Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went to the local Parts Unlimited dealer last Friday and bought a Metzeler ME880 170/80HB-15 and had it mounted on my rear wheel. Good enough price - $159 mounted and balanced. The shop owner talked the talk and was a bit eccentric; we talked about tire roundness and the importance of balancing and what my good and bad experiences have been.

After bringing the wheel home I decided to check the mounting for roundness, runout and balance, so I set up the sawhorses with the wheel between them. Runout and roundness seemed pretty good - whew, a good mounting. Wait, it sure stops quickly at 12 o'clock. Time and time again, the tire stem rotates to top dead center, even from a standing stop at 5 o'clock. Get out some 1/4" bolts and wedge them into the tread - it took three 2-inch bolts to acheive balance.

Back at the dealer, he assures me that if he didn't add weights, then it must be with in spec, "but you're the customer..." We hang the wheel on his static balancer and, sure enough, the bubble is outside of the "great" circle, but just inside the "good" circle. "Once again sir, you're the customer and I'm going to put these weights on here because you want them." Well excuse me, Mr. Tire Dealer, you just added 28 g of lead to my wheel to get it balanced and my factory manual says the imbalance spec is less than 10 g. I am the customer and I am right - thank you very much.

So, am I off-base here? Can you feel that much imbalance? I think that 80mph up and down the freeway each day warrants eliminating every defect that I can. And this is low-hanging fruit. Should I get my own stick-on weights and balance the wheels myself?

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
You Are correct, you need to have a good balanced wheel.
You were right on having them rebalance the wheel.

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
I have a suspicion that many tires go home way out of balance.

Probably should have checked the balance on my tires.

I figure next time I'll mount and balance on my own - the tools required (harbor freight) will be paid for in 2 mount and balances - and I'll know it's done right.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts