Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 years ago my wife surprised me with a new helmet, she bought it because she knew I'd like the colors.

A week after I got it, I was side swiped by a car, I hit a curb, and was thrown over the bars. Landed and slid on my face, chest, knees.

My helmet took the initial impact, as I landed face first, before I even managed to get my hands under me.

I tried to get my body to fall and slide the right way, but the force of the hit, and the speed of my body pretty much just tossed me around like a rag doll.

I'll never forget the sound of the pavement slide from inside the helmet, watching the pavement up close and personal, and wondering if somebody was going to run me over from behind before I stopped sliding.

The helmet, as you can see in the pic, kept my head intact and my face attached, in fact, I had no head or face trauma at all. If not for the lid, half my face would simply be a smear. You can't see it in the pic, but the gravel cut down into the helmet shell in some spots.

(My leather jacket was worn pretty good, but not to the point of exposing any skin, and my jean, knees, legs were pretty much just shredded)

Anyway, here's the after photo of my helmet, and this post is just a "share", not a sales pitch, or podium preach. Some recent threads reminded of this pic, and I thought I'd share it.

(on a side note, sliding across the pavement at about 40mph, standard jeans will wear clean through in approx 5 ft, skin won't last that long, and a helmet should certainly last longer.)

(the other pic I threw in just for the hell of it)

Attachments

·
Registered
659 Posts
I need reminders like this now and then. I have a full face, but I also have a half I got for the really hot weather and it's so much more comfortable and alot cooler that I find myself opting for it more and more. I should wear the full face as much as I can. I admit that when it's really really hot I'm out in a sleeveless T and the half helmet.

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
I admit that when it's really really hot I'm out in a sleeveless T and the half helmet.
Thats what us people in the Airline industry calls "Bravo Delta"

Big Dummy!!!

To each their own, I hope you remain safe out there but ATGATT is the only way for me. Good luck!

Peace :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
4,766 Posts
I need reminders like this now and then. I have a full face, but I also have a half I got for the really hot weather and it's so much more comfortable and alot cooler that I find myself opting for it more and more. I should wear the full face as much as I can. I admit that when it's really really hot I'm out in a sleeveless T and the half helmet.
Have you tried mesh jacket and pants? When moving, they let in so much air I've never been uncomfortable, and I'm farther south and more humid than where you live! Not only do they resist abrasion, but they have armor or padding in the common contact points. Try it, I think you'll find it comfortable and it can help keep all your body parts together. Think I'd feel naked without them, and for sure without my full face helmet.

Thanks for the picture, Doug.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Your helmet damage is consistent with the industry studies. Notice that almost 20% of the damage is along the chin and lower jaw. Another reason to have a full helmet!

impacts.jpg -click to enlarge

Chart showing percentage of damage to post-crash helmets studied

·
Registered
96 Posts
Full face for me all the time. Your comment about the jeans being shredded though just reminds me I need a pair of draggin jeans or something... I always feel like my knees are the most exposed things when I'm riding around with my helmet, padded jacket, boots, and regular jeans...

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I hate even trying on a full face helmet, but there is no denying that they provide the most protection. Thanks for the reminder Doug.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your helmet damage is consistent with the industry studies. Notice that almost 20% of the damage is along the chin and lower jaw. Another reason to have a full helmet!

View attachment 1517 -click to enlarge

Chart showing percentage of damage to post-crash helmets studied
Thanks for that pic Chris, I used to have that one saved but lost it and spent sometime yesterday searching for it.

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
I hate even trying on a full face helmet, but there is no denying that they provide the most protection. Thanks for the reminder Doug.
That's what I thought too, OlHoss, until Ben Roethlisberger took a header in Pittsburgh when someone turned in front of his crotch rocket. I went full-face after that, and it took me about two days to get fully used to it. Now, I can't imagine taking off without it! In the summer I open the vents and flip the visor and I'm just fine!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Lower body protection

Some folks might find something like these one way to go. There's padding on the thighs, hips, and tail bone along with the shins and knees.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/bohn-body-armor/

Draggin jeans shouldn't tear but I don't think they'd do much insofar as mitigating an actual impact. I wear a similar body armor under my Draggins and you can't even tell I have them on.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I wear a Shoei full-face helmet. It has enough venting in it that I don't get overly hot, even here in Texas.

I *do* need to redouble my efforts to get some riding pants, though. As Doug (and others) have said, standard jeans (what I normally ride in) won't protect skin for very long once you start sliding on pavement. Besides, a good pair of mesh riding pants will actually be cooler to ride in during the Texas heat.

--FA

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
Had I been wearing my riding jeans on my way home from work on 3/12, I probably wouldn't have this big shredded spot on my left knee. My Eddie Bauer Khakis were no match for the pavement, even at less than 10 MPH. My riding jeans (which were in my BACKPACK ON MY BACK) have (kevlar/aramid/something) reinforced knee panels to "resist" abrasion. FF helmet has never been a question for me.

·
D2u
175 Posts
I have both FF,and half helm.I find myself wearing the half helm about 95 % of the time just for the comfort,and I like to hear what's going on around me. The FF helm will protect your face better,but I also knew of someone that died in a bike crash because of his FF helm .Neck injury that they said would not have happend with a half helm.Somethig about the way his chin part of the helm cought the ground. The choice is yours. All in all I would agree that the ff offers more all around protection,but I like my half helm.The rock the gear site says and I agree with them the use of a DOT helmet (not just a ff helm) is part of ATGATT. To each his own.Ride safe and watch out for the cagers,and all the other crap that is out to get us!:rockon:

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Had I been wearing my riding jeans on my way home from work on 3/12, I probably wouldn't have this big shredded spot on my left knee. My Eddie Bauer Khakis were no match for the pavement, even at less than 10 MPH. My riding jeans (which were in my BACKPACK ON MY BACK) have (kevlar/aramid/something) reinforced knee panels to "resist" abrasion. FF helmet has never been a question for me.
My regular Levi jeans didn't hold up at all in my crash either; standard jeans will shred/tear/rip in 5-10 feet of a pavement slide at 40mph. (or maybe it's 50mph, but you get the idea)

You were wearing Khakis and had riding jeans in your backpack? I'm not gonna ask why, but I will say that's alot like tempting the wrath of the whatever from high atop the thing....

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts
It is still better than those "skull cap" helmets the Harley riders seem to like so well.

And, still helps against bugs at 80mph. :-D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts