Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've been riding my 91 since I bought the bike in 1997. I let it sit for the last 3 years and then recently brought it back from the dead. I overhauled the carbs, cleaned the tank and fuel lines, overhauled the master cylinder and calipers, messed with new pilot jets and hotter jets (moved to Utah at 4100 ft alt) and still have electrical problems. It is running as well now as I ever remember it running and I love it.

I am taking my first big ride this weekend. I'm going from Salt Lake City to Tahoe and back (about 1,100 miles). Weather is great and I can't wait to get on the road. I would ask if anyone had any hints to make this ride better, but I am leaving tomorrow morning. Still, I would like to hear of good crusing stories and comparisons such as gas milage. I get 40 mpg now, but don't know if that is normal, or if I can do better considering I have overahuled damn near everything.

Just found VN750, and love it. Thanx to all. I will post pictures when I get back.

:blah:
:worthless
:smiley_th

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, that was fun.

I started out on Friday morning. I got the tire plug kit, and a way to pump it up if it were flat. I only had to go 128 miles (Salt Lake to Wendover) and at45 mpg, I should have been able to make it easily. Nope. I found out that at 85-90 mph, I can only go 118.3 miles. Oops. Luckily, my sister was unkowingly right behind me. I picked up the ride to Wendover, filled up a gas can, got the bike running again, and then proudly wore the spare can on my back for the next 1,000 miles.

Elko to Winnemucca was hot, but fun. Winnemucca had a good convention going on, so there were hundreds of bikes on the road. Hi to all those that I passed, and for the Harleys that were too cool, I don't want a harley anyways. You can have it.

It took me about 400 miles to finally figure out just how to relax on the bike. I can sit up for only so long. I had my hiking backpack on for all my gear which acted as a good back rest, but wasn't quite enough. Ultimately, I figured out (quite by accident) that if I put the left half of my left but cheek on the seat and let the rest hang off (no, there isn't that much... yet) then I can open my left foot and rest the left side of my left ankle on the foot peg and ride for some time comfortably. Lessons learnt? I need highway pegs. That is coming.

It was the ride back that was a blast. Tahoe to Winnemucca was great. But then, I could see it, off in the distance. A big black cloud darkened the distant Nevada desert and took what little rays of sunshine it had and squashed it. Being the dimwitted guy that I am, I figured it wasn't so bad and I kept going. "I can get wet" I thought. The drops started to pelt my open left leg (Ouch!!) and then the road started getting wet. No biggy, new front tire, riding jacket, the rest of my gear was weather proof, I'm good. I caught up to a horrific storm that eventually wiped away my vision, and any good judgement I had left. I passed an over pass and saw 4 bikes parked underneath. I thought "what wimps. I would never wait it out on the side of the freeway." That was dumb. I didn't get a quarter mile before the snow (I know, what the hell is snow doing in the Nevada desert?) yes the snow was 2 inches thick on the highway. I found a track left by the car in front of me and coasted to the side. After trying to wait out the slick conditions for 10 minutes, I tucked my tail between my legs, turned it around and joined the smart guys under the over pass. Good guys, too bad they had Harleys. After about an hour of shivering in the wet, we moved on. The worst part was that it was only 22 miles to Wendover. We made it with no issues.

Again, what good judgement I had left was washed away about 200 miles ago, and stranded on the side of the highway. Weather in Wendover wasn't great, but it was good. How bad could it be. Just because the storm was going to Salt Lake City didn't mean that it would be a problem? I filled up and headed out again. The Great Salt Flats have blown over many a trackter trailer due to the high winds, but that wasn't going to be a problem. It wasn't even raining. Ok, Long story short, I ended up under another over pass waiting for the rain to move on. Freezing to death, and half way to nowhere, home is only 60 miles away, I moved on. I somehow by the grace of God, made it home without incident. I was soaked to the bone, in the hottest water I could get in my bathtub, still shaking, but safe. Damn, what a ride. I can't wait to do it again.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
And could you explain to me since they were good guys why it was a shame they rode Harleys.This type of thinking mystifies me,Good folks are good folks if they are riding bicycles. If you want to have friends ,show yourself to be friendly,you may have found the one guy that will help you when you need it worst,even if he was riding a Harley,glad you made it home safe and enjoyed your self though,Denny

·
Registered
950 Posts
I agree with denny to a point. I like biclcyes to a point, they piss me off when they ride 2 abreast on a city street that has no shoulder, but does have a 8ft wide bike path right next to it.

Sounds like a fun ride though. Thats the thing about riding, they all beat working.
What kinda of mileage did you calculate later?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Sounds like you did, indeed, have a blast and met some nice folks along the way. Nothing wrong with that at all. Riding in the rain? Not a big deal, assuming you have the tires and skills to do it. Riding in snow? Not for me. I grew up in the lake-effect snow capital of the western world, and had enough trouble driving a cage in that crap, must less a bike. No. Thank. You.

Glad that you had a great trip and made it back in one popsicle-ized piece!

--FA

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
When you "survive" experiences like that they make for great campfire talk! One of my first long rides turned out to be riding in sleet and freezing rain all the way home. It was bone chilling and tiring, especially for my wife who hadn't heard from me for about 4 hours when we stopped to hug a hot cup of coffee about 25 miles from my house when I called her to let her know we were ok. It was also dark for most of that trip home. But, we came through without incident and it is parked in my memory. Glad you made it safely! I know how it feels!:beerchug:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Boy you are right, any ride when you call home and your first words, are "don't worry, I'm all right" is worth telling around the camp fire. I don't mind the rain, but this wasn't rain. I was looking for Noah and his Ark.

I'm happy to be on the road with anyone willing to get out on two wheels. I would ride with those guys or any Harley riders in a heart beat and I look forward to it. A BMW rider at work throws Kawasucky jokes my way all day long. I just remind him that he is the cheapest thing on his BMW. Now, I don't mind taking the opportunity to poke at a few Harley riders, knowing full well that I'll get it back ten fold. Bring it on. It makes me laugh. :D

I thought I'd show you guys what I was riding. On the city streets, I get 45 mpg. It bugs me that at 85-90 mph, I drop out to 35 mpg. I think my bike is running really rich and I need to tune that in. I hate to go through all the work to change my pilot jets AGAIN! Then again, maybe 63mpg is worth it. Way to go DT!!!

This was my bike in Greaegle CA in the mountains. What a great weekend. Any one in the Utah area (Vulcan or otherwise :)) let me know and we can hit the road.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts