Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I used air filters from ORielly Mr. Gasket #4354 wrestled with the excisting boots and had to cut them to go onto the air filter. No easy.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d152/dayrider/000_0031.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d152/dayrider/000_0030.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d152/dayrider/000_0029.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d152/dayrider/000_0028.jpg
The small filter for the carb vent is a lawn mower feul line filter.
I still need the filter for the crank case
I think that I saw some chrome half cover that I can use to partially cover the filter in case of rain. I will look tomorrow at Auto zone.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Lookin' good there! :smiley_th
The more I see Vulcans with an ear shave, the more the look grows on me.
Maybe one of these days.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Did you have to re-jet the carbs?

·
Registered
158 Posts
with all the changes you will probably have to at least adjust the air/fuel mixture.

As far as the crankcase I just used a breather element from the local auto parts store. Can't remember what is was for but the fillter came with a platic holder that fit perfectly in the tube.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
42 Posts
Niterider,
Sweet mod!! I have got to try this on my bike.
I have always liked the looks of a bike with an ear shave, but always worried about how the carbs would react. I just did not want to have to re-jet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just finished my air box upgrade and found a filter like yours for the crankcase breather. I also blocked the reed valves port with plugs bought with the air filters. I used the right side hose (the long one) and cut down the 90 degree end and the length allowed me to put my crankcase breather up by the frame under the tank. A few wire tie's and it is secure and dry. Do you still have your Jardines? I'm looking for some exhaust and a jet kit for the carbs. The engine runs a little lean now but it is rideable. With performance exhaust and the ear shave I'll need the jet kit. Let me know about the exhaust, [email protected]

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ran the bike with the car breathers on a 600 mile trip down south, the mileage was not good. It was doing about 40-45 miles per gallon on premium. I went to the pods and I have gone back to about 50 miles per gallon. Also with the car filters I could not get good into the high rpms. The pods, so far, are working better for me.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I ran the bike with the car breathers on a 600 mile trip down south, the mileage was not good. It was doing about 40-45 miles per gallon on premium. I went to the pods and I have gone back to about 50 miles per gallon. Also with the car filters I could not get good into the high rpms. The pods, so far, are working better for me.
that sux.... o well at least ur gettin 50mpg, i get 44

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
You were probably getting too much air. I ran with the chrome covers off of the ears once and had the same problem. Put the covers back on and all was fine. Maybe just finding the right size restriction to put in the intake will make the car ones work better.

Also, the Vulcans are designed to run on the low octane just fine and that's what's recommended in the owners manual, so ya don't need to use the expensive stuff.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I usually run regular, but right away I noticed the fuel use, so tried super.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts