Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked all over this forum for everything I could find on installing driving lights but can't find the answer to my questions so forgive me if this is discussed elsewhere, I can't find it.
1- Has anyone found any other options for mounting driving lights OTHER THAN spending $200 plus for a fancy thick cruiser chrome light bar, and I don't mean making one yourself???
2- Is there anything made specifically for the Vulcan 750 for this purpose?
3- Why do we need a light bar at all? Why can't small driving lights be mounted directly with a little bracket to the forks utilizing the bolts from the lower triple tree fork clamps? (I think that's what it's called)
Thanks for any input, if anyone has pics of anything applicable that would be great to see...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
I have looked all over this forum for everything I could find on installing driving lights but can't find the answer to my questions so forgive me if this is discussed elsewhere, I can't find it.
1- Has anyone found any other options for mounting driving lights OTHER THAN spending $200 plus for a fancy thick cruiser chrome light bar, and I don't mean making one yourself???
2- Is there anything made specifically for the Vulcan 750 for this purpose?
3- Why do we need a light bar at all? Why can't small driving lights be mounted directly with a little bracket to the forks utilizing the bolts from the lower triple tree fork clamps? (I think that's what it's called)
Thanks for any input, if anyone has pics of anything applicable that would be great to see...

1.Yes
2.No
3. You can mount them anywhere you want. The bottom fork clamp bolt is a very good spot.

Many have used the Optronics chrome lights you can find at Wal-mart now for 20 bucks. (see the "Driving lights" album in my link below.

Only issue is most lights come with 55w bulbs, so with two you got 110w total watts. Too much for the bikes electrical system.....so....every one swaps out the bulbs for 20-35w bulbs. (70w being the max the bike can handle)

I've also seen the same lights mounted on crash bars, fairings, and the bottom fork leg next to the front fender. You don't need to spend 200 dollars here.

I made the light bar you see in my link below and sold the whole thing for $65.00...(I no longer sell them btw)

Replacement bulbs for the Optronics lights are about 3 bucks each.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I make a bracket to mount lights shown below. It is aluminum, can be polished and is cheap compared to aftermarket chrome ones.
You can mount any lights you want to it. the photo shows the Optronics lights with LED bulbs installed to draw even less current and provide ample light.

if you are interested, PM me for a price. You are in NJ as I am...maybe even meet up and take a look and save on shipping :smiley_th

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
1.Yes
2.No
3. You can mount them anywhere you want. The bottom fork clamp bolt is a very good spot.

Many have used the Optronics chrome lights you can find at Wal-mart now for 20 bucks. (see the "Driving lights" album in my link below.

Only issue is most lights come with 55w bulbs, so with two you got 110w total watts. Too much for the bikes electrical system.....so....every one swaps out the bulbs for 20-35w bulbs. (70w being the max the bike can handle)

I've also seen the same lights mounted on crash bars, fairings, and the bottom fork leg next to the front fender. You don't need to spend 200 dollars here.

I made the light bar you see in my link below and sold the whole thing for $65.00...(I no longer sell them btw)

Replacement bulbs for the Optronics lights are about 3 bucks each.
Hey thanks for the time you spent addressing my questions. I looked at your pics, nice bike, same year as mine, real impressive work you've done & documented there. So my question to you now is this. I was looking at your pics from the front highlighting the light bar you made and mounted. The driving lights are right next to the cinch bolt on the lower fork clamps, you can see them about an inch apart. Why do you need the bar at all? Why couldn't you have just left the horns where they were and mounted the lights right onto those clamp bolts? Can I do that? One more thing, you state the electrical system can handle only 70 watts, is that fact? If i swap out the bulbs for 25's or even LED's, I suppose I should figure out how much the volt meter I added draws, and the Garmin Nuvi which is on all the time, and the kit I want to get from The Electrical Connection to convert the rear turn signals into driving lights (I think they are LED also)? Am I overdoing it?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I make a bracket to mount lights shown below. It is aluminum, can be polished and is cheap compared to aftermarket chrome ones.
You can mount any lights you want to it. the photo shows the Optronics lights with LED bulbs installed to draw even less current and provide ample light.

if you are interested, PM me for a price. You are in NJ as I am...maybe even meet up and take a look and save on shipping :smiley_th

What I am really interested in is eliminating that bar altogether and just mounting those lights directly onto the lower fork clamp cinch bolts, seems to me they should make a pretty sturdy mounting and also put the lights in a decent place, and wondering if there's a reason I'm not seeing why none of you have done it that way?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is what I bought. It is made for the vn750. It is not cheap.

Even though I'm trying to avoid a bar altogether, that is a very nice one. Could you share the source & price of that? It looks like that probably mounts on the same cinch bolts I was talking about...

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
Hey thanks for the time you spent addressing my questions. I looked at your pics, nice bike, same year as mine, real impressive work you've done & documented there. So my question to you now is this. I was looking at your pics from the front highlighting the light bar you made and mounted. The driving lights are right next to the cinch bolt on the lower fork clamps, you can see them about an inch apart. Why do you need the bar at all? Why couldn't you have just left the horns where they were and mounted the lights right onto those clamp bolts? Can I do that? One more thing, you state the electrical system can handle only 70 watts, is that fact? If i swap out the bulbs for 25's or even LED's, I suppose I should figure out how much the volt meter I added draws, and the Garmin Nuvi which is on all the time, and the kit I want to get from The Electrical Connection to convert the rear turn signals into driving lights (I think they are LED also)? Am I overdoing it?
If you read my answer to #3 I thought I covered this. But yes you cam mount the lights to the lower fork clamp. I know you can because I helped someone do it. We took a 1/8 thick piece of 1" wide aluminum bar ... Drilled a hole on one end for the clamp bolt and a hole at the other end for the lights mounting bolt. Bent it right there on the bike with lineman pliers.

You GPS likely doesn't use more than 1-2 watts, wouldn't worry about it, but yes you only have 70w available. Don't know what voltmeter you have, but is GOOD you have one...

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
What I am really interested in is eliminating that bar altogether and just mounting those lights directly onto the lower fork clamp cinch bolts, seems to me they should make a pretty sturdy mounting and also put the lights in a decent place, and wondering if there's a reason I'm not seeing why none of you have done it that way?
For me it was just a preference. I am sure I would have broken them off by now had I mounted them lower on the forks because I park my bike in a shed with very little room to maneuver.

I have seen others use that mounting position, but I don't like live wiring hanging down there ...again....my personal preference.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
i have used the lower clamp bolts to mount fairings before with no issues.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts