Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello- Last fall I hooked up the the "Battery Companion" (made by Schumacher) to my bike. All winter I saw the green light indicating my battery was fully charged. Last week, I go to start her up, and... any guesses?
Yep, battery dead, dead, DEAD! Seems that the ol' Battery Companion is defective, and drained my new MF to nothing. I put the voltmeter to the charger and it registered at 2 - 3 volts, where the replacement float charger registers at 13 -13.5 volts.
Speaking of the replacement charger, after 2 days of float charging, the indicator for "Still Charging" is on, where by now I'd expect it to say "Fully Charged". Is my MF battery hosed? I was able to crank her over, but that was with my regular battery charger still attached...

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
Hello- Is my MF battery hosed? ...

Quite possibly. MF batteries can hold a charge a long time (and this is why I only use a battery charger every 5 weeks if needed) AND if they lose their charge , alot of times they never come back to life.

You might want to write to the company that made the charger and tell them your problem with it...who knows, maybe they will compensate you for a new battery.......

KM

·
Registered
103 Posts
Quite possibly. MF batteries can hold a charge a long time (and this is why I only use a battery charger every 5 weeks if needed) AND if they lose their charge , alot of times they never come back to life.
KM
I bought my bike used with a Battery Tender already attached. I put a MF gel cell in when I first got it. It sat for 3 months before I got back on it without charging. The bike was very hard to start after sitting, but the battery held up until it did start. I don't know if I will ever need to plug the Battery Tender in for this battery.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Battery Tender is the way to go, it seems that mine gets properly charged with the thing.

Bought a battery charger from a Big Box chain and had to return as it was defective. Thank the Lord that a garage sale yielded an old charger for my car. It seems that price points are becoming more important than quality for some brands. About the only thing you can do is return the thing and go upscale on an item till you find one that works.

Next on the list is a MF battery that works and at a decent price. Hmmmm

Stone

1 - 5 of 5 Posts