and reinforce it, if you're interested.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know how to stop the crack and reinforce it, if you're interested.
That would be handy info.

Are you talking about stop drilling the end of the crack?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
I had a similar thing happen to my Memphis Shades Malibu. (All done from the back) I drilled the end of the crack (not quite all the way thru) then Heated the drill point with a torch to "seal" the drill point. Then shaved some of the length of the crack with an angle grinder. I then coated the back side with fiberglass resin (neatly).
Sanded it smooth & painted. The front of mine was painted though. So, it wasn't noticeable. I had met with folks while it was like that & nobody really noticed.
It's a cheap fix till you find something you like.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
That's it ... drill a small hole through the top of the crack, then I figured to stitch a piece of stainless wire in paired smaller holes at the bottom and almost the top. Frankenshield

The rough up with resin may be less noticeable and wouldn't take a lot of resin.

Paint on the inside of the shield will have a nice gloss on the front, if you want to hide it more.

I've patched atv bodies with hot melt glue, but it always looks like open heart surgery scars on the side with the glue.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys,

I read Weld-On 4 works well for cracks on another forum. Just need a needle applicator.

Edit: Something like this would be perfect but it doesn't ship to Canada.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
try a plastic syringe:
LIKE THIS

Search ebay as well...some hobby shops carry similar for pretty cheap.

EDIT: many dentists have them....maybe you can buy one off of them.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just went to a local plastics place here in town and they sold be a little needle applicator bottle and some Weld-On #3 for $15.

I'll give this repair a go tonight.

They also said they wouldn't bother stop drilling when using this stuff.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
If its similar to what I use here at work to join plastics, a second person would be advisable. The second person can hold the shield for you & apply slight pressure to separate the crack. This will allow the "weld" to seep into the crack. Once it's applied & it doesn't take much, you have about 5 seconds before it starts to do it's thing.
Also, I would test a couple squirts to get a feel for how quickly it will come out.
If you get excess "weld" on the plastic, it's pretty much going to stay. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts