Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I officially have my motorcycle license as of 10 minutes ago. Completed the MSF course this weekend and just got back from the courthouse to get my license.

There were riders with 30 years experience and riders (like me) with 0 experience, and the class was helpful for everyone. I highly recommend taking the course if you haven't before. Well worth 100 bucks. I may even take it again whenever I convince my cousin to get a bike.

If anyone has any questions about the MSF course in general let me know while it's fresh in my memory...

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Well I officially have my motorcycle license as of 10 minutes ago. Completed the MSF course this weekend and just got back from the courthouse to get my license.

There were riders with 30 years experience and riders (like me) with 0 experience, and the class was helpful for everyone. I highly recommend taking the course if you haven't before. Well worth 100 bucks. I may even take it again whenever I convince my cousin to get a bike.

If anyone has any questions about the MSF course in general let me know while it's fresh in my memory...
I guess you are ready to ride a little when I come down that way now,huh? I'll give you a heads up when I head that way. :motorcycl

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, it's only 100 bucks in KY for some reason. One guy was there from Ohio, and he had to pay 150 I think.

Denny - I'll be ready (hopefully...). Going to start puttin' around the block this week. Definitely going to take my time and build up my confidence/skills before I head out too quick.

·
Registered
89 Posts
They also offer an advanced course, just a one-day course and you use your own bike. All driving, no classroom time.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Hey David, I took lessons before riding. I paid 350 dollars for three months at a place called Coopers Cycle Ranch (as many times as I wanted to go) during the week after work). I was one of those guys who was there in the rain with a slicker on. I bought my VN750 without having a licence or any experience at all riding. In addition, each Sunday for three months there was a class where they talked about and demonstrated safety, equipment, and etc. When you were done all of your classes on the schools paved course they gave you a bike to take the test. Once you passed the test you had to complete the road portion of the training.

David, I cannot stress enough the importance of taking lessons. I would love to go back and get a refresher. There's so many things they tell you you'll never forget. There was a guy in one of my classes who stated he wanted to take lessons to get a refresher. Shortly after we were on the course and he was dragging his feet on the ground after the instructor told us to keep our feet up as long as possible. He said that's the way he does it...So, he didn't change. He had plenty of bad habits.

A buddy of mine took his test last year, never practiced but passed the test. He bought a bike and has been going to a parking lot to practice. I asked him what he was practicing and he said driving around. Yikes!

I remember during lessons they made you drive a motorcycle at an ungodly slow speed. Turning properly at slow speeds was also very hard. Picture those cops on their big bikes making crazy tight turns on a very small course while riding their cruisers. There's a technique for this and it may get you out of a very tuf situation if your about to be rear ended or need to get out of the way under control. Sorry, I believe you really need to be that good. I'm not, that's why I need to get more of those lessons.

Brother, good luck with your new bike. It's an amazing high while your senses are being bombarded as you ride. I'm happiest when I'm on my bike.

·
Registered
459 Posts
$240 here in California. My class happened to be taught by women and there were several women in the class. Sadly 2 didn't make it (1 had tried multiple times). Another woman in the class was kind of given a "pass".
They were telling the women to come back and take the scooter class instead. Because the scooters are 250cc they qualify as motorcycles in California but you don't have to shift. Shifting was a big issue for a couple of them. Personally I just wanted to go faster.

-Robert

·
'03 VN750 "Rosie"
227 Posts
I'm signed up for the Riders Edge experienced rider course this Friday. Looking forward to it, as I never had a beginner course. Just taught myself when I was 18. Then read David Hough and Lee Parks about a year ago.

·
Registered
936 Posts
...Going to start puttin' around the block this week. Definitely going to take my time and build up my confidence/skills before I head out too quick.
Congratulations David.

I spent a lot of time riding around in empty parking lots to practice the tight turns (among other things).

Take your time and be smart about it - the comfort comes along. Don't get too courageous before you're ready.

Have fun

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
It's free in PA. Congrats brother! Another good thing about it is if you go on vacation and fly somewhere, you can rent a motorcycle and tour the area that way. That's what Julie and I are going to do when we vacation in Cocomo. Of course we could always ride there but we like to get there fast then take it slow...

·
Super Moderator
2,568 Posts
I remember during lessons they made you drive a motorcycle at an ungodly slow speed. Turning properly at slow speeds was also very hard. Picture those cops on their big bikes making crazy tight turns on a very small course while riding their cruisers. There's a technique for this and it may get you out of a very tuf situation if your about to be rear ended or need to get out of the way under control. Sorry, I believe you really need to be that good. I'm not, that's why I need to get more of those lessons.

The Local sheriff's on bikes here in the county I live in use the same instructor for the their training as I had. And they have to go thru a course 2 times a year to maintain proficency.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's a good idea (renting a bike on vacation). Never thought of that.

And yeah, we had to do the ungodly-slow stuff too. We never got out of 2nd gear both days. It was a lot of 1st gear U turns, swerves, and start/stops.

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
That's a good idea (renting a bike on vacation). Never thought of that.
Yeah, me and the girlfriend plan on riding from Napa Valley down Cali's coast to San Diego but to ride all the way there, then do that would consume too many vacation days. So yeah, fly there then rent one. I did that in Vegas and ended up crossing Hoover Dam and found myself at the Grand Canyon, it was awesome...

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yeah, me and the girlfriend plan on riding from Napa Valley down Cali's coast to San Diego but to ride all the way there, then do that would consume too many vacation days. So yeah, fly there then rent one. I did that in Vegas and ended up crossing Hoover Dam and found myself at the Grand Canyon, it was awesome...
I get emails from a network called "Eagle Rider" of places that rent bikes. Most seem to be Harley dealerships but have other bikes. .They offer specials if you watch for them.
http://www.eaglerider.com/

-Robert

·
87 VN750 Lookin Good
126 Posts
Safety

I had not ridden in over 25 years and to get my endorsement in Oregon I took the intermediate course and It was one day on 250cc bikes, all types, rebels, motos ect. and it cost $150.00. after the course they gave me a certificate and the D.M.V. here did not road test me, just gave me the endorsement. It was really helpful and kind of fun, but I did well compared to a guy that dumped his bike, twice(did not pass, told to take a beginners course). The only woman rider scored the highest score in the class.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I went a little different route from a lot of folks I guess. I took the MSF course first, got my endorsement, then bought a bike after. My logic was I wanted to make sure I really wanted a motorcycle as badly as I thought I did and $200 for a class was a lot cheaper than a motorcycle. Well...a little over 9000 miles in 11 months of having the bike...yeah I guess I really wanted one. :motorcycl

As far as riding around the neighborhood and in parking lots and lessons...all good things. I still practice slamming on the brakes and skidding so I know what it feels like if I need to do it. But you will be surprised how quickly you feel comfortable taking the bike out for a longer ride. But always remember what they taught you in the class and practice it even in your normal everyday riding until it is so ingrained you couldn't do anything else.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just signed up for my MSF Basic Rider Course yesterday.....$195 for 2 1/2 days. Already started my homework book. Scary what you forget after not riding for 26 years. Of course my 'training' back then was a dirt bike ride in the dealers back lot for 30 minutes to get used to the shifting. I never even tried to get a license. I hope to be a much better and more informed rider this time.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
MSF is awesome, I took the basic, the advanced then a ride like a pro course. I want to do the MSF 2 up course, need to find somebody to commit, a bag of sand wont cut it.

The training is awesome, the ride like a pro blew my mind, scraping floorboards at full lock < 5 mph is AWESOME.

good job on your course completing

1 - 20 of 31 Posts