Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall, i know i aint posted in a while, mainly due to not riding and back problems. That aside i undertook on a massive project w/ a friend of mine. To repaint/facelift the 750 into a one of a kind brat/bobber.
Heres what we've done thus far. I hope to put up pics from the rebuild to help out.
Took the '95 750 down to the frame to have it powder coated a lime green.
Shaved the tail off (sorry honey, its a single seat now).
Chopped seat to solo.
Cut the front/rear fenders down to give it an aggressive look.
Flat blacked the fenders and motor.
Took center instrument cluster out and remounted just the speedo.
I drilled the handlebar holder and put the instrument lights thru there, changing the bulbs to the appropriate colors. (had to use a clear bulb for N and painted it green with wifes nail polish cuz they dont sell green).
Changed handlebars to more black drag bars w 1' risers added.
Chrome flame mirrors.
Coastered and ear shaved.
Rejetted carbs.
Reposition the rectifer from under battery box to side.
Flat blacked the swing arm from the standard gloss.

Still to do -
Motor install.
Rear spline lube (since its out the bike)
Talking about installing a purple under tank lighting to make the green paint job 'pop'.
Kreem tank (its rusted and was causing performance issues)
Flat black the tank.
Wrap the exhaust (couldnt get a definitive decision on ditching the goats belly so we opted to keep it)

We've renamed the bike "Frankenbike". Due to the black and green paint scheme.

I'll recover the single seat in black vinyl, but prolly put a green design/pattern in there to help with the overall look.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Heres a pic from my gallery/garage

http://www.vn750.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=738&pictureid=3850

Also I just wanted to tell everyone on here that this site is a fountain of knowledge and learning experience.
I couldn't have done half of this without the combined and collected information here.
If there was a question, someone was willing to answer it.
A big thanks to everyone !!! :beerchug:

Now if i can get an answer on how to keep my buddies from stealing it for a ride all the time. LOL.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Heres a pic from my gallery/garage

http://www.vn750.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=738&pictureid=3850

Also I just wanted to tell everyone on here that this site is a fountain of knowledge and learning experience.
I couldn't have done half of this without the combined and collected information here.
If there was a question, someone was willing to answer it.
A big thanks to everyone !!! :beerchug:

Now if i can get an answer on how to keep my buddies from stealing it for a ride all the time. LOL.
nice color combo

·
Registered
218 Posts
Nice job. Take some more pics when you get a chance. What was your technique for painting the chrome exhaust?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx for encouragement. The 'techique' is header paint from a can. LOL. Sure if you bang it with your foot, it'll rub off. I scuffed all the chrome parts with a med. sandpaper before acetoning it off and then promptly painting.

Wheels and forks... nothing at the moment because the vulcan rides/handles sooo well.
I might get in and paint them black / green too.
The color combo wasnt my idea... it was my buddys. He just wanted to do it.. so i agreed and tore the bike down... he had a customer of his powder coat it.

I'll get more pics soon as i can.!!

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,242 Posts
looking sweet.:motorcycl

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yea, thats all i was thinking for wheels and forks, new colors.like black rims with green highlight or vice versa.

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
Try dropping your pants and sitting your bare butt on the seat in front of them ....... worked for me .... but then I have wimpy friends. LOL

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Just a note for anyone wanting to paint over chrome...get some Muriatic acid from the hardware store (its just dilute Hydrochloric)...."paint" it onto the chrome, wait overnight, wash with water, powder with baking soda, and THEN take some sandpaper to it....then use a self etching primer first, then paint...

Lookin good, man !...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey thanks for the tip wolfie.. i was JUST researching how to paint over or ie strip chrome easy n cheap... that sounds like both !!
:D

Yeah.. might get some paint out and black the rims with a green stripe in there... i'll have to mull it over.

Ha ha Dragon..all my buddys aint wimps..theyd just knock me off it and
lol as they rode away.... they LOVE this bike.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,242 Posts
Hey thanks for the tip wolfie.. i was JUST researching how to paint over or ie strip chrome easy n cheap... that sounds like both !!
:D

Yeah.. might get some paint out and black the rims with a green stripe in there... i'll have to mull it over.

Ha ha Dragon..all my buddys aint wimps..theyd just knock me off it and
lol as they rode away.... they LOVE this bike.
make it a jockey shift and they won't wanna ride it.lol

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
...they aint too friendly in stop and go traffic... ;) ...lol...I put one on my 74cu in, and removed it shortly after...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts