Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
Looks sweet wolfie, I agree with the accents, I say get rid of all blue, go with red or white, man that looks nice.

kenny
I would go with red myself. That is definitely one of the most unique VN750's I've ever seen, very impressive Wolfie. With that big fairing on there, I wonder what beach bars would look like. But yeah, I totally agree with everyone except Blaz - great job, man. :smiley_th

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
Well, I guess I'm gonna be the stick in the mud. I don't like it. I'm gonna leave it that because I don't want Wolfie pissed at me, LOL.
There is an old wise saying about opinions and you certainly deserve to have an opinion just like everyone else. If Wolfie wasn't willing to hear at least one negative comment I don't think he would have posted under two separate threads (lol). I guess this is getting closer to what he had in his head and to that I give him credit. I still have lots of modifications in my head for my bike but haven't gotten there by a long shot. Wolfie, I'm glad you are getting your ride that much closer to what you really want. I know all too well that the road to that end can be a long way. Good luck in finishing it.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Sharp, nice job buddy. I was thinking white walls on my 900 but you really did a great job with incorporating red into them. Man, that bike looks great.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Well, I guess I'm gonna be the stick in the mud. I don't like it. I'm gonna leave it that because I don't want Wolfie pissed at me, LOL.
Actually I think it would be more useful if you explained what you did not like, might give the Wolf something to consider, possibly for improvement.

Just a thought.

And that's what opinions are all about, everybody has one.

I personally think all the blue has to go. Again, just my opinion at the end of the day Wolfie has to like it, not me.

He tells me my bike is ugly now, I told him not to look at it :)

Kenny

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
Well, if you want to read my opinion, then here it goes:

I feel the red and black are too contrasting. For one, I feel there is too much red. Maybe if a darker red had been used, the bike wouldn't look like it belonged to a Fire Department. And I sincerely hope you plan to remove all the blue.

Another complaint is in regards to the white wall tires. WHY?!?!?! Why would anyone put WW's on a custom bike? That's what the 750's are, a custom. Short front and rear fenders, oversized front wheel, and other details which set it apart as a custom and not a classic. Now, if you had found a 15 inch front wheel to use the WW tire on, then I wouldn't be freaking out so bad, LOL. I simply feel WW tires were never meant to be worn on a vn750.

I commend you spirit in making the bike your own. Please don't mad, Wolfie. :motorcycl

EDIT: Ok, gotta correct myself a bit. I didn't see the larger rear fender before. However, it still needs the same size front and rear tires to make it a true classic.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I will be putting white walls on mine after I get the rims black powder coated, and rake the front end.:rockon:
I like the looks of that bike in your attachment pic! Pretty good lookin'.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Well, if you want to read my opinion, then here it goes:
I really respect others' opinions. I understand what you are saying. I like it when people step up and speak out.

So, as far as it matters, part of my degree has to do with engineering design and I will tell you the most interesting designs are those which evoke conversation good or bad. Wofie's bike has character. That's heart and soul to me. He's poured a bit of it into this project.

When I look at design characteristics there's always something that inspires me to some degree. It's usually something I've never seen before which causes my mind to drift to other ideas. I'll take innovation over invention any day. The latter is too difficult.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Well to defend wolf, those white wall tires are truly completely custom. No way anybody ever purchased the same ones anywhere, ever.

kenny

Reactions: OleDirtyDoc

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
I like the looks of that bike in your attachment pic! Pretty good lookin'.
Yeah its a sweet ride. I don't know if ill go with that vn800 tank though. I've been looking at a meanie tank but they're so freakin long (end of tank would be sitting on top of battery lol), might even just cut&weld oem tank. Goin with.some jet black paint with purple pearl (the purp will be so dark you'll only notice in direct sunlight). As always though, gotta have the dough!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Yeah its a sweet ride. I don't know if ill go with that vn800 tank though. I've been looking at a meanie tank but they're so freakin long (end of tank would be sitting on top of battery lol), might even just cut&weld oem tank. Goin with.some jet black paint with purple pearl (the purp will be so dark you'll only notice in direct sunlight). As always though, gotta have the dough!
Yea, the tank looks a little bulky and kinda out of place there, but I like everything else on there. I think a simpler tank would look great on there.

A beefed up stock tank would probably look the best on it.

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
Yea, the tank looks a little bulky and kinda out of place there, but I like everything else on there. I think a simpler tank would look great on there.

A beefed up stock tank would probably look the best on it.
Yeah if I mod our oem tank I'm not going to make it longer or taller ,just a little wider. I do like the concept of the gauges mounted to the tank though, to clean up the top tree area...but Nuff said about all that on this thread I don't want to impose on wolfies thread. :smiley_th

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thanks all for your comments...was a true labour of love...both positive and negative are always welcome, as it makes me think further and deeper...even comments from you Blaz... ;)

And yeah...the blue is ALL getting canned...gonna stick with the blk/red theme....just need to balance it some, so thinking about painting the sissy and grabrails red, with black pins...and the curved red pin on the fairing is gonna go...was an experiment....I AM gonna put my wolfshead on it though soon as I get one...as for the whitewalls, well, I had a vintage Harley with whitewalls, so, wanted to go back to that....If I had my way, she's have a VN1500 front end, with chrome fork covers, and a 16" front wheel with fat tire...I'd really want spoked wheels, but thats about impossible with this bike (too costly anyway)....

What Im mostly proud of, is she was built from used and salvaged parts, at a minimal cost...I dont think there was more than a $350 cash outlay for all....thanks in part to trades/donations by some of the members here...but....for those who buy a "basket case", basically like I did, I just wanted to prove that its possible to do a lot more, without it costing a mint....its all just planning, forethought, and ballbustin labor....in the end, its "yours"...nobody elses...one of a kind...like me...and thats what I was striving for...I guess I succeeded for a change, lol...

Its still gonna get a P-pad...and Im diggin that backrest Okie...and the bars will be changed eventually as well as installing a Paughco 5.5 gal tank...but its ridin season, and the Pack's been itchin....tryin to finish all in the next day or 2, as I may have a biker funeral/wake to go to Sat...donrt wanna take the cage....actually, I wouldnt...

And hay...any detailed questions (as to how/why), comments, suggestions are always welcome....I didnt take many pics during fabrication, but most of it was basic stuff...I now have a kickass camera (no beer this week), so can take great pics if desired....even 720p vids...

And yes....soon as I get my toolbox and workbench up to the garage (need help), as well as get the electric updated, full production on my FWDs and Hiway pegs will start, as well as other mods....I need a small fridge in there for beer, and a cot...I will be almost living in there shortly...I can deal with the coon...

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
I'll ship you a 3' used dorm fridg and a case of beer in Exchange tor a set of controls, lol.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
You know, from Florida, you'd be cuttin yerself short...payin WAY too much...gimme a lil more time....things are finally falling into place, and I'll be bangin em out....I got like 24 orders so far ya know, lol...still need to get either a metal chopsaw, or a metal jigsaw to produce a lot...cuttin with a 4 1/2 inch now...thats backyard sheit...need to be able to stack 10 plates with a template, and run thru em...

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I am impressed Wolfie. I would really like to take a ride on it to compare the feel and comfort with my stocker.

What feels good and works for one guy may leave the next guy cold.

For example, I use to know an old self taught painter who would buy older "classic" cars and trucks, fix them up a bit, paint 'em, then sell to make a few hundred $. He put a pair of bucket seats in a '68 to '72 style GMC pickup that he thought was just the cat's meow. With new paint it was a good looking truck, until I climbed into the seat. Felt like I was being pitched forward. I couldn't drive it with that seat.

It seems to be similar with motorcycles. What fits one rider to a "T", may not suit the next guy at all.

Keep on modding until you have everything just as YOU want it.
Who gives a tinker's damn what anybody else thinks. ;)

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
I am impressed Wolfie. I would really like to take a ride on it to compare the feel and comfort with my stocker.

What feels good and works for one guy may leave the next guy cold.

For example, I use to know an old self taught painter who would buy older "classic" cars and trucks, fix them up a bit, paint 'em, then sell to make a few hundred $. He put a pair of bucket seats in a '68 to '72 style GMC pickup that he thought was just the cat's meow. With new paint it was a good looking truck, until I climbed into the seat. Felt like I was being pitched forward. I couldn't drive it with that seat.

It seems to be similar with motorcycles. What fits one rider to a "T", may not suit the next guy at all.

Keep on modding until you have everything just as YOU want it.
Who gives a tinker's damn what anybody else thinks. ;)
If that were the case, he wouldn't have posted it up here for us to comment on.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
If that were the case, he wouldn't have posted it up here for us to comment on.
I post my progress on things to hear ideas, and usually dismiss them, but one in every 100 or so, a good idea comes and I use it.

kenny

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I post my progress on things to hear ideas, and usually dismiss them, but one in every 100 or so, a good idea comes and I use it.

kenny
Which in turn says that you do care about what others say.

Anyway, Wolfie, I've seen you mention a few times how Harley mufflers can be fit easily to the VN750. Are those the ones you always mean? How's the sound compared to stock? Can you give an "in a nut shell" description of how to put another set of mufflers on the bike?

Also, are the dust boots on the forks supposed to be there? Now I saw Fenris' (I think) bike and it has the same ones... wondering if I'm just missing them on mine.

21 - 40 of 205 Posts