Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
Nice sounding & Clean looking 750....low mileage...seems excellent in the video.

Nice Seat, what is that seat ?

New rear tire ?

I need to replace my rear tire once a year.... I blame it on AZ. 's rough asphalt. :doh:

LOL

:smiley_th
Rough asphalt and the heat. Where in NE are you?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
William the rear tire is a Pirelli route MT66 size 150/90/15. Not sure if it's original it was on the bike when I got it. The seat is a Mustang, the part number is 4-vn73r/75359. Fool, I live in Connecticut. Really hoping to work soon, I can't wait to take the course, get my license, and get this thing on the road. Really looking forward to it. I have new bars going on it soon, as a present I got Biltwell Keystones and nice grips. A good friend of mine is going to help me install them because I don't know how lol. I love the way it runs, it seems to have a slight fluctuation in idle though. When i put the bike on the side stand it idles lower and when I stand it up it idles higher then goes back down a bit and when I give it some throttle like I did in the video it stays a little high for a minute then it goes back down. I wouldn't imagine it's a big deal though.

·
4,508 Posts
William the rear tire is a Pirelli route MT66 size 150/90/15. Not sure if it's original it was on the bike when I got it. The seat is a Mustang, the part number is 4-vn73r/75359. Fool, I live in Connecticut. Really hoping to work soon, I can't wait to take the course, get my license, and get this thing on the road. Really looking forward to it. I have new bars going on it soon, as a present I got Biltwell Keystones and nice grips. A good friend of mine is going to help me install them because I don't know how lol. I love the way it runs, it seems to have a slight fluctuation in idle though. When i put the bike on the side stand it idles lower and when I stand it up it idles higher then goes back down a bit and when I give it some throttle like I did in the video it stays a little high for a minute then it goes back down. I wouldn't imagine it's a big deal though.
Just a thought...
Read the DOT date on BOTH your tires...know what you are riding on.
Tires pushing 7 y/o are considered risky.
Many threads with a link to Online instruction on how to read/interpret DOT Date Codes.
Tho, I would think Rear tire is not the original.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Your 99

That is a nice looking bike. It has been debadged and I like the Mustang seat. I have a 99 that is debadged also. I replaced the side covers with chrome ones from the early 90's and have a Corbin seat. If it hasn't been ridden much the last few years, run a couple strong doses of Sea Foam through it. That will clean up the carburetors.

Ride Safe

Mcneuby

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thank you! Yeah it wasn't run for a few years before I got my hands on it. The person that had it before me had it stored under a motorcycle cover outside for a few years untouched, the gas that was in it was like turpentine. The carbs were terrible, I did a computer job for a friend of mine and he took the carbs out and cleaned them up good for me. The oil was also very sludgy as well, I changed the oil with Valvoline 10-40 four stroke motorcycle oil. It looked pretty sad to, I uploaded before and after pictures on my VN750 forum page. The badges had to go, not only do I like the flush look but they were in sad shape anyway. How much sea-foam should I use? I also have Stabil in the gas as well is it ok to add seafoam to that? The chrome covers sound nice!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Sea Foam

All I use is the Sea Foam. I use it to over winter the bike. We have had a really bad winter here in the Midwest. I guess out east you had a bad winter also. This week end I am going to get my bike out. We haven't had any riding weather yet. I guess there have been a few bikes out on some half way decent days. I saw a Harley out and it was in the low teens. This week end looks like it might be OK. Not great but tolerable. Have a great summer

Ride Safe

Mcneuby :smiley_th

·
4,508 Posts
I would not think Sta-Bil and Seafoam mixed to be a problem.
I always used Sta-Bil at home for my Chain Saws, Lawn Mower and Weed Eater gas containers (& in tanks) for winter/long term storage.
Now I use Seafoam instead of Sta-Bil....works fine/better than Sta-Bil (Gasoline still stay's fresh in storage).

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
If my bike sits too long, I dump the gas and use it in my mower,,,,I dont use chemicals that might hurt my bike....I rarely even use SeaFoam....just goes againt my grain....if yer bike has sat...drain the gas...refill with fresh....remember, gasoline gives off volatile gasses....eventually, they evaporate....the chem ya put in to "revitalize it", can hurt yer motor....

...prove me wrong.....

·
4,508 Posts
If my bike sits too long, I dump the gas and use it in my mower,,,,I dont use chemicals that might hurt my bike....I rarely even use SeaFoam....just goes againt my grain....if yer bike has sat...drain the gas...refill with fresh....remember, gasoline gives off volatile gasses....eventually, they evaporate....the chem ya put in to "revitalize it", can hurt yer motor....

...prove me wrong.....
Never Wolfie !

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wolfie what does it do to hurt it? The gas that I have in it is only a couple weeks old, I don't remember how much Stabil I put in it but I followed the directions and it wasn't very much.

·
4,508 Posts
Wolfie what does it do to hurt it? The gas that I have in it is only a couple weeks old, I don't remember how much Stabil I put in it but I followed the directions and it wasn't very much.
Your fresh Gasoline is 100% for minimum 90+ of days...no sweat.

I found Sta-Bil good for 12 + months......

hth

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
I give 'er about 1 oz per gallon every few tanks and have used a double dose once or twice a year or two. We did have a member (can't remember who) who gave his bike like 1/2 can every tank and a year later had melted float valve seats which he suspected was from his heavy SeaFoam use.

Used in moderation I think it's good stuff to help keep the tank and carbs clean.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I appreciate everyone's advice. Thank you dirty doc I like this bike a lot. Eventually I would like to put aftermarket exhaust on it, nothing ear splitting loud, just something a little louder and more of a grumble.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
A few months wont harm gas too much....over a year is when ya gotta worry....like over winter too because of condensation....

if ya want some nice pipes that are basically bolt ons...go the old Sportster muff route....you can use em baffled or debaffles, goats belly or not....lotta options.....all ya need to mount em is a short piece of band steel....PM Okiebezer...I walked him thru his, and he loves em....

Rule of thumb with em though....no belly, keep the baffles...if you have a belly, you can go debaffled.....gives the bike a deeper rumble too....

They can be found on Ebay fer like $40pr....get the ones with the tabs...easier to mount....

This is the type ya want...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Davidson-XL-883-1200-Sportster-Exhaust-mufflers-Pipes-65613-97-/121074807227?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c309ef1bb&vxp=mtr#ht_4138wt_1089

1 - 20 of 30 Posts