Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a chance to pick up cheap chrome set on e-bay, so I finally got the old rusted ones off. Now I could clean them up then I'll either have a spare set, or sell them.
Here's the old

And here the new, the break in sticker was still on the tach! What a difference it makes. :smiley_th

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Nice and shiny!! feels like a whole new bike...right?

It's too bad there is no easy way yo clean them up without having to replace them.

Just curious, but when you removed them to change out the covers, did you do anything to fix the "shaky tach" issue?

On the back of the tach and speedo, there is a mounting post with a shoulder. A rubber spacer rests against the bracket and gets compressed against the housing by a washer and nut. The problem is that the shoulder on the post is not low enough for decent compression of the rubber spacer. I resolved this by adding a metal washer with an ID large enough to clear the shoulder and compress the rubber spacer tighter against the back of the tach/speedo housing. This makes the rubber spacer fit a bit more snug, but still has some dampening to it. I reassembled the dash and mounted it.
Works great and I have no more shaky tach or speedo problems.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
you can clean them, or paint them.
I had the same bezels on my old 454LTD.....those had a rough finish and were a bear to get the rust off. I suppose that with the new products out now (am I aging myself yet) there are easier ways to clean them and get them shiny again. I assumed that the chrome would be worn off after scrubbing them free of rust....so painting them would be the best bet....or just replacing them if you want that shiny finish.
Either way...those look like new...nice job!

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
All the early models up to 2002 had silver painted uppers and the chrome lowers....which are plastic and don't rust. Those 2003 and after, had chome on top too.

The painted ones did and do rust. The newer chrome ones are more rust resistant. ( I believe the upper parts are still metal )

So it looks as though Shark had pre 2003 gauges and replaced them with post 2003 gauges, as the upper parts are chromed.

Not sure about any new treatments.... Good old sandpaper is pretty good at taking the rust off...use a metal rust resistant primer and Krylon "aluminum" spray paint is really close to the stock color.

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
Wow, how did I miss that set, great find, looks awesome!

·
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, how did I miss that set, great find, looks awesome!
It was one of my late night searches while on night shift. $50 shipped.

And I didn't do anything with the shaky tach, but while riding to work I did notice my fuel gauge light wasn't on, so I have to pull it out again when I get around to it, I'll try the washer thing, I just wasn't thinking of it at the time. Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It was one of my late night searches while on night shift. $50 shipped.

And I didn't do anything with the shaky tach, but while riding to work I did notice my fuel gauge light wasn't on, so I have to pull it out again when I get around to it, I'll try the washer thing, I just wasn't thinking of it at the time. Thanks.
just currious what did you do with the old ones? did you throw away? my tach has a cracked rear cover and i need to replace but i dont want to buy a whole new tach just for that...if you still have them would you want to to sell? thanks

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Looks sharp,one of my two favorite colors,Black and Chrome :)

·
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just currious what did you do with the old ones? did you throw away?
I still have the whole gauge set assembly with the dash lights all together. I have the bezels sanded and are ready for paint. I was planning on selling it as a whole assembly this year when I'm done. They pop up on e-bay from time to time, so keep your eyes open. Open another thread in the sell/trade threads, I'm sure someone has one lying around.

·
9 Posts
Evaporust, sold at most auto parts stores, I left my speedo and tack immersed in this product for a few hours and all rust was removed....great for fuel tanks too.....

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Ummm, it will be Silver.:beerchug:
...You are a SIlver Tongued Devil !

:) ...just couldn't resist that statement LOL :)

:smiley_th

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
...."Paint it black you devil, paint it black...."..... ;)
Ummm, it will be Silver.:beerchug:
I recall a couple of members here documenting their cleaning up the rusty upper rings and at least one of them painted his a flat black to avoid the glare in bright sunlight. Mine don't look too bad yet, so not sure which route I will go when the time comes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts