Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a whopping $1 off my motorcycle insurance after taking the advanced motorcycle safety course. I was curious what kind of discount others have received after taking a safety course? Mainly I want to know if my insurance guy has taken a "cut" of my discount. FYI I only have liability, no comprehensive or "full" coverage which he said affected my discount. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
50 bucks off my insurance after taking the advanced course. also just a little bit over min insurance requirements... I have 6,000 in accessory coverage and Road Side assistance... I believe. Ohh and I upped the medical as well to 50,000 i think...

·
Registered
450 Posts
I never did the course. I was curious how much I would get off by taking the course. Course is $250. I have liability and they said it would be $13 lower for three years and after that no discounts. The $39 dollars I would save would be eaten up by fuel alone getting to and from the course. So, i'm not taking the course ever, waste of my time and money.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
The Hurt Study (http://www.magpie.com/nycmoto/hurt.html) shows that those who take a riding course are less likely to be involved in an accident than untrained riders, and when they are, the accidents are less severe.

I took the course because I thought it would make me a better, safer, rider.

·
Super Moderator
11,926 Posts
I never did the course. I was curious how much I would get off by taking the course. Course is $250. I have liability and they said it would be $13 lower for three years and after that no discounts. The $39 dollars I would save would be eaten up by fuel alone getting to and from the course. So, i'm not taking the course ever, waste of my time and money.
Guess you believe you are the best bike rider in the world......(and have nothing to learn.)

I carry all the insurance one can, and my discount is about 100 bucks a year. But I did not take a riding course to get a discount...I took it to learn more about riding the bike. The "Advanced course" would be more helpful to those that already have riding experience.

I also took a day long course on road racing, no insurance discount for that, but it did teach me how to brake and turn better.

Chances are you can always learn something new simply by getting another viewpoint even when you believe you know all there is to know.

One little tip you may have never though of can save your life. Learning never really stops. If you are too cheap to spend money on an education that's alot worse than just being too poor.....

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
Lots of people can ride a motorcycle but not all of them can do it properly. I also had a minimum discount but I know that what I learned during the course has saved me well beyond the $250 course cost in accident avoidance. Several times I know I would have been involved in an accident with serious injuries because of other drivers that did not pay attention to the possibility of a motorcycle being on their "personal" roadway. There are several ways to look at cost savings and for me I have found that my one accident was minor because I remembered what I was taught in the course and I did not end up in the hospital or the morgue. I also did not have to buy a new bike. The cost of the course was nothing compared to what may have happened and I am willing to admit that I am not an expert rider but I am continuing to learn and will be taking the advanced course soon because it is one of the best and cheapest investments a rider can make if they are serious about riding a motorcycle for any real length of time.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I guess it is to the person himself wether he takes a riders course or not I do not think you have to just to be safe on the road, I have been riding for 40 years and the only incident I have had was being hit in the rear while stationary by a moron in a bus and that was 5 days after passing my motorcycle test, maybe I have just been lucky who knows and no I don't think I am the best rider on the road and that it couldn't happen to me, I am always aware of what the others on the road are doing and it is my opinion that if you ride with care and are sensible you have a good chance of being safe, and as for dicounts for the course we get discounts for no claims on the policy which is around 60% and as long as you have no accidents that stays with you even when you change insurers I don't think you would get much more for passing the advanced course over here, like i say just my opinion :smiley_th

·
Registered
445 Posts
Dang, $100 discount? My full coverage is only costing me $100 a year. I could go with just liability, but with my luck some cager would knock her over in a parking lot while I was eating somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
11,926 Posts
Dang, $100 discount? My full coverage is only costing me $100 a year. I could go with just liability, but with my luck some cager would knock her over in a parking lot while I was eating somewhere.
Again remember you can't compare insurance prices from one place to another.

Where you live, the value of your bike (my FJR is still worth about 9 grand) , your age, sex, past driving issues (I do collect speeding tickets) and the cities crime rate and tax base all figure in to your insurance cost.

A guy that has the same bike as you, same age, etc can pay more simply because he lives accross the street. Insurance companies divide areas into regions and it's possible to pay more cause your house sits on THIS side of some imaginary line.

·
Registered
619 Posts
X2 with that KM also over here colour of bike/car alters the premium just because more red ones have had more accidents than blue ones, in fact any old reason that they can come up with to raise the cost :(

·
Super Moderator
11,926 Posts
Yep...I got a break on my insurance also because I got them to list it as a "Touring Bike" instead of a "Sportbike"....that alone saved me a fistfull of yen.

And simply got a good starting rate because I have more than 2 years riding experience. I asked why I shouldn't get even more considering I've been riding 20 times that, but it's just written on their chart as "2 and over"...:(

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Never took a course, but been driving a LONG time with no accidents or claims.

I am covered year round even though we lose a few month of riding here in the north east....and each year it actually goes down a bit for years of no claims.
That reminds me...since it is getting cheaper, I have to look into better coverage or lower deductibles :smiley_th

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Well, I guess I can only speak for myself here, but I do plan to take the riders course.

I have ridden a few thousand miles, and feel quite comfortable now. I just think there will be scenarios covered in the training that could benefit me every day. I would hate to get hurt over something I had a chance to practice or learn about at the course.

My wife and I will take the class together here before she starts to ride her bike.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Dave, I am an insurance broker in "The Ham". Send me your contact info in a PM & i will gladly discuss the options with you. I don't do personal insurance, just commercial but I have all my toys insured and have been doing this since 1976.
Best way to check is to go on line with all the Underwriters, Allstate, Geico, Progressive etc. quote them up and see. If you carried physical damage on your bike , you would see a larger discount.
Just let me know

Ride safe & for a LONG time

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have been riding over 20 years, been in alot of situations. I never had an accident nor laid one down. The course will not teach me anything I don't already know. To me it is a waist of time and money. Only reason I even looked it up was to see about a discount and that was a joke. For any new rider, yes, the course is a great thing! Most people out there cannot ride~

·
Super Moderator
11,926 Posts
^ I would kinda see that the basic course might not teach you stuff you haven't already figured out on your own. Not that sure about the Advanced Course. Seems you believe what you believe and no ones going to change your mind. Likely was a "waste of time" repeating what you already said.

I'd suggest a road racing school however. Some tour local racetracks, but many are hard to find locally.

I do remember when I had a few races under my belt, we had a guy show up that was intrested in joining our club. He said he had 15 years of riding experience. Never went down. Kinda cocky about it. He did some laps by himself (on a Honda 750F) and pulled in and said "This sh*ts easy!"

I, being the next newest in the group, went out with him for 5 laps. I was on a smaller bike (RD 400) with street tires. I lost him in the second turn and lapped him on the 4th lap.

You can always learn more. If you think you know EVERYTHING...your are likely to be shown you're a fool.....

·
Registered
450 Posts
Not being cocky about it nor claim to know everything. When someone asks I then tell. Waste of time sure, but a couple minutes from 3 posts is better then spending well over $300 and wasting 20+ hours.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
I've taken the MSF Experienced Rider Course a couple of times - most recently last year. I've been riding for over 30 years and never had an accident either, but I still find these courses valuable. The course is NOT about teaching you how to ride, but how to ride better. The "instructors" are called RiderCoaches, and like atheletic coaches, observe your riding techniques and offer advice on how to improve your skills. No matter how good you think you are, you can always improve. Even after years of experience we often fall into bad habits that we are not aware of.

Everyone agrees that it is good thing to maintain your riding skills by practicing cornering, braking and swerving in an empty parking lot. The MSF course basically gets you to practice basic riding techniques with a coach to help and advise. I never heard anyone who took the course say that it was a waste of time. I would recommend that everyone take rider training every few years to improve your skills - even those with years of experience.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Not being cocky about it nor claim to know everything. When someone asks I then tell. Waste of time sure, but a couple minutes from 3 posts is better then spending well over $300 and wasting 20+ hours.
I agree that the "basic" course that includes classroom and where they supply 250cc bikes to learn how to ride is a waste of time for experienced riders.

The ERC is 1 day on your own bike.

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
I took the course before I got my license, and Geico gave me a $25 discount after I finished. Then they hit me with a $25 inexperienced rider surcharge. So I didn't save a dime, but I thought the course was great, and it allowed me to avoid having to take the state road test.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts