Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm more of a lurker here so bear with me. I ride an '04 VN750 and LOVE THE BIKE. I have over 15,500 miles on her and I haven't had her two years yet. I opted to replace teh stock seat with the Mustang seat and I have to say ... I'm regretting it.

Okay, typically Mustang and Corbin are the two names for replacement seats. Since I hhave the Kawi Extended sissy bar on my bike (which my fiance thanks me for) I can't do the Corbin seat. Their website now even states that: "Does not work with tall Kawasaki sissy bar." So, I opted for the Mustang seat which I kinda liked the looks better anyway.

So, I know there's a break in period. Sure, no problem. I've tried that. I've done several 200+ mile rides, I've done many 15 mile commutes. I did an 1,100 mile 3-day ride in the CO mountains. I now have over 3,000 miles on the Mustang seat and nearly 2 months and I hate the seat. It feels like I'm sitting on a brick !!! My stock was never this bad.

So, I guess my question is ... do other VN750 riders ahve this problem with Mustang seats? Is it just my seat or my butt? Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks.

Clair

·
Registered
17 Posts
I like my Mustang seat

Sorry you do not like yours. I have been happy with mine since the first time I put it on and sat on it. I drove 5 hours to VA beach one day and returned the next day (6 hours) and had no compaints with the seat. I also tried and still have the corbin seat. I thought the corbin was much harder and transmitted the bike vibrations much more. My girl friend at the time hated the corbin. My fiance has no problem with the Mustang. The rear seat is much wider on the Mustang.

The stock seat is much softer at first, but I would quickly get a sore back. The Mustang has a lumbar support that I think is wonderful.

I thought the Mustang website indicated that there was no need for a breakin period.

My only complaint with the Mustang seat is that it sits higher than the stock seat and there is a larger gap between the seat and fender.

Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sent a email to Mustang about my seat, here's their reply:

We suggest that you send the seat in to our factory and we will put your
foam through our foam-softening process free of charge.

So, I'm going to give this a try ...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Where did you guys buy your Mustang seats from? I'm still using the original seat and at times I get a sore rear. I think it has a lot to do with the temp here as when it's not so warn/hot I don't get as sore.

·
Registered
32 Posts
>>I can't do the Corbin seat. Their website now even states that: "Does not work with tall Kawasaki sissy bar."<<

Huh. I know I am not the only one who has the sissy bar and a Corbin. In fact Corbin recovered my sissy bar to match the seat I had done.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
I just finished a 535 mile ride (from the VN750 gathering) with a corbin and an Airhawk pad. Without the Airhawk pad, I can only last about 3 hours (with a short gas break). I took short gas stops except for a late lunch 3 hours from my house and had a slightly sore seat. I think two other people at the gathering had it as well. If you have the Corbin or Mustang, get the medium size. For the stock seat, get the small.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My Corbin fit just fine with the tall Kaw sissybar. The Corbin was to thinly padded (but beautiful to look at!) and I sold it. I found the stock Kaw seat quite comfortable.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I bought a used one off Ebay that was stated to have 500 miles on it. I thought it was hard at first but after my first ride I could tell the difference in riding longer w/o stops and not near as sore at end of ride. Seat still seems hard for short rides but I am getting used to it especially with the back support. I agree that it sits me that almost 2" higher which made my current windshield too short, but I wanted a wider one anyway for winter.

Clair said:
Okay, I'm more of a lurker here so bear with me. I ride an '04 VN750 and LOVE THE BIKE. I have over 15,500 miles on her and I haven't had her two years yet. I opted to replace teh stock seat with the Mustang seat and I have to say ... I'm regretting it.

Okay, typically Mustang and Corbin are the two names for replacement seats. Since I hhave the Kawi Extended sissy bar on my bike (which my fiance thanks me for) I can't do the Corbin seat. Their website now even states that: "Does not work with tall Kawasaki sissy bar." So, I opted for the Mustang seat which I kinda liked the looks better anyway.

So, I know there's a break in period. Sure, no problem. I've tried that. I've done several 200+ mile rides, I've done many 15 mile commutes. I did an 1,100 mile 3-day ride in the CO mountains. I now have over 3,000 miles on the Mustang seat and nearly 2 months and I hate the seat. It feels like I'm sitting on a brick !!! My stock was never this bad.

So, I guess my question is ... do other VN750 riders ahve this problem with Mustang seats? Is it just my seat or my butt? Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks.

Clair

·
Registered
226 Posts
I am just waiting for somebody to say they dont like thiers and they want to sell it for less than half price, lol.....just put foam in stock seats and making do.
:)

·
Registered
198 Posts
My stock seat feels fine. But I am a lightweight, 140 pounds, maybe that makes a difference. I can ride 3 hours straight with no problems.

Dan - Seattle

·
Registered
226 Posts
Sorry to resurect a dead topic, but its alive and well in my world. I like a very upright seating posture, and find the mustang seat that came with my used bike is too laid bac, and generally doesn't offer enough back support for me, though it might just be that I haven't ridden enough yet to get used to it. Does anyone else use back supports? Either back rests or bags that double as back rests?

·
Now what
400 Posts
A lot of people like the Pro Tac back support. It fits the bike with the stock seat, I'm not sure if it fits with the Mustang on though. Someone else should know.

·
Registered
83 Posts
InsuredDisaster said:
....Does anyone else use back supports? Either back rests or bags that double as back rests?
I use a "SEAL-LINE BAJA 40 HD" waterproof bag to carry my rain gear and spare gloves in, along with my leather overpants during the summer and a blanket during the winter, and I lean back on that. I've even used a couple of air pillows out of our camping gear to get a little more volume in the Baja bag when needed.

CD in Frederick, OK

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Travelcade

I looked at all the seats and decided on a travelcade. I must say I have had no problems with water retention and the gelpads are fantastic.I read where some folks had a problem with them retaining solar heat but I have not really noticed it. My butt lasts as long as the gas and after a short break is ready for more miles.

Rckmtn

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ironman said:
A lot of people like the Pro Tac back support. It fits the bike with the stock seat, I'm not sure if it fits with the Mustang on though. Someone else should know.
I have the Protac backrest on my 1500 and a Mustang and love it! I haven't bought one yet for the 750 yet. Am still using the stock seat and ride it more in town so will probably buy a Protac backrest and keep the stock seat. On the 1500 the combo of Mustang seat and Protac backrest is incredible.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
No modifications needed to install the Pro-Tac Backrest. It uses the shock bolt. Just take off the nut, slip the bracket in place and replace the nut.

·
Registered
169 Posts
InsuredDisaster said:
Did you have to do any modifications to get the protac to fit?
As Dianna said...no mods necessary. It's a simple bolt on bracket that mounts under the top shock nut. Takes maybe 5 minutes to put both brackets on and your done.

·
Registered
27 Posts
"The stock seat is much softer at first, but I would quickly get a sore back. The Mustang has a lumbar support that I think is wonderful." "Without the Airhawk pad, I can only last about 3 hours." Initially, my stock seat was good for about 75 miles, my Mustang replacement helped me make it to 125miles; the Air Hawk used almost empty allows me to ride all day. Ken

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mustang seat

When I first installed my Muustang seat, I went for a ride, after about forty miles I was looking for a gas stop. When I got home I put the stock seat back on, and put the Mustang seat back in box, I must have switched back and forth a half a dozen times, now am using the Mustang seat aand am really pleased with it. I can ride a tank of gas without getting off of bike , which is about 150 to 160 miles. For me it could not be better.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts