Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I’m excited to be part of your group. I just completed my MSF class and got my M endorsement on my license. I have yet to ride on the road…
I bought this 1994 VN750 a couple of weeks before I took my class as I figured I’d dump it many times as I learned and I didn’t want a new bike to worry about. However, after taking the class I feel a lot better about handling the bike. I look forward to practicing my low speed skills on the Vulcan. I paid $850 for this beauty knowing it needs a stator. I already replaced the front turn signals and am checking it over carefully. I’ll replace the stator and all fluids and shine it up (though it needs little work there…it’s super clean).
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Motorcycle

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Fuel tank Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive fuel system Photograph

·
Super Moderator
843 Posts
Moderator here...

Sorry about your posts not showing up immediately. You somehow got caught by the spam filter, and I just now logged in and saw what happened.

I approved everything except the duplicate posts, but you should be good to go to post anything now.

If you need further assistance (with the site, that is...) feel free to send me a direct message if you need to. Otherwise, there's some extremely helpful and knowledgeable folks here that are always eager to help.

Welcome aboard!

(Nice ride! Looks great for a '94!!!)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Moderator here...

Sorry about your posts not showing up immediately. You somehow got caught by the spam filter, and I just now logged in and saw what happened.

I approved everything except the duplicate posts, but you should be good to go to post anything now.

If you need further assistance (with the site, that is...) feel free to send me a direct message if you need to. Otherwise, there's some extremely helpful and knowledgeable folks here that are always eager to help.

Welcome aboard!

(Nice ride! Looks great for a '94!!!)
Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Suuuuper clean bike, dude! Fair warning, the stator isn't the easiest thing to change on this bike, and is probably the reason most of them get sold in non-working order. There are threads on both standard stator changes and the 'tuxedo mod', which involves chopping out part of the engine case so you don't have to pull the motor to change the stator. Not for the faint of heart!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Congratulations, you got the bargain of the year in my opinion. $850.00!!? Great. The stator is a little more difficult than some other things you may need to do down the road, but if you have any experience with working on vehicles, it is not that bad. A regular set of tools and a small floor jack. Nothing exotic is required.

However, have you done the tests to make sure it is the stator? Not hard to check and maybe you will get lucky and only need a R/R or upgrade to a Mosfet. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
10,801 Posts
I'd say it's a good price as well, given today's market. I should check today's book price on our Vulcans, I'm sure I'll be surprised. Al my cars are valued more than just three years ago.

Got mine in 2012 for $600, bad stator and RR, cosmetic damage from being down, along with bent forks. I did all the repairs and most of the mods before even getting to ride it.

As long as you don't go to the shop for work and parts, you'll come out just fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have the new stator, and I did order the tuxedo plate. I’m pretty handy in the shop so I can either do the tuxedo mod or loosen the engine and do it the “long” way. Trying to make that decision. The tuxedo mod would allow pretty quick and easy changes in the future.
You know, I bought this bike so I wouldn’t feel bad if I dumped it while practicing. But I’m obsessed with it! I love looking at it, sitting on it, starting it. It runs so well!
I’ve always wanted a Triumph, and I looked at a couple of used versions today and really, the VN750 is so much more comfortable. I think I’m just going to stop looking at other bikes, get the Vulcan all tuned up and ready for spring and ride the heck out of it.
And yes, I will absolutely do the diagnostics to make sure the stator is truly bad before digging in.

·
Super Moderator
843 Posts
Well getting a book value on the VN750 isn't easy, major books don't even list it.

JD Power gave me $1587 average retail. They awarded $252 for saddlebags. Ha!

I gave up after four pages.
When I bought mine, I scoured the internet and eventually determined that the average retail on an '06 was between $1500 - $2000 for less than 10k miles. Anything over 10k drops dramatically. At $850, it's a steal and hopefully he'll not need the stator mod.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts