Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
I have a 712 on the front of mine with 5k clocked on it still looks new to me my brother put a 230 on his and replaced it at 6k with it looking like an onion skin

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have a 712 on the front of mine with 5k clocked on it still looks new to me my brother put a 230 on his and replaced it at 6k with it looking like an onion skin
Yep. How hard you push tires through a heat cycle certainly determines how fast the tires will wear down.

I'm getting older. My tires last a long time and I ride almost everyday. :beerchug:

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Yep. How hard you push tires through a heat cycle certainly determines how fast the tires will wear down.

I'm getting older. My tires last a long time and I ride almost everyday. :beerchug:
:D:D:D @ 20 mile/day...tires last for ever ! LOL :D:D:D

...just kidding :):):)

:smiley+th

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
20 miles a day is about right for me....plus weekend and evening adventures.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Finally got some more of the brake parts I ordered. New caliper pistons, seals, and dust covers from partsnmore. Got some speed bleeders too.

·
R/R = Relocated *******
628 Posts
Very nice! Wish I had that kind of space to work in. Wifey likes parking her car in the garage...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Rebuilt the calipers and installed the master cylinder. Just need the new brake lines now and it will stop. Rear is mechanically linked drum shoes and works fine.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
well - I just go for functional. I want my bikes to run 100%. Looks are secondary.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
well - purdy or whatever - what I like to do is build a bike that RUNS like new. I don't really care about paint or chrome or show quality anything. Dirt, grease and raw steel look just fine IMHO. But it must RUN and Operate perfectly.

While I am waiting for the brake line order snafu to work itself out - I started tearing into the battery box and associated electronic gizmos attached to said battery box for a good clean up and going over.

This will be the before pics and will help me put the box back together right. ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Time for an update on the Army bike.

Installed a non vacuum petcock. A got a good old on/off/reserve manual type petcock that actually goes to a YAMAHA TW200.

I also received the Stainless steel brakes line I ordered from a guy I do business with on on Ebay. No one offered a set made FOR my bike so I called coastguard1975 from ebay (he made me a set for my CB900C) and told him the measurements and he sent me a set for $70 bucks or so.

I really like the look:

I also found a seat I like. Snicker and sneer all you want. I like it and think it will look so cool on this bike once it is trimmed and fitted (if needed). If not. I will recover the stock seat.

Next up - fill brakes lines with fluid and bleed - then on to the engine tear down. The lift will be freed up for laying parts out on. ;)

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
No snickering or sneering here about your seat choice ... I have the same idea. I figure if the farmers can spend the day sitting on them on a bumpy tractor, it should be fine on the road. I just haven't found one yet ... that I can afford.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Not my style of seat, but that's not really a big deal for me. You're doing an amazing job with the bike. Really clean work, and treating her right.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Roger that. Btw . . . . That seat was 70 bucks shipped on ebay.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Got the tractor seat. Placed it on the bike about where I want it and snapped a few pics. Personally - I love it. YMMV . . . . lol Looks kinda "rustic". :motorcycl

I ordered the appropriate "C" tractor spring and am currently fabricating the removable web and accumulating the necessary hardware to mount the spring and seat. There will be welding and cutting going on but it will all be removable to allow the stock seat to go on for two up riding. The spring will need some trimming for my application and looks like this:

·
Registered
97 Posts
I love the tractor seat...whole bike really, you are doing an awesome job! Personally I would mount that seat spring on a seat pan metal blank/cover plate that sat over the fender struts to keep everything clean and then you would still be able to pull it off and run the stock seat. Or go full on old school and get a Harley style piston to support the seat, that would look really cool and you could adjust the height and hide the mounts inside the frame. Just a thought, either way that is going to be one nice ride when you're done! Oh, I have a buddy who still uses an old tractor seat like that on his tractor and he had his wife take a piece of memory foam to cover it and used some marine grade seat covering material to make a slip on/off seat cover for the longer days in the saddle

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
the leather pad is a great idea. I will make one with memory and high density foam and make it easy to add and remove. Tractor seats are comfortable tho. Even bare steel ones. Weird - but they support you whole ass and just don't hurt too much.

made a plate to hold the seat spring - it is easily removed and really strong. Made the plate out of 1/4" steel plate.

I put a longer bolt in place of the fuel tank hold down bolt and it pushes down on a tab in the forward part of the plate and then used two u bolts and some drilling of holes - and whala!!! Seat plate.

I'll post pics of the plate installed soon.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts