Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Viking
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Completed my first oilchange ever on a bike - really satisfyiung to be able to do something by myself. Found a very usefull description here on the site.

I removed the oilscreen, and didn't take notice of the black gum like stuff on it, and what looked like a few aluminium particles. It didn't seem like much - and I cleaned it off - and the bike runs smooth. However after read recent posts I'm concerned about if that was parts of my dampers? Is it normal with some gum like stuff on the oil screen - it wasn't much ?:wow:

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Where they little black chunks or black shavings? Black shavings are usually clutch plate wear, I believe.

Black chunks definitely point to dampers. I am in the process of doing this now, the engine is out and sitting on my garage floor.

When I first got the bike, the concept of an engine pull would scare me. Now I am just excited to get her going again. The internal engine work required is very easy, and is actually the quickest part of the job. I'd say I had the internal work done in under 30 minutes (strap-wrenches are awesome). The tight spaces during dis-assembly and re-assembly are what get to you.

·
Viking
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My first oil change...

Pheeew... It sounds very well as clutch wear.... Yes, next project is the spline lube thing... But hey, when I have it off I'll might as well put on a new tire, and some new brakes.....
:smiley_th:smiley_th
Will I finally end riding it....

Thanks for the input

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
If the oil hadn't been changed for a while there could have been some sludge built up and that could be sort of gummy. If the dampers were coming apart I would think the chunks would not feel gummy, although I've never seen them in mine. Clutch shavings shouldn't feel gummy either imo.

·
Viking
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
even if i tightend the oil filter as a fast as possible by hand, a few drops of oil on the ground when she gets hot. I cleaned the oil gasket area before putting on the new oil filter - added oil etc. etc.

Seems that oil drips from the oilfilter down on the starter motor....

Anyone experienced this before?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Did you put oil on the ring before installing? That helps it seal up.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
you didn't say what filter you are using, but make sure it is the correct size diameter to make a good seal (2.3" O.D. gasket ).

hand tight is all you really need....if you used a wrench then it is possible you over tightened the filter.

check this thread for filters that work on the VN750:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1142

·
Viking
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hand tightend with both hands, as tight as I could. So maybe I "over tightend it"?

It is a Champion f302 - should fit the bike.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
hand tight with one hand...then a little extra crank with two hands should have been fine.

Oil filter
- '85-'94 = larger size 2.95" diameter
- '95 up = smaller size 2.76" diameter

Oil filter (mating) plate
- '85-'93 = 13169-1921 = 2.95" (75mm)
- '94 = 13169-1921 = 2.95" (75mm)
- '94 = 13270-1170 = 2.76" (70mm)
- '95 up = 13270-1170 = 2.76" (70mm)

First Choice: Filters about 3.25 inches long: -
Purolator Pure One PL14610, about $6. -
Mobil 1 M1-110, about $10. Made by Champion. -
Bosch 3323, about $6.Made By Champion. -
WalMart SuperTech ST7317, about $2. Made by Champion

Second Choice: Filters about 2.5 inches long: -
Purolator Pure One PL14612, about $6. -
Mobil M1-108, about $12. Made by Champion. -
Bosch 3300, about $6. Made by Champion. -
WalMart SuperTech ST6607, about $2. Made by Champion.

Re: Wal-Mart Oil Filters The ST 2808 has been replaced by the ST 3593A.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts