Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going through the stator test procedure (Deka battery less than two years old, not enough juice to crank) and wondering if my meter is bad.

Getting ready to measure resistance, black lead in COM, red lead in V/ohms/milliamps, selector set to 200 ohms range. With the leads not touching anything, the reading is very high. When I touch the leads together, sometimes there is no change (still high), at others the scale will read from 20 to 53. I thought there should be little to no resistance between the leads when touched together. Is my meter bad?

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Is the battery in the meter good? Ideally, should read zero when leads shorted to each other, but in all but very high end meters, you will read the lead resistance when shorted. It should still be a very small number, less than an ohm.

One of the leads may be bad causing the fluctuation. Are the probe ends clean metal without any corrosion? Again, all but high end meters use pretty crappy leads to begin with.

Check the battery, then use a good, short, solid core wire and short directly across the meters COM and V/ohms/milliamps terminals to rule out lead wire problems.

Jon

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was the lead wires. Substituted with another set of leads and got normal readings. Now if I hadn't sent my assistant (wife) off for the afternoon, I could measure voltage with the engine running!

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
It was the lead wires. Substituted with another set of leads and got normal readings. Now if I hadn't sent my assistant (wife) off for the afternoon, I could measure voltage with the engine running!
Are you going to have her hold the spark plug wires??

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that might be entertaining for the short term, but then there would be the aftermath to deal with!

No, I was going to have her rev the bike up to 3,500 - 4,000 rpm while I measured stator output.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts