Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start with, I have a mustang seat which came with the bike when I got it. I'm 6' 2" and weigh about 170 pounds. It seems most seats that I sit in get sore fairly quickly. So here goes, my motorcycle seat becomes really uncomfotable in about one hour. Today I rode about 2.5 hours to get to a town, got off for about 15 minutes and the soreness went away, then 15 minutes later hopped back on the bike and rode 2.5 hours back. My butt was quiet sore.

I'm looking for suggestions from people who have purchased "seat pads." I don't want to tear apart my mustang seat, so that's out of the question. Otherwise, what can I do to relive the soreness when riding my motorcycle?

Ben

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
I have the "New Size" from www.derbycycles.com which is the Airhawk Seat Medium Cruiser. I would not have been able to come back from B9 without it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's pretty expensive. Anyone use anything else? I might get that one day, but right now, I'm hoping to try some less expensive covers.

Ben

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am not so sure its the seat that is the issue I think its the possition your stuck in wile sitting on the seat, the only downside of the VN750 I can see is there is no way to adjust your seating possisiton wile going down the road. floorboards would help, diff handlbars do help. Good luck

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I've been thinking about making some floorboards like those found at:
http://metriccustomcreations.com/Main.html

(I hope that I can more or less copy the design.)

I'm also planning on putting my engine guard back onto the bike, and adding some pegs to that. Thats actually my first step, since I can do that for very little.

Boy, they sure didn't make the most comfortable long distance touring bike did they?

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I've heard sheepskin covers are supposed to make for a more comfortable ride.
I must have a hard butt or something. I do get slightly uncomfortable while riding long distances, but nothing that would stop me from continueing on.
Maybe the Honda XR I had toughened me up a little ?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I continued, but it wasn't comfortable. However, I think the ride had something to do with it. So intent on riding through the curves, I missed a road that I wanted to turn off on. So I guess, my mind wasn't on my butt for some of the ride either!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Re: Seat

I have a 2002 VN750 with a Corbin seat and backrest. I really enjoy the backrest on long rides. The only gripe I have is that the seat still feels hard to me. Has anybody done or heard of putting any type of replacement memory foam or a gel type? I've looked at getting a Air Hawk, but would like to pursue other avenues first. Please feel free to email me directly.
[email protected]
Thanks for reading.:carryflag

·
Registered
120 Posts
I am an Air Hawk user myself and it is well worth the bucks for the comfort it provides. I also had to get a second one for my wife.

·
Registered
78 Posts
+1 on the Airhawk.
Just did a 1400 mile ride. Between the Airhawk pad and the Protac backrest, my back/butt didn't suffer.

Dominic

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
So when you attach it, it raises the seat by how much?

·
Registered
277 Posts
i have a corbin seat. its harder than my ex-wife's heart. was at walmart the other day and saw a car seat cushion. its like a waffle design gel material with a cover that is rubber on the bottom and a nylon mesh top. cost less than $19. went on a 120 mile bike ride this sunday and it was like sitting on a cloud and it was 90 degrees but didn't get a wet seat because of the mesh and the waffle design. best $19 i spent. going to cut the cushion to fit the seat and re sew the cover. raises the seat height up about a little over a half inch.

ride safe, john

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
My best friend, a wing rider, who's about 6'1" and 180 lbs, bought a sheep skin cover, I call it a rug cause it just sits on top of his seat. He loves it. I've been thinking about an airhawk myself but might try the walmart waffle gell thingy first.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Wall said:
I am an Air Hawk user myself and it is well worth the bucks for the comfort it provides. I also had to get a second one for my wife.
+1^

Best $$$ I've spent!!!

I have a Mustang seat but still was getting a sore butt. I just did a 1700 mile trip over several days and not once did I feel like I had to stop thanks to the Airhawk cushion!

http://www.cyclesaddles.com/home/Accessories/Airhawk.htm

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
I hear great things about the airhawk, but being a cheapy, I'll try the waffle thing too. Is that in the auto section, or motorcycle sub-section? (I try not to tempt myself, so I need to know an exact location inside walmart. I have to send people to home depot less I come home with a car full of stuff)

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Same here..... I looked in the auto dept, sporting goods and bicicles accessories...
Only found bicicle gel pads!... But no waffle type cushion!! :(

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Sorry, but I can't let this go by without saying......
I think for the waffle like cushions,
you have to look in the isle next to the maple syrup !!
LOL

OK, on with what you were doing before I interupted you all.....:beerchug:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts