1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
MrSkydriver
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
191 Posts
Personally I think it should be freedom to chose.. If you want to pay 3 or 4 time more for insurance that is. Having said that I also think that if Indian Larry had a helmet on he would still be building some nice rides today.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I don't think it takes a brain surgeon to figure it out... But you know they live among us, and they vote...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
I don't think it takes a brain surgeon to figure it out... But you know they live among us, and they vote...
Have a good one...Old Dog...
Yes we all know that helmets can help prevent some head injuries but don't you feel much better knowing that a massive amounts of money was spent to study years and years of accident information and with the aid of ultra expensive computers and such came to this final conclusion? Why accept the obvious when you can waste tons of money to arrive at the same conclusion? In another year or so someone will spend even more money in an attempt to prove the opposite. After all if the American government can spend millions of dollars each and every year on studies as to the effect of cow farts on the air quality than why not study motorcycle helmets and head injuries? I know I will sleep better tonight.

·
Super Moderator
11,867 Posts
Yes we all know that helmets can help prevent some head injuries but don't you feel much better knowing that a massive amounts of money was spent to study years and years of accident information and with the aid of ultra expensive computers and such came to this final conclusion? Why accept the obvious when you can waste tons of money to arrive at the same conclusion? In another year or so someone will spend even more money in an attempt to prove the opposite. After all if the American government can spend millions of dollars each and every year on studies as to the effect of cow farts on the air quality than why not study motorcycle helmets and head injuries? I know I will sleep better tonight.

Because many are too stupid to believe the obvious so you need "scientific evidence" to convince them. Anti helmet ranters for years said the same percent of riders die in states regardless of helmet laws. There was no facts either way to prove...or disprove it. Now there is.

More riders die in states with no mandatory helmet laws. I knew this, and now I have data to back it up.

So stop costing me money and wear an freaking approved helmet...;)

·
93 750
34 Posts
if you really want to know if a helmet can prevent head injuries, put a helmet on and hit yourself in the head with a brick. Now take the helmet off and hit yourself in the head with the same brick! i believe it should be a choice! (seatbelts too!) But the facts are the facts and hitting your head on something with protection hurts a lot less than without! :doh::dead_hors

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Id rather be killed/dead than crippled for life though, than be a burden to someone until I did die...I had a buddy who had this happen...his wife nursed him for 15 years...used to crap himself in the bed he was shackled to...finally, one of his "brothers", at his request, helped him end it... RIP Uncle George, one of the most badass bikers ya ever will meet, but a friend for life...I was a pallbearer...
REGARDLESS, it is wrong for the Government to mandate things like this for adults. "Free country" ?...lol...my hairy patoot ! Nazi Germany began by taking away peoples rights...the Soviets were even worse. Yep, keep condoning instead of condemning...hope I'll be dead by the time this country completely falls apart....
Helmets save lives...yes, they do...up to mebbe 40-50mph, and even thats a crapshoot...once yer over 60 on a public road, more than likely, helmet or not, goodbye....

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
A helmet will not save your life! Having enough brains inside your head, to put the damn thing on may or may not save you either, but sure raises your odds!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Well at least some of you guys in some of the states have a bit of freedom to choose, over here we just get told what we will do, been law for helmets since 1970s, plus seat belt law,s gun laws, now they are deciding on weather to grant the cops access to everyones email, and browsing rights, freedom here may as well live in China :doh:

·
Registered
459 Posts
But can you really say that you live in a free country if the only freedom you have is to make the "right" choice? You have to allow people to make the wrong choice or you really cannot claim to live in a free country. Just like distasteful speech is our only validation of the 1st amendment, making "bad" choices is our only validation of our freedom.

-Robert

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
But can you really say that you live in a free country if the only freedom you have is to make the "right" choice? You have to allow people to make the wrong choice or you really cannot claim to live in a free country. Just like distasteful speech is our only validation of the 1st amendment, making "bad" choices is our only validation of our freedom.

-Robert
Driving, and riding, on "public" road is is a privilege, not a right. Bringing freedom and rights into it doesn't make sense to me, honestly. The roads are owned by the state, and the state enforces what it feels is appropriate to allow people to operate vehicles on their roads safely.

You can feel free to ride stark naked (as long as you're out of public view) on private property!

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
If you ran for president, you'd get my vote !!!

The roads are owned by the state
This is what Gov't propaganda has done to people...you really BELIEVE that Tanner ?....your roads, are paid for by YOUR taxes...they BELONG to the taxpaying people of whatever county, state, or Fed, you ride/drive on...they belong to YOU !!!...no, its NOT a priviledge...it IS a right, but theyre trying to change that so folks believe it. The PEOPLE of the United States, ARE supposed to be the Government (remember the "by the people, for the people" thing ?????)....they are taking it slowly away ! And are conning citizens into believing it ! Sadly, because nowadays most Americans have become spineless sheep, they have most wrapped around their little fingers...frickin sad...
I guess thats why 28 yrs ago, I rode with outlaws...they knew better...I for one refuse to follow the masses like a mindless sheep. I have a brain, and a very good one. I use it.
Hey Old Hoss...got any room for a toothless old gray wolf up there in Canada ??? Id give up my left nut to be able to live there...

·
Registered
450 Posts
That article proves nothing! All it is, is are some statistic numbers observed. Every accident, climate, road condition, traffic, skill etc. changes everything! My opinion is, make helmets required for all 21 and under, after that riders choice and passengers have to obey the same.

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
Seems to me that the money could have been saved from doing the stupid study as it was unnecessary. Those who do not want to wear helmets are going to continue to not wear them even with so called scientific data. This is the point I was attempting to make. Normal thinking riders do not need the study to prove what they already know. For those that are too ignorant to wear a helmet then all I can say is, "You can't fix stupid." Save the money from all these worthless studies and just use common sense. If not then I guess we will have to sweep up your brains when you do crash. This is not meant to be cruel but in my job now I am the one that has to clean up the mess on the highway after the fools crash.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
ok...here is my 2 cents....I personally think it's worth wearing a helmet.

Helmets will protect you in some incidents, but a helmet in and of itself is not always going to always save your life.

We just buried a family member and his wife is recovering from her severe injuries. They were wearing helmets, protective clothing, and driving at 2:30 in the afternoon when they were hit head on by a person in a car who was swatting a bee in his vehicle and crossed into their lane. A total freak accident....and neither of them had severe head injuries, but he was partially dismembered and bled to death at the scene. She nearly lost both her legs.

so tell me....did wearing a helmet really matter to them?

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
.... For those that are too ignorant to wear a helmet then all I can say is, "You can't fix stupid." Save the money from all these worthless studies and just use common sense. If not then I guess we will have to sweep up your brains when you do crash. This is not meant to be cruel but in my job now I am the one that has to clean up the mess on the highway after the fools crash.
You know, a lot of people say that about riding a motorcycle period. After all, it's common sense that being in a car is safer than riding a bike....can't fix stupid....
Riding a bike is inherently dangerous. Riding without proper gear is also. It's a matter of degrees. What is acceptable risk to you, may not be for me. So to me it's a personal choice. but, considering that govt. owns the roads (most of them anyway), I say leave it to the States to decide helmet law.....

·
Registered
319 Posts
If you ran for president, you'd get my vote !!!

This is what Gov't propaganda has done to people...you really BELIEVE that Tanner ?....your roads, are paid for by YOUR taxes...they BELONG to the taxpaying people of whatever county, state, or Fed, you ride/drive on...they belong to YOU !!!...no, its NOT a priviledge...it IS a right, but theyre trying to change that so folks believe it. The PEOPLE of the United States, ARE supposed to be the Government (remember the "by the people, for the people" thing ?????)....they are taking it slowly away ! And are conning citizens into believing it ! Sadly, because nowadays most Americans have become spineless sheep, they have most wrapped around their little fingers...frickin sad...
I guess thats why 28 yrs ago, I rode with outlaws...they knew better...I for one refuse to follow the masses like a mindless sheep. I have a brain, and a very good one. I use it.
Hey Old Hoss...got any room for a toothless old gray wolf up there in Canada ??? Id give up my left nut to be able to live there...
Amen Wolfie! There are rides (slower speeds) I like wear I don't wear a helmet, but if I am riding on roads at higher speeds I prefer a helmet and it's because of comfort due to the higher wind, oh yea and for saftety too.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
....your roads, are paid for by YOUR taxes...they BELONG to the taxpaying people of whatever county, state, or Fed, you ride/drive on...they belong to YOU !!!...no, its NOT a priviledge...it IS a right...
This is just asinine....
So I guess all Govt. property really belongs to me. That's kool.... maybe tomorrow I'll take Air Force One out for a spin..... or perhaps fire some people I don't like in the Govt.....after all, they work for me. Hey I know, since the road belongs to me I think I'll put up a tool booth.....

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I get sick of this being brought up over and over ,even with the disclaimer of I'm not wanting to start any controversy.When every one on here has seen this give the soap boxers something to rant about.Geez.

I know wearing a helmet is safer and smarter.But so is riding in a car. Not drinking also is smarter,it has been scientifically proven to cause liver problems and drinkers are less healthy than nondrinkers.

I don't drink but guess what?I don't care if you do go ahead and kill yourself slowly,it's your choice and it's legal too.

It is easy to point your finger at some one else's faults .The thing we need to realize is we all have them and if you don't think so ,you have a problem.A-you are either a big enough liar to convince yourself you are perfect or, B-You are so stupid you think you know everything.

I don't care how you live your life.I would rather we all made better choices,but the fact is we are all different.

I'm with whoever it was that posted:dead_hors

This has been talked about ad nauseum.Enough already. I don't care what your position,standing,opinion ,thoughts or lack thereof ,are on the subject.Just mind your own business and I'll tend to mine.

If you all keep this up ,I promise I WILL start a thread on oil ,synthetic vs dino,what brand is best,yada,yada,yada.

Go ride your motorcycle,have fun,enjoy your life people and quit trying to control everyone else's.Nothing here to see but more.:baby::baby:

Rant over,Have a nice one.Denny

1 - 20 of 91 Posts