Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just go a 1985 vulcan 700 from my friend. got a sweet deal for it (traded my ipod touch) his uncle said it ran fine then let it sit over the winter. he tried to start it up when summer came around and it wouldn't do anything. i put a new battery in it and it now turns on but wont try to turn over. please help me out! what do i need to check and or do. thank you

·
Registered
72 Posts
check handle bar switck, make sure its in the run position.
Oh man!! Happens though!! :p

Sold a 1997 Transam to a young kid a few years ago.
He calls me the next day and says "I thought you told me this car runs good and you didn't have any problems"??
I said I didn't......he said it wouldn't start now.........just on a whim I asked him if he checked the gas......there was silence for a few moments.........he was OUT OF GAS!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Also, make sure the key is in the correct posistion. paly with the posistion a little bit, you may have a touchy switch.

·
Rogue Warrior
130 Posts
You can try wiggling the wires under the ignition to see if the "hockey puck" under the ignition is bad.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Prior to pushing the start switch try moving the gas from the on position to the prime position for about 10 seconds or so and return it to the on position. Just an idea.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
kickstand switch? My bike turns on with the kickstand down... is it not supposed to? Mine's an 85 VN700 as well :)

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
kickstand switch? My bike turns on with the kickstand down... is it not supposed to? Mine's an 85 VN700 as well :)
It will if the bike is in Neutral, but shouldn't with it in gear and the clutch engaged. It's a safety feature that some folks disable.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
If all the safety switches are working properly the following statements are true.

If you put a running bike in gear with the sidestand down, it will kill the ignition.

You can start the bike with the sidestand down, the tranny in neutral and the clutch in or out.

You can start the bike with the sidestand up, clutch pulled in and the tranny in gear. Put the sidestand down and the engine will die.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Mine is a mess with the electric system... which is why I bought another wiring harness for it. I can't turn it on with the clutch in, doesn't matter if it's in gear or in neutral or the sidestand is down or up.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Mine is a mess with the electric system... which is why I bought another wiring harness for it. I can't turn it on with the clutch in, doesn't matter if it's in gear or in neutral or the sidestand is down or up.
Do you mean the starter will not operate with the clutch pulled in, but does operate if it is out?

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
i just go a 1985 vulcan 700 from my friend. got a sweet deal for it (traded my ipod touch) his uncle said it ran fine then let it sit over the winter. he tried to start it up when summer came around and it wouldn't do anything. i put a new battery in it and it now turns on but wont try to turn over. please help me out! what do i need to check and or do. thank you
I was going to suggest a doggie bisquit, but I see you got it figured out.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
What about the switch at the clutch lever... I met a trailer truck one time on "Clyde" and something brown and about the size of a tennis ball flew from his rear duals and struck the left side of the bars and my left arm, everything seemed fine till I stopped, and it would not turn over either, a push by my ridin buddies and a pop of the clutch and we were on our way home... It turned out that the clutch switch got messed up, or a wire can't remember which, was an easy fix though, best I remember...
Seems like I did something temporarily before getting a small part... Sorry I can't tell you better but its the CRS stuff again...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Is "prime position" the same as "reserve"?
No. Prime was only offered on the first few models. The carbs are vacuum activated, and Prime allows fuel to flow to the carbs with the engine off. Those petcocks had Prime, Reserve and On I believe. The newer models substituted Off for Prime.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
No. Prime was only offered on the first few models. The carbs are vacuum activated, and Prime allows fuel to flow to the carbs with the engine off. Those petcocks had Prime, Reserve and On I believe. The newer models substituted Off for Prime.
no there was off, prime and run... prime was not a reserve though.. it just offered free flow of fuel with out vacuum being applied to the petcock to fill the carbs faster after the bike ran out of gas.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts