Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At some point I am thinking of moving up to a vtx1300 or a 1500 vulcan. I just backed out of a deal i was going to do on a vtx1300. It was the spoke version and i was going to have to do work to it..like put new bags, new windshield, and take the cheap looking speakers off. I pulled out because there are almost brand new bikes for the same price...so i will keep looking. Plus , i just got my vulcan 750 to where i mostly want it. Just got back from my second bike pack ride...20 riders or so...it was cool to see all the other bikes. Those vtx's seem like they can be modified big time!

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
after taking my stepson for a ride yesterday I am thinking of it also, he is 14 and170 lbs, it was pretty tight. with my stepdaughter on back I cant even tell they are there, both of them are about 110 lbs. took my wife for a ride once and almost had to sit on the tank, we wont go into her weight. but if I did I think I would still keep the vn because it is so much fun to ride out here in the country in the twists and turns with the amount of power it has!

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
I moved to the Nomad 1500 and love it. I had both bikes for a while, but after riding the nomad I did not want to go back to the 750. I sold her for more than I originally paid after puting 20k on her. Could not have planed it better.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just picked up my new 2009 VTX1300 last week. I absolutely love it so far. The extra weight and size of the bike is no problem at all and is what makes the bike comfortable. I am vertically callenged at 5'5" and have no problem flat footing at stops. The only thing I did was install some pullback riser handlebar mounts so I don't have to reach so far and now the bike fits me perfectly. So far I am getting 47 mpg but I ride very conservatively. Plenty of power, nice deep sound and so much more comfortable out on the hiway. I have the aluminum wheels, not spokes. The bike is carbuerated, not FI unless you go for the 2010 interstate or stateline model. I don't think you would be disappointed, but there are a lot of bikes on the used marked so hold out for a good deal
no matter what bike you like.
Cheman

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What kind of specific risers etc did you get? did you have to mess with the wiring much? I like my elbows slightly bent more like the mini ape hangers on the vn750. Not a big fan of the drag bar for long distance...

·
Registered
195 Posts
I got the Scootworks Phat II risers for the VTX. There are many sizes out there. These have a 4" rise(2"more than stock) and 3" of pullback.
There was plenty of excess wire but I had to reroute the clutch cable and the throttle cables to the back of the triple tree instead of the front and there was no extra to play with. Almost thought I would have to get longer cables.
Cheman

·
Registered
195 Posts
BTW, different models of the VTX come with different handlebars. I have the Touring model which does not have drag bars.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just picked up a 03 Victory TC with the 92cid motor. I have to put a new stator in the VN750, but have no intentions of getting rid of it. The TC is great on long rides and with my gf on the back, but the VN750 is so much better in town and when I am solo.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
I want to get a bigger cruiser eventually, along with a crotch rocket (probably a GSXR 750) and maybe even a Goldwing. But this is all much further down the road.

One thing is for sure though, I will never get rid of the Vulcan. I like it too much, and it has sentimental value being that it is my first bike.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
I had a 2006 vulcan 1500 on the highway it was awesome it would cruise at 90 all day long it got good gas mileage and was comfortable all around good for long rides. but i love my 750 for the twisties. and when i had to make a decision I sold the 1500. but I am looking again now that the truck is payed off.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
I know y'all hate Harleys, but after lookin at this and listening to y'all talk about how expensive they are, I am thinking about selling my Sportster, but since it is a girls bike I'll let it go for one quarter of the price of this one...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-Lowrider-FXDLI-/180547585986?pt=US_motorcycles
If interested just call BR-549...:rockon:...
Have a good one...Old Dog...
I dont think you are going to get that in Kornfield Kounty but junior would try

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just purchased a new '08 Vulcan 1600 hold over, i wanted the shaft drive. Dealer made me a very good deal.I also looked at the Honda, but read a few bad reviews on line. I also thought that if my vn750 '86 was still running that was as good a review as I would ever find. Overall I love the new bike, may change the handle bars with a riser, handles great, power to spare, ride is excellent. Can't wait to get through the "break in" and really see what she will do. The 750 is handed down to my daughter who looks like a pro and is learning to ride; just took the state motorcycle licensing course, that bike should go a few more years.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I dont think you are going to get that in Kornfield Kounty but junior would try
Awwww crap, they have changed the price from the $135,000 to $13,500, what a shame, guess I'll have to cancel my offer to sell also...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I have no major complaints about the 1500. My only issue is the spokes. If I had it to do over again, I'd wait for a grand deal on a Nomad. I have mine outfitted with most of the stuff as far as capacity, as the Nomad comes with, although I love the looks of the hard bags and don't particularly like my saddlebags, but I will change them eventually. But the main thing is the mag wheels. The 1500 is very nimble for a bike this size, and has handled the twisties better than I would have expected. No, not quite the nimble handling of the 750, but it weighs 200 lbs more and has a 150 tire on the front. (might be a 160--I've only bought one and that was a year ago) The roominess and ride is amazing, and I weigh 260 ish, and with my wife on the back with her 1XX ish it still ran like a spotted ape. We couldn't have both fit on my 750. I've got the mustang wide touring seats on the 1500 and the driver's backrest, and I can ride all day and not get butt cramps. They also make all kinds of aftermarket stuff for the bigger Vulcan's. For the reliability and the price, I can't imagine ever not owning a Vulcan.

As far as the spokes, hopefully I'll get over it. I've seen some amazing deals on some Nomads lately though and it sure makes me wish I'd waited for one to show up. There are a few listed on VROC in the classifieds. One VROC'er was selling his 04 with 11K miles, FI in pristine condition, even had new rubber on it for $5K to make room in his garage for a Goldwing Trike he inherited from his late father in law. It was in VA or I would have been on his door step that night with cash!

I ain't dogging the Honda VTX's or any other bike. I think they are fine looking bikes. But this is a Vulcan site so I thought I'd throw in my homer 2 cents worth! :carryflag

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
I moved to the Nomad 1500 and love it. I had both bikes for a while, but after riding the nomad I did not want to go back to the 750. I sold her for more than I originally paid after puting 20k on her. Could not have planed it better.
I've thought about "sizing up" ~ especially when I'm on an extended road trip. But don't you miss the famed "nimbleness" of the 750? Or is the Nomad more nimble than I imagine it to be?

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
This bigger bikes are big to me. I am 5'3" and 120 lbs. However, the handling on the honda 1100 is really good. I have no problem at stops. And it feels well balanced. Not pushing the honda over any other bike, I was just surprised at how easy it was to ride and get used to it.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
It's obviously relative to how big you are. I'm average height at 5-9 and wide at 260. I never really felt like the 750 was too small for me. In fact it always seemed a tad tall for my short legs. I have a feeling that shorter people who are used to the 750 would feel really comfortable on the lower saddled cruisers, especially ones that aren't too heavy i.e. the shadow 1100. I'm sure that you will feel different on any other bike after you are comfortable with the 750. The tanks on the larger cruisers are wider and you will feel your knees being pushed out a bit, compared to the narrow rider end of the 750 tank. But the first thing you will probably notice is how easy it is to flat foot while sitting on the typical cruiser style bikes compared to the 750. Not all bikes of this style are the same though. The Shadow 750 I've ridden several times now, that you would think would be nimble at least comparably to the Vulcan 750 is not nearly as nimble as my 1500 and doesn't compare in any way to the Vulcan 750. It does sit lower, but I had to really muscle it into slow turns, and really push in to higher speed turns and shift my weight. On the trip I took about 6 weeks ago we all swapped bikes a couple times and both the other guys said the 1500 just moved into every curve and turn like a small bike, especially compared to the Shadow 750. I don't know what the geometry is that makes it respond to turns, but they nailed it on the 1500 and missed it on the Shadow 750. I've never ridden a Shadow 1100 to make any comparison, but it sounds like they did a good job on its design.
Everyone that I know who have ridden the Nomad says the same thing, like what I've experienced on the 1500. It really handles amazingly well. I got to ride Melissa Holt's 750 about 2 months ago and it has been a year since I sold my 750 and it felt really strange to get back on one. Of course, it isn't what I'm used to now. I had mine 3 years and have only had the 1500 1.5 years, but I have no desire to go back, or even if I had the room, I don't think I'd own another 750 just because it wouldn't get ridden much if ever. Now that I'm used to the 1500 I don't feel like I'm missing anything the 750 had to offer. Logic tells me that the 750 would handle better on really twisty roads, but the way the 1500 handles the twisties, I don't feel like I lost anything--and part of that I'm sure is just being used to the bike. I'm sure I was more tentative on the 1500 the first few times I got to ride the twisties, but once I figured out it hangs onto the curves as good as it does, I have no regrets. If it does lack a little of the handling the 750 had, it more than makes up for it in so many ways...

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I rode a 750 honda and I feel the same as you do about the handling. Especially in the slow turns.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts