Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As an commercial and airline pilot, I could not have anything on my body broken. So I didn't start ridding till age 63 (2003). I started with a Honda Rebel 250 and motorcycle school for the first 5000 miles. Then a Honda Silver Wing 500 cc. Too tall for me sold it and bought my FIRST Kow VN 750, Rode it for 68,000, sold it for SECOND VF 750. Rode it 6000 miles out West, and twice to the Smokies, from Tallahassee Fl.(native of Sarasota Fl) now my home last 35 years, Put another bunch of miles on it. The THIRD VN 750 I rode to a VN770/750 meet in western Ky.at the Lakes. Not sure of the year, but I have an unused patch from this event 'The Gathering' if anyone wants it. Sold that bike to a new rider and he wrecked it. Last 89,000 have been on a 4 cyl Magna VF750 C Twice to the Smokies and ran 'Deals Gap' both ways, a couple of times. I was a passenger in a cab wreck in Maine, moving passengers for my airline. In late 70's had surgery on it, but now its too shot to ride. So I am selling the Magna. Makes me cry. But then when I added up the miles including the 200 a week I rode with ride groups (Southern Cruisers Chapter 91 and Tallahassee Chapter of the 'Retreads") I have ridden some 250 thousand miles since 2003. No wonder my butt hurts. In fact I am sitting here on a 'Air Hawk' cushion that my girlfriend gave my for my 6000 mile ride out West, typing up this missive. Hope it makes any sense as I am now turning 82. I have tank bags, and all kinds of ridding stuff, plus two helmets, and three armored jackets I will part with.. "keep the shinny side up" Joseph

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just read some old posts on the Kentucky Lakes Gatherings. My logbook says I was there 8/25/ 04. Not sure if that was the FIRST or SECOND one. I took 3 days to get there from Tallahassee. Must have had some things to see. 720 miles.
I remember that someone had made a tool to make valve adjustment a one or two handed affair, instead of needing THREE HANDS TO DO THE JOB. It was a simple thing, cut from a tin can. My trip going home was Golden Pond to the head of the Nachos Trace. Then down the Trace to Tupelo Miss,(RON), then on to Thomasville AL. and home. 784 miles TT trip 1704.
I have an unused patch for that 'Gathering' if anyone wants it. [email protected]

·
Supporting vendor
65 Posts

·
Registered
VN 750 1994 RED/BLACK/SILVER
71 Posts
As an commercial and airline pilot, I could not have anything on my body broken. So I didn't start ridding till age 63 (2003). I started with a Honda Rebel 250 and motorcycle school for the first 5000 miles. Then a Honda Silver Wing 500 cc. Too tall for me sold it and bought my FIRST Kow VN 750, Rode it for 68,000, sold it for SECOND VF 750. Rode it 6000 miles out West, and twice to the Smokies, from Tallahassee Fl.(native of Sarasota Fl) now my home last 35 years, Put another bunch of miles on it. The THIRD VN 750 I rode to a VN770/750 meet in western Ky.at the Lakes. Not sure of the year, but I have an unused patch from this event 'The Gathering' if anyone wants it. Sold that bike to a new rider and he wrecked it. Last 89,000 have been on a 4 cyl Magna VF750 C Twice to the Smokies and ran 'Deals Gap' both ways, a couple of times. I was a passenger in a cab wreck in Maine, moving passengers for my airline. In late 70's had surgery on it, but now its too shot to ride. So I am selling the Magna. Makes me cry. But then when I added up the miles including the 200 a week I rode with ride groups (Southern Cruisers Chapter 91 and Tallahassee Chapter of the 'Retreads") I have ridden some 250 thousand miles since 2003. No wonder my butt hurts. In fact I am sitting here on a 'Air Hawk' cushion that my girlfriend gave my for my 6000 mile ride out West, typing up this missive. Hope it makes any sense as I am now turning 82. I have tank bags, and all kinds of ridding stuff, plus two helmets, and three armored jackets I will part with.. "keep the shinny side up" Joseph

Dreading the day I have to stop riding, having said that, once saw a guy in his 90s sprint a Vincent 1000 over quarter of a mile @ Brighton Sprint, England some years ago. He was lifted on and off it, but when he got on the bike his body changed into that of a man who knew what to do, muscle memory? Having been a airline pilot I am glad U found another way to spatially express yourself with something representing directional motion and fun!

Can't U ride pillion with anyone?
Take care.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dreading the day I have to stop riding, having said that, once saw a guy in his 90s sprint a Vincent 1000 over quarter of a mile @ Brighton Sprint, England some years ago. He was lifted on and off it, but when he got on the bike his body changed into that of a man who knew what to do, muscle memory? Having been a airline pilot I am glad U found another way to spatially express yourself with something representing directional motion and fun!

Can't U ride pillion with anyone?
Take care.
Thanks Johnny
I am not that broken, but its my idea that my legs are too weak to be safe. I am sure I could ride it around the block, but not sure I'd have the smarts to get off and try more. Not interested in a 3 or 4 wheel, or riding on the back of someone else. I have 250,000 miles to remember. Time to call it !!

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Thanks Johnny
I am not that broken, but its my idea that my legs are too weak to be safe. I am sure I could ride it around the block, but not sure I'd have the smarts to get off and try more. Not interested in a 3 or 4 wheel, or riding on the back of someone else. I have 250,000 miles to remember. Time to call it !!
Still undecided on my riding status, but I can see where you're coming from.

Had back surgery last year and immediately began shopping for bike tires. Well the most I've ridden is the 20 ft back into the garage, and that didn't happen until August this year.

I've been looking into heel/toe and jockey shifters, since it's still too painful to use my left foot to lift up. Fabricating a heel shift addition seems to make the most sense, but I'm not sure how that would work with the VN750 pegs.

Almost got a Magna before I found the Vulcan.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts