Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fellow Vulcaneers --

I feel like a proud father!! :rockon: Last week I bought an 06 VN750 for $4,500 with . . . can you believe it only 370 miles?! (photos atch) The PO bought it for his wife in July 2006 but being height-challenged she could not feel confidant with it. She put on the 300 miles riding the streets of their subdivision. After 3 years she gave up and bought a scooter instead. Now he rides his big Harley and she keeps up with him on the scooter.

This bike (the new Mr. Spock) was stored in an air conditioned garage and is in show room condition. It still has the factory "Break-in" sticker on the tach with instructions for the first 1,000 miles: <4k rpm for first 500 miles and < 6k rpm for next 500 miles. It was stock except for a Corbin seat. I transfered most of the mods from the old to the new Mr. Spock (see sig block). A few more mods still to transfer. I was going to use synthetic oil but fortunately Lance328 warned me that it's not a good idea to break in an engine with synthetic. Boy, I almost screwed that up big time...Thanx Lance! :smiley_th

The only negative thus far is I noticed in this Florida heat it runs quite a bit hotter than the old ('94) bike. I'm hoping that once I remove the goat's belly and install V&H pipes it will run cooler. After I degoated the old bike using the bypass kit it ran considerably cooler. I sure hope it cools off the new Mr. Spock! Does anyone know if the V&H will run cooler?

The Corbin seat feels just a bit too firm right now but from my experience with previous Corbin seats I know that after a while it will be quite comfortable.

I really need to sell the old Mr. Spock because there is barely enough room in the shed to store two bikes, but not enough room to work on them. I've already had several calls on him locally and I've got my fingers crossed!

-

Attachments

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Incredible buy! The good Lord is looking out for you my friend. If I ride up to Tampa I'm gonna look you and the new Mr. Spock up. Ride him in good health...

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Very nice! Don't think you'll need the extra space in the shed; that baby shouldn't need anything but oil changes for a while!

as the temperature has gone up, I've begun to notice a lot of heat coming from the engine area when stopped at lights. Mine is stock exhaust, so the goat's belly could be a contributing factor.

·
Louder IS better!
289 Posts
WOW! you lucky SOB. that is awesome! congrats on the new baby

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
In the summer you can run up to 70/30 water/coolant mix in hoter climates, you still have good corosion protection and it will run cooler. Water dissipates heat faster than glycol. :smiley_th

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Nice!! The last year of the legendary VN750! :beerchug:
Ride With Pride!! Looks great so far!! :smiley_th

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Always loved that color scheme! Congrats on the new ride. Sounds like it's a peach! I've heard that coastering or marbling will help the engine run a little cooler, at least on the 1500's. Might be the same on the 750.
Very nice ride!:rockon:

·
Registered
738 Posts
Wow, great deal! Basically, a brand new factory bike. And with all your knowledge and the information of this forum, it will last forever.

Enjoy!

·
At Least I Can Spell!
615 Posts
Totally sweet. Lucky Dog, you. Ride long and prosper.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Awesome find! I've been having the same problem with my 98 running a little warmer than I would like, so my dad told me to through some Redline Water Wett off in the radiator. Said it aids the coolant in keeping the engine run cooler and should help some.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
tried that engine ice stuff last summer while in texas...didn't help much...maybee 5 to 10 degrees is all
Hey Slim, is that a guess based on how the bike felt, or what the meter read, or what? I'm just curious. I don't know how to measure it very accurately unless I were to stick a magnetic thermometer to one of the jugs or something. Every little bit would be better for the engine though, right? :confused:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice.

The bike will run cooler after it breaks in more. You need a good 1500-2000 miles on the motor before everything settles in.

Luckily you know what the bike needs... ;)

KM
My thanx to each of you for your responses! :smiley_th

KM -- Thanx for the tip about running hotter during break-in. It's been a L O N G time since I owned a new vehicle.

Cliff -- The saddlebags are throw-over saddlebags. The leather-like piece that holds the bags together is hidden under the seat. These are saddleman brand bags.

Lance -- Thanx for the tip about 70/30 mix; water runs cooler!

Fergy -- The old bike did run cooler after marbling; thanx for tip on Engine Ice

MSH -- Ride Long & Prosper -- I luv it dude! :rockon:

DawgsFan -- Thanx for tip about Water Wetter

My thanx to each of you not mentioned above!! :beerchug:

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Nice find FLR. I found this interesting thread in the Verses last summer, shortly after I joined the forum. It is about breaking in a new engine for power, long life and reliability. It IS NOT the way that the factory sticker on your tach suggests. Read it and decide for yourself if this is the way we should all be breaking in a new engine!

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1110

1 - 20 of 23 Posts