Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got to replace the ignition coil, and stator on my bike. Was looking at Center Stands (Thinking about the one from K&L). I was also looking at motorcycle lifts, and saw one, with fairly great reviews posted all over the net, for 370. I'm not normally the type to get things from HF that I want to last, but this seems like a pretty good deal, people have used them for years and still love them.

Does anyone here on the forum have one, and have anything to say about it? I know I don't NEED it for my repairs, but I do have a few injuries that having the bike lifted up will make me much, much more comfortable and faster.

Any help is appreciated, Thank you All!

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
I don't really like those Platform lifts, you lock your front tire into it, they are stable, but you can't really use it to remove the tires, front/rear. For all other repairs and stuff they work great.

I have an ATV/Motorcycle lift, its a LARIN brand, I bought it at Mills Fleet Farm, on sale for $79, normally like $119. It works great, i put it under the bike, start lifting it up, then use ratchet straps to secure it to the stand, lift it up more and lock it into place. It works great for my 4wheelers too.
I used it a while back to do my spline lube and to take both my tires off to take them in and have my new rubbers mounted. The bike went on the stand friday afternoon, and came off tuesday night, so it stayed on the lift for about 4 days. I was lucky cuz it rained all those days so i didnt miss any good riding days, lol.

Anyway, heres a link to the lift from cyclegear.com website:
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L...item=LAR_ATVJ3&name=LARIN_Motorcycle/ATV_Lift
They want $139 for it, but if you go to Fleet Farm or any other local places you may find it a bit cheaper, even more if its on sale.

I'd like to note, that you may think its a cheap lift and you get what you pay for, but i was at the Harley D. shop and they have one just like it, but black with the orange HD logo on it, and a $599 price tag!! Freaking ridiculous!I asked the guy who the manufacturer was, he said it was manufactured by Harley Davidson and is a great quality lift, i continued looking at it, and hidden on the steel structure was LARIN.
I just started laughing!!

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I think they both have their place, the platform type & the jack type, I only have the jack type but my son has bought a platform type...
I have a back that don't take kind to stooping, and the platform type is really great for wrenching on the sides and changing the oil & filter etc., but as stated the jack type is best suited for the tire change and some other stuff, IMHO...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
I got this one at Farm and Fleet. works great

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I have the yellow alum. one from Sears, a bit more expensive than the cheaper ones, no better I think, but a bit lighter for this ole tired back...lol...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Here's the one I have from HF. It's alright. Does what it's supposed to do for the number of times I have needed it. Yes, it's made in Taiwan (or somewhere over there), but it is inexpensive and seems ok.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-capacity-atv-motorcycle-lift-2792.html
I bought this one a couple years ago and used the heck out of it. The only problem I had with it wasn't motorcycle use related. I tore the 3/4" square spreader tube off the front arms. Darn tube had a a very thin wall on it (<1/32"?), welded in a new 1"Ø x .120 wall tube. My fault, I had a heavy unbalanced load on it.
To use this lift on a VN, I had to use a couple of wood blocks on the top to clear the starter and center stand mount.
I would still give it a :smiley_th

·
Registered
1,750 Posts

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
The shop that did my tires used the platform type of lift. They set the bike on the center stand at the edge of the platform. raised the platform and removed the tires. I don't remember if they used a jack to raise the front tire or if they used straps to tie the back of the bike down.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
The good lifts have a drop door for rear tire changing.

DT

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll shop around some more them. I'd like whatever I get to have a pin lock on it, just for my safety's sake. I keep pretty busy, and I'm learning as I go, slowly, so the bike may end up on the lift/center stand for a few weeks total. Based on what I need atm to change out the ignition coil, the jack fits more my immediate needs, but I have a neck/back injury, and the stooping over gets to me. I may try and talk the missus into just getting both now, it's not like I'm not going to use them. I'm sure they'll both more than pay for themselves as long as they last.

I appreciate everyone's advice! Thank you!

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
Lifts are the bomb!!! I had the MC/ATV jack and was frankly not impressed. It did not seem as stable as I would like when you're talking 500+ pounds being yanked on. If you combine the MC lift with a flat jack there is no rwason why you can't also use it to do tires. You can just see the flat jack lifting the rear wheel. For the front wheel, all you do is ratchet strap the back of the bike down while it's on the center stand.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
but I have a neck/back injury, and the stooping over gets to me. I appreciate everyone's advice! Thank you!
You said it, me too, you might do good to get a mechanics stool, I bought a pretty cheap but good one from Sears (Craftsman) and it has been a back saver...
If I remember correctly it was on sale for +/-$30, has 5 sets of caster wheels and a tool tray bottom...

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've got a stool, nothing fancy, but it's sturdy (inherited from a neighbor who was moving). I'm really thinking that the lift, and a jack together are probably the safest for me. I hadn't thought of the bike moving a bit when I'm wrenching on it, and I'd very much like to strap it down securely. It's a bit more expensive to go that route, but I think the benefits will outweigh the costs. The Harbor Freight Lift has the drop out for the rear tire, and really does have some stellar reviews. Doesn't hurt that our Sunday paper had a 20% off coupon either. I'm sure between tire changes, routine maintenance, and everything else, that The lift will make my life a lot easier for $300.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i've been thinking of getting a jack for my vn750, but when i look under the bike, all i see is engine hanging down below the frame. you surely don't lift your bikes by jacking on the engine, do you? how do you safely lift the bike without screwing up the engine? do you place 2x4s across the lift arms to catch the frame? or are there some secret lift points i don't know about and i'm just showing my ignorance. i'd appreciate any help/advice you can give me. thanx in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Im thinking the next time i do tires..i will use a floor jack with 2by6s across the frame and lift from the center and just leave it up with blocks or something

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
I'll shop around some more them. I'd like whatever I get to have a pin lock on it, just for my safety's sake. I keep pretty busy, and I'm learning as I go, slowly, so the bike may end up on the lift/center stand for a few weeks total. Based on what I need atm to change out the ignition coil, the jack fits more my immediate needs, but I have a neck/back injury, and the stooping over gets to me. I may try and talk the missus into just getting both now, it's not like I'm not going to use them. I'm sure they'll both more than pay for themselves as long as they last.

I appreciate everyone's advice! Thank you!
Hey let us know what you go with and if you can, post a review. Good luck! :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts