Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Here are a few pics so far of the relocation brackets. I forgot to take some of them before I welded the loop piece and triangle support piece in.

Photos are courtesy of Lance328, as the parts are at his place at the moment. He's helping me with everything and getting all the pieces mocked up. The weather here has been cold and wet so I haven't been able get my bike over there.

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Msh1156 - Laser beams were an optional tool for this project. However, had I used them they would probably have sped up the process a little bit. :D

Kimmerling - You're very welcome. Feel free to post pics when you've got them all put together.

VN750_DawgsFan & Lance328 - Sharp looking brackets so far guys! Don't bother chroming, most of the supports are behind the bags. Gloss back to match your bike's frame should do nicely.

For the record, the way I mounted my set of bags on the supports, the very bottom of Kawasaki F&S support bars do hang about 1/2" lower than the bottoms of the bags. Though you'd hardly notice that when you look at them when they are on the bike.

Be sure to measure at least twice before you start drilling (lasers would help there too Msh1156). -Sloppy

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Msh1156 - Laser beams were an optional tool for this project. However, had I used them they would probably have sped up the process a little bit. :D

Kimmerling - You're very welcome. Feel free to post pics when you've got them all put together.

VN750_DawgsFan & Lance328 - Sharp looking brackets so far guys! Don't bother chroming, most of the supports are behind the bags. Gloss back to match your bike's frame should do nicely.

For the record, the way I mounted my set of bags on the supports, the very bottom of Kawasaki F&S support bars do hang about 1/2" lower than the bottoms of the bags. Though you'd hardly notice that when you look at them when they are on the bike.

Be sure to measure at least twice before you start drilling (lasers would help there too Msh1156). -Sloppy
Yeah that's the plan to paint the brackets and bag supports black to match the fenders and frame. Besides, chroming can get rather pricey, and takes time to get them back.

We are making the bag supports to sit up a little higher so they are hidden behind the bags.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Hey Sloppy,
I was just wondering if you ever considered the Mutazu LN bags with the taillights? I have the GA bags coming in the mail..but was wondering about having the extra lighting. I wasn't sure if it would even fit on the f/s supports i have. Thanks.

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Hi Kimmerling,

Yes, I thought about several different bags including the LN bags. Personally, I'm not a big fan of side loaders. I don't like the thought of having to shove my gear in sideways and hope when the left bag is opened that its contents won't all fall out. But that's just my personal preference. Also in my opinion, I doubt that the LEDs on the LN bags are as clear and bright as I'd want them to be. The GA bags have a cleaner look (like a blank slate if you will), that way you can put any lights or LEDs on them anywhere you like. I put some red reflector strips on the sides of mine to break up the black blankness of them, and even though I've seen lots of cool LEDs that could be mounted on them to increase visibility none of them would actually look good on the bike IMO. So I'm sticking with nothing extra on the rear of the bags for now. If anything I might shorten the rear turn signal stems to clean up the overall look a little more.

You can mount the LN bags any way you like, you just need to get creative with the hardware.

Niterider did a nice job of mounting his LN bags in this thread: http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9818 Looks like he used the Mutazu brackets.

Mletschin has some more insight on LN bags in this thread: http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7491 and pictures of them on his bike here: http://picasaweb.google.com/MLetschin/Vulcan750# Looks like he used support brackets and mounted them inside the bags to get the bags closer to the bike. The holes he made probably increase the chances of water getting in on the tire side.

I'm looking at the Mutazu.com site now, the HL bags look pretty cool. They have a picture of a half helmet fitting nicely into one. They may be a bit large for the VN750 though and the price is currently $270, (the GA bags were $115 when I bought them). It says you can buy those optional tear drop rear red LEDs for $38. I suppose you could just get those and mount them on the GAs if you like. http://www.mutazu.com/products.php?s=prod.php&product_id=278&img=IMG_1000.JPG At 7" tall, they will take up nearly all of the height at the rear of the GA bags below the lid.

Looks like they have more new bags too. The MU bags look like the LNs but are 2" wider, 2 1/2" taller and 5" longer.

-Sloppy

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Thanks so much Sloppyburpfest! I am sooo giving you reputation points! (not that you need them.)

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Here are some more pics from what Lance has done for the brackets and bag supports.

We should be mounting everything next weekend so I'll post more pics once everything is finished and mounted on my bike. :smiley_th

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I bet they'll be yellow.

-Sloppy

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
I bet they'll be yellow.

-Sloppy
Nope! Black, just diong the mock up on mine. :smiley_th
Yeah Lance has just been mocking them up on his while he has been working on them. Mine is stock '98 colors, black fender and Candy wine red on black tank. And since I'm not gonna spend the cash to chrome them, I decided to paint them black to match the rear fender.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Alright, I finally got my bags on! :D The custom relocation brackets and bag supports Lance and I made, mostly Lance lol, worked out perfect. LANCE IS THE MAN! lol :notworthy.

I'll get some pics posted tomorrow or Tuesday because it's raining and just a really crappy day here in the Atlanta area today. :smiley_th

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
As promised, here are the pics on the bags mounted on the bike and pic of the bag supports and relocation brackets.

Side view of left bag
Top view of left bag support bracket
Inside mounting of support bracket
Rear view of bags
Rear view of bags open
Inside mounting of right bag

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Top view of right side bag support
Right side turn signal relocation bracket
Left side turn signal relocation bracket
Relocation brackets rear view

I think they turned out great and couldn't look better. Lance did an awesome job a usual. :smiley_th :D

·
Late to the party
321 Posts
Those do look great. Yeah, Lance is to the VN750 as Scotty is to the Enterprise. Not to mention a lot of other folks around here too. The weather was looking so promising here last week I ordered my GAs to replace my soft bags last week. Now, back into the deep freeze again with below 0 temps. :(

I will be using sloppyburps method once it gets to March or so.... sigh.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Finally!! After working on other bikes and fabricating parts for others I was able to make my hard bag brackets and supports. Since artemis_f0wl was in the same situation as me, having relocated the turn signals it required a different bracket than Kaws F&S type.

He had purchased the the F&S bag mounts from here but had no rear bracket to mount to, so I made him the same brackets as mine. In the first pic the polished aluminum looks wierd but it's the reflection of the stippled ceiling. When the weather gets better I will take some pics outside, I will be able to show the final pics of the lowers with the polished brackets.

I will probably paint the bags to match he bike or go with matte black to go with the rest of the black. For now they will stay Gloss black untill I decide, the three stage yellow pearl will set me back $200.00 for materials. Matte black is sounding better and better the more I say $200.00 in materials.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
yes i saw the pics...the also said the bags were made of ABS plastic....wich if that is the case...painting them will be harder than if they had paint on em to begin with.
Painting them will be a breeze since they come painted, just sand and repaint. I will tell you how it goes when I repaint mine. :smiley_th

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
That looks really nice! Black and yellow is not a bad looking color combination IMO.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
thanks Lance... I am hoping to start my bag project in the next day or two... i have 30 days to tear my bike down, mod it, and put it all back together.... Finally after 12 months of being gone, I am allowed to take some much needed vacation time.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts